Turn on thread page Beta

Etherwing Debating Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello I've posted many times on this site about controversial topics worth to debate, such as "Do lazy people deserve support?" I must say that there were indeed very interesting responses.

Due to such a great outcome with responses, I have decided to make a debating group called the "Etherwing Debating Society". To join, you must make an argument either "For" or "Against" for the following question:

"Is the current Education System letting people down"

It doesn't have to be an amazing piece of imformation, I just want to see if you have a good understanding on how to argue + vocabulary.

We are the future; hopefully in the future (the irony) we can possibly tackle some of these problems and create a better society as a whole.

(It may show that this my first ever post, this is because I had owned two previous account which for some reason I cannot log into anymore. The names were "biokit" and "ComplexGuidliner")

For now we're just a small debating group. 😂

Hopefully this can become into something big, like an ACTUAL debating society.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anomalyron)
    Hello I've posted many times on this site about controversial topics worth to debate, such as "Do lazy people deserve support?" I must say that there were indeed very interesting responses.

Due to such a great outcome with responses, I have decided to make a debating group called the "Etherwing Debating Society". To join, you must make an argument either "For" or "Against" for the following question:

"Is the current Education System letting people down?"

It doesn't have to be an amazing piece of imformation, I just want to see if you have a good understanding on how to argue + vocabulary.

We are the future; hopefully in the future (the irony) we can possibly tackle some of these problems and create a better society as a whole.

(It may show that this my first ever post, this is because I had owned two previous account which for some reason I cannot log into anymore. The names were "biokit" and "ComplexGuideliner".)

For now we're just a small debating group. 😂

Hopefully this can become into something big, like an ACTUAL debating society.

Good luck!
    + If we become big we can debate with other groups, this would be an amazing asset to anyone's CV.

ReputationRep:
    + If we become big we can debate with other groups, this would be an amazing asset to anyone's CV.
    Ahhh this is so cool!

Okay so I believe that currently the education system isn't letting students down. Students are being assessed in many aspects such as maths, sciences, language, social studies etc. I for one see no alternative to exams meaning written papers, students either work hard and make it to the top or don't. I understand that for examinations such as GCSE's students are able to do many many past papers thus giving them a better chance of succeeding and some may say that this is not a good technique for students to learn however I completely disagree as I believe that memorisation and practice is the key to success and students who want to succeed need to push themselves to practice. The resources can be found online and currently students are being taught enough to understand the world around us and become innovative.

Anybody want to disagree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by London090)
    Ahhh this is so cool!

Okay so I believe that currently the education system isn't letting students down. Students are being assessed in many aspects such as maths, sciences, language, social studies etc. I for one see no alternative to exams meaning written papers, students either work hard and make it to the top or don't. I understand that for examinations such as GCSE's students are able to do many many past papers thus giving them a better chance of succeeding and some may say that this is not a good technique for students to learn however I completely disagree as I believe that memorisation and practice is the key to success and students who want to succeed need to push themselves to practice. The resources can be found online and currently students are being taught enough to understand the world around us and become innovative.

Great response! I just skimmed through it because I have to go eat lunch, but it sounds very good! 😊 I did ask to see if you have a clear understanding; it looks like you most certainly do.

Well I've got two words, your in!

ReputationRep:
    Might make a logo! 😁

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh this is so cool!

I disagree. Our education system is letting us down. We're not learning skills vital for the world today. GCSEs and A-levels should not be about trying to memorise as many facts as possible. We're not really learning anything vital for the future in the workplace. There are very few skills we learn in school that are important for today, and to make it worse, the government is removing ICT GCSE off the syllabus, so everyone will have to self teach themselves how to use a computer in an office.
    I agree that we are taught lots by way of sciences, maths, history etc. but does it help prepare most of us for a place in work and life. Do we have lessons on Banking? Do we have lessons specific for jobs, such as working in a garage? No, but we still need to memorise Shakespeare texts by heart, and know exactly what happened in 1066. This isn't preparing us, most of the stuff we learn, we will never need again.
    This needs to change.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I messed up.
    Please don't create multiple threads on the same topic. I've merged your threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Please don't create multiple threads on the same topic. I've merged your threads.
    Sorry for that! I only joined a few days ago so I'm quite new to all of this and thought I messed up a few times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by criggles)
    I disagree. Our education system is letting us down. We're not learning skills vital for the world today. GCSEs and A-levels should not be about trying to memorise as many facts as possible. We're not really learning anything vital for the future in the workplace. There are very few skills we learn in school that are important for today, and to make it worse, the government is removing ICT GCSE off the syllabus, so everyone will have to self teach themselves how to use a computer in an office.
    I agree that we are taught lots by way of sciences, maths, history etc. but does it help prepare most of us for a place in work and life. Do we have lessons on Banking? Do we have lessons specific for jobs, such as working in a garage? No, but we still need to memorise Shakespeare texts by heart, and know exactly what happened in 1066. This isn't preparing us, most of the stuff we learn, we will never need again.
    This needs to change.
    This is an excellent point, 👍 I love that you used a great technique in debating that is rhetorical questions. I'm guessing you'd like to join!

