Is the Education System letting us down?

Watch this thread
ComplexGuidliner
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello, I've made many posts on TSR, with two other accounts about controversial topics such as "Do lazy people deserved help?" and many more.

I've had two other previous accounts due to not being able to login on both of them for some reason. Don't worry about this one though, I logged out straight after I made this and logged back in. I think it's safe to say this is my PROPER main account. 😂

Anyway comment what you think about this question below, before you post please state if you are "For" or "Against".

Now, let us commence!
ComplexGuidliner
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by ComplexGuidliner)
Hello, I've made many posts on TSR, with two other accounts about controversial topics such as "Do lazy people deserved help?" and many more.

I've had two other previous accounts due to not being able to login on both of them for some reason. Don't worry about this one though, I logged out straight after I made this and logged back in. I think it's safe to say this is my PROPER main account. 😂

Anyway comment what you think about this question below, before you post please state if you are "For" or "Against".

Now, let us commence!
Oh yes, sorry if I didn't make it clear this is a debate.
ComplexGuidliner
Rep:
(Original post by ComplexGuidliner)

Now, let us commence!
deserve*
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
For.

The education system doesn't fail all students, but fails to serve to a majority of students. People who are very academic and are pursuing an academic career (or closely related careers) will generally thrive in the current system, everyone else is sat wondering what the hell they are learning and WHY.

This WHY is why students get bored in lesson, even if they have some interest in the subject. Naturally, if you find something boring then you have a much more difficult time in tackling 'so and so' subject because why should you bother studying if it bores you? It's only natural that you aren't 100% focused when studying through a boring approach, no matter how determined you are.

The current system is also very inefficient. You sit there listening to a human talking to you about 'so and so' subject while you make notes. It's not very engaging and doesn't make you think and appreciate the topic at hand. You're basically downloading information without much context behind the information.

Instead, students should be GIVEN the problems at hand and then ATTEMPT to work around the problem with others. I think this is much more engaging approach and gets students to think in their own unique perspective instead of the teacher's or exam board's perspective. This approach is obviously more challenging because you are deriving the facts you would normally be given (or attempting to derive) so does limit the content of the course, but I think it would make students really understand their subject at hand. Notice I use the word attempt. It's much better to attempt and try your best to solve a problem than being given the solution.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (140)
66.35%
No (47)
22.27%
I didn't use it to prepare (24)
11.37%

Watched Threads