I have a naughty cat. How can I teach him to be a good boi? Watch

Bezoar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm looking after a little kitty for a friend this summer, he's about 1 year old and he's adorably cuddly and cute. The only problem is that every night at 3.30am on the dot he meows like crazy outside my room.. And he doesn't stop until the sky outside starts to get light.

I've tried to placate him by talking to him, giving him strokes, treats etc and they keep him quiet for about 3-5 mins before he's off again. It's definitely not hunger as I make sure his food and water bowls are full before I go to sleep. I already have trouble with sleep and his (albeit adorable) meows in the early hours definitely aren't helping.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to correct this behaviour? Like how to teach him that when his humans are sleeping, he shouldn't expect attention?

Thanks in advance!!
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Rum Ham
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Let him in your room with you? Idk what else you could do? Does he go outside maybe he’s meowing because he wants to go out and get you a nice present (in the form of a decapitated mouse or something).
Bezoar
Rep:
?
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
Let him in your room with you? Idk what else you could do? Does he go outside maybe he’s meowing because he wants to go out and get you a nice present (in the form of a decapitated mouse or something).
I always keep my door open for him so he can come and go as he likes. For some reason he sits a few metres away from my door and meows and only comes to my bed if i call him, and then he goes back outside and meows.

He's an indoor cat and he's terrified of the outside lol, I don't think it's that he wants to go out.
AppleB
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
A nice present :rofl: so cute lol
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbh, there isn't really anything you can do. This is normal cat behaviour since they are most active at night and its only natural for them to crave attention then. Letting him in the room with you would be the best thing as even just letting him sleep on the bed with you or have him be near enough to you that you can give him a little pet during the night can help. My cats do this every single night, including pawing my face for attention. If he is an outdoor cat then he could be doing this to be let outside but indoor or outdoor, all cats are most active at night. It can be hard to get used to whether you are a cat lover or not but its just a pretty much normal cat behaviour and one that you will just have to get used to while you cat sit.
Sahyun
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
throw it into a bathtub, make that puss y wet, that should teach it a lesson
Bezoar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rum Ham)
Tbh, there isn't really anything you can do. This is normal cat behaviour since they are most active at night and its only natural for them to crave attention then. Letting him in the room with you would be the best thing as even just letting him sleep on the bed with you or have him be near enough to you that you can give him a little pet during the night can help. My cats do this every single night, including pawing my face for attention. If he is an outdoor cat then he could be doing this to be let outside but indoor or outdoor, all cats are most active at night. It can be hard to get used to whether you are a cat lover or not but its just a pretty much normal cat behaviour and one that you will just have to get used to while you cat sit.
Fair enough!!! He's adorable so I guess I'll give him a free pass I'll try playing with him a bit more before bed time so he isn't as hyperactive at night, is that a good idea?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (422)
67.41%
No (204)
32.59%

Watched Threads