The Student Room Group

confused

I am a computer science graduate, with a few years experience as a developer. I'm looking to do a masters. But I'm not sure what field to choose.
Choices are -

international relations - because of interest in current affairs and latest updates. But I'm not sure I want to work long term in that. Have almost crossed this off.

PR - because I love following latest adverts, social media trends and how PR works for brands, people etc. But I am a bit of an introvert, so not sure I should get into such a charged field?

Phew,
last - cyber security - interesting subjects and related to my undergrad. Not sure about the level of C programming required though, as I have mostly worked with PHP.

any help would be much appreciated!
Original post by redchilly
I am a computer science graduate, with a few years experience as a developer. I'm looking to do a masters. But I'm not sure what field to choose.
Choices are -

international relations - because of interest in current affairs and latest updates. But I'm not sure I want to work long term in that. Have almost crossed this off.

PR - because I love following latest adverts, social media trends and how PR works for brands, people etc. But I am a bit of an introvert, so not sure I should get into such a charged field?

Phew,
last - cyber security - interesting subjects and related to my undergrad. Not sure about the level of C programming required though, as I have mostly worked with PHP.

any help would be much appreciated!

From my perspective, you seem a bit confused about what you want to do in the future. International Relations and PR are wildly different from what you currently do and what your degree is in, and I'm not sure the reasons you've given for wanting to pursue a Masters in them are solid enough to be able to study the subject at a high level and successfully complete it.

What is your goal? Does it require a Masters degree? If you're not sure and just wanting to go back to uni for the hell of it, I'd have a rethink.Masters level study is difficult and expensive.
IR and PR are trendy areas that people like the idea of working in.

However you have no work experience related to these employment areas which are both sought after and very niche.

Unless you have opportunities that you can exploit for work experience or work experience is part of your course you are not likely to practically gain anything from this course of action apart from the degree course fees.

However Cyber security is a link from your current job experience and is very much in demand and you are very likely to gain from this course.

So I think this course of action makes more sense.

Lots of course providers sell dreams to students for photography, acting, marketing, conservation etc but it is just mass supply of labour beyond requirements.

Do not overlook your current job advantages for what may be a pipe dream.
Reply 3
Apply both of them and see which one gives you a conditional or laxer conditional offer. You'd not lose anything from doing so.

Quick Reply