The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Identifying as a gender does not mean you are that gender.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Right, I'm about to head into some guitar rehearsals so can't deal with this in full but if you want to talk biology I suggest you do a bit of reading on the neurobiology of gender.

Dr of sciology
Original post by nutz99
The problem is that these so called genders are as real as the man in the moon. Keep them in your head where they don't affect people who prefer to live in a reality.

But gender is real, identity and behaviour that is associated with or a response to biological sex is real, it's just that not everyone has the same association or response. What's so hard to understand? Sometimes a biological 'man' prefers to identify and live as a gender 'woman'.
Original post by JackFu
Yes

Then that's a significant intellectual and observational failure on your part.
Reply 63
Original post by Axiomasher
But gender is real, identity and behaviour that is associated with or a response to biological sex is real, it's just that not everyone has the same association or response. What's so hard to understand? Sometimes a biological 'man' prefers to identify and live as a gender 'woman'.
I've already said that its possible for a man to be stuck in a woman's body and vice versa. Anything outside of that is just twaddle. As soon as I hear the words "I identify as...." i think nutter!

You crushed your argument with the word "prefers". It's not like going shopping and picking a box of chocolates because they are the ones you "prefer".
Original post by JackFu
Dr of sciology

Eh? I'm assuming you're attempting to say Dr of Sociology, which is still both wrong and irrelevant (the colleagues I've had have held doctorates in organic chemistry, biochemistry and analytical chemistry, and I'm commencing one in thermal chemistry in September; and neurobiology isn't sociology) but at least is a thing
Original post by nutz99
...You crushed your argument with the word "prefers"...

But gender-based social and cultural activities are a 'preference' insofar as they are not biologically determined. Most biological men, for example, prefer to dress according to the expected convention even though they could wear frilly dresses and heels. Consider yourself 'crushed'.
Original post by nutz99
I think you're a very confused person. Delusional is believing there are more than 2 real genders. Believing that you are something does not make it real!

How do you know you are a man? And btw - the fact that you have a knob isn't an indication. That just says you have a knob. How do you know you are a man by gender?
Original post by nutz99
That makes no sense whatsoever. Consider yourself as being regarded as a bit of a dimwit...

From you Sir, that is a compliment. Assuming you are biologically male, do you sometimes wear trousers and sometimes dresses, sometimes flat shoes sometimes heels, sometimes wear lipstick sometimes not? Have a little think before you answer.
Reply 68
From you Sir, that is a compliment. Assuming you are biologically male, do you sometimes wear trousers and sometimes dresses, sometimes flat shoes sometimes heels, sometimes wear lipstick sometimes not? Have a little think before you answer.
I think we can now take my inference to confirmation stage.

I have actually worn a dress and heels but that was with several other bearded blokes at a Christmas play. Not something I would ever do again!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 69
Then that's a significant intellectual and observational failure on your part.

lol, a concept from social and political correctness does not suggest anything to me, whether it is my failure from observation isn't "significant" too.
Reply 70
.calm down, it was a joke :smile: no offence intended, I believe your argument has value but it just does not me
Eh? I'm assuming you're attempting to say Dr of Sociology, which is still both wrong and irrelevant (the colleagues I've had have held doctorates in organic chemistry, biochemistry and analytical chemistry, and I'm commencing one in thermal chemistry in September; and neurobiology isn't sociology) but at least is a thing
Shut up you bigot
But gender-based social and cultural activities are a 'preference' insofar as they are not biologically determined. Most biological men, for example, prefer to dress according to the expected convention even though they could wear frilly dresses and heels. Consider yourself 'crushed'.

you appear to have some understanding that Gender is in fact made of of three things - even if you do struggle a bit with some of the nunance - but if you are cisgender or a totally uncracked egg that's entirely typical

1. Gender Identity, which the science increasingly suggests is innate and not easily, if at all, changed by Conversion Therapy and the like.

2. Gender Expression which is a conscious choice and can be played with as it;s mainly something which adults have a substantial amount of control over e.g ( a good proportion of those involved with drag are not trans for example, you will find Butch women of any / all /no sexuality )

3. Gender Roles - which is what society expects and projects onto you based on your expression - which the 'gender' that the 2nd wave Rad Fems want to 'abolish'
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by InArduisFouette
you appear to have some understanding that Gender is in fact made of of three things - even if you do struggle a bit with some of the nunance - but if you are cisgender or a totally uncracked egg
that's entirely typical

1. Gender Identity, which the science increasingly suggests is innate and not easily, if at all, changed by Conversion Therapy and the like.

2. Gender Expression which is a conscious choice and can be played with as it;s mainly something which adults have a substantial amount of control over e.g ( a good proportion of those involved with drag are not trans for example, you will find Butch women of any / all /no sexuality )

3. Gender Roles - which is what society expects and projects onto you based on your expression - which the 'gender' that the 2nd wave Rad Fems want to 'abolish'

So, trans people work well on toast with siracha?
Eh, identity and your sense of self is what you are. For a parallel - nationality, I was born in England to Scottish parents, if Scotland had gone independent I'd almost certainly by entitled to dual nationality: but in terms of who I am - I'm a Scot; and except when I'm bantering with English friends about how **** youse are at football, no-one bats an eyelid - my national identity is who I am, that's not controversial. Why should it be with gender, which could be considered as your neurological sex?

"neurological sex" - what utter nonsense. Sex is biological reality.

What you may think you feel like (almost always boiling down to stereotypes, e.g. how many transwomen talk about "I knew I was a woman when I put on my first heels" or "I always liked pink and doing girly things") is nothing but personality. "Gender (identity)" as a concept is bogus and is just used by self proclaimed progressives as a label and as a social weapon.
Original post by xylas
Very true but I would add that you can identify as anything but that doesn't mean it's a gender. A gender is something that society has decided and as of now that means either male or female.

That is sex. Male/Female is sex. Gender is how you express yourself, which necessarily relies on stereotypes of femininity and masculinity.

Doesn't make him a woman (woman: human female).
Reply 77
Original post by yudothis
That is sex. Male/Female is sex. Gender is how you express yourself, which necessarily relies on stereotypes of femininity and masculinity.

Nope. I said a gender is something that society has decided. How do you figure that society decides sex?

And my gender is male, do you dispute that?
Original post by yudothis
what utter nonsense.

Cheers for summing up your post in the opening line so I don't have to bother reading it :yy: The brain being sexually morphic is well established and the body of evidence points towards brain structure and activity more akin to their experienced gender rather than what would be expected of their genitalia (because of course that's all people policing gender like yourself are interested in):

https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article/85/5/2034/2660626
https://academic.oup.com/cercor/article/18/8/1900/285954
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0083947

I can link more... That you dislike facts doesn't make them false.
I personally identified as an F35-B until today when I saw the new fighter in development, I now identify as the Tempest fighter aircraft.

Latest

Trending

Trending