ReputationRep:
    This is an excellent point, 👍 I love that you used a great technique in debating that is rhetorical questions. I'm guessing you'd like to join!
    Yes please!

ReputationRep:
    Great response! I just skimmed through it because I have to go eat lunch, but it sounds very good! 😊 I did ask to see if you have a clear understanding; it looks like you most certainly do.

Well I've got two words, your in!
    Yay thanks a bunch!

ReputationRep:
    This needs to change.
    I disagree with your statement about how what we are currently learning in GCSE's and A-Levels isn't aiding our future because I find that it is playing quite a substantial role in young adults futures, I have a great interest for law and I am currently taking History and English Lit at my GCSE's and I find that it greatly improves my use of language and analytical skills. I also have and interest in biology and through a simple assignment set by my triple science GCSE biology teacher I felt the urge to write a 1500 word essay about how a local plant called the Prunus Africana which is local to the region of Southern Africa and I learnt that it can aid the curing of prostate cancer and I found that the basic knowledge I had learnt in my GCSE biology fuelled my interest as I had a taste of what science was like in a real life situation. I believe that GCSE's and A-Levels are preparing you for a life out there in society training you in basic combat to find your interests and uni is what builds and refines your skill.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with your statement about how what we are currently learning in GCSE's and A-Levels isn't aiding our future because I find that it is playing quite a substantial role in young adults futures, I have a great interest for law and I am currently taking History and English Lit at my GCSE's and I find that it greatly improves my use of language and analytical skills. I also have and interest in biology and through a simple assignment set by my triple science GCSE biology teacher I felt the urge to write a 1500 word essay about how a local plant called the Prunus Africana which is local to the region of Southern Africa and I learnt that it can aid the curing of prostate cancer and I found that the basic knowledge I had learnt in my GCSE biology fuelled my interest as I had a taste of what science was like in a real life situation. I believe that GCSE's and A-Levels are preparing you for a life out there in society training you in basic combat to find your interests and uni is what builds and refines your skill.
    Anyone want to disagree?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to disagree?
    Sorry, only just logged on, if you give me a couple of minutes, I'll formulate a counter point.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, only just logged on, if you give me a couple of minutes, I'll formulate a counter point.
    Haha😂 Okay!

ReputationRep:
    There are some subjects that we currently study that I agree are useful, such as history and maths, and in subjects such as English we do learn useful analytical subjects. And so yes, I do agree that subjects do inspire you to do things in your own time, but some of the details we go into in the subjects is unnecessary. We don't need to know binomial theorem in maths to survive, and we don't need to study Shakespeare to improve analytical skills, a modern text would do just as well, or even better because we're analysing something our language has more in common with.
    But we also need to introduce subjects that will help us in the future more, rather than just relying on skills we learn at school. Yes it's alright to learn the function of the pituitary gland at school if you want to be a doctor, but what if you want to be a mechanic? There's no subjects on that, is there?
    And also, the exam system is terribly flawed. Why do we need to memorise a Shakespeare text? Why do we have to memorise every physics equation know to man? Is that how it is in the real world? Do we suddenly have to spout out each part of the Versailles Treaty and explain the implications of each section when asked? Will we not have Google and calculators?

The education system, and primarily the exams, needs to change.

ReputationRep:
    There are some subjects that we currently study that I agree are useful, such as history and maths, and in subjects such as English we do learn useful analytical subjects. And so yes, I do agree that subjects do inspire you to do things in your own time, but some of the details we go into in the subjects is unnecessary. We don't need to know binomial theorem in maths to survive, and we don't need to study Shakespeare to improve analytical skills, a modern text would do just as well, or even better because we're analysing something our language has more in common with.
    But we also need to introduce subjects that will help us in the future more, rather than just relying on skills we learn at school. Yes it's alright to learn the function of the pituitary gland at school if you want to be a doctor, but what if you want to be a mechanic? There's no subjects on that, is there?
    And also, the exam system is terribly flawed. Why do we need to memorise a Shakespeare text? Why do we have to memorise every physics equation know to man? Is that how it is in the real world? Do we suddenly have to spout out each part of the Versailles Treaty and explain the implications of each section when asked? Will we not have Google and calculators?

The education system, and primarily the exams, needs to change.
    Thank you for the reply however I believed that your argument is overly flawed and you have answered one of your own questions as well. So you brought in the scenario of a person who wants to be a mechanic but there being no subject in school for this then you later on talked about physics equations, now if I am not wrong in order for you to enter university for mechanics you need a good solid knowledge of physics and mathematics this is because you need to be good at analysing situations and creating solutions and mathematics is needed. Now you also said that why do maths when we have google and calculators, Albert Einstein predicted that our future would be dominated by the artificial intelligence and you have just shown that, you have seen no point in the use of human knowledge but instead you are now relying on artificial intelligence which is insanely sad. Just for your information I haven't memorised a single Shakespearean paragraph in my life and I am currently working through my GCSE's fine, I am analysing a modern text about Chimamanda Ngozi's views on feminism so I believe that the education system is not failing us.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply however I believed that your argument is overly flawed and you have answered one of your own questions as well. So you brought in the scenario of a person who wants to be a mechanic but there being no subject in school for this then you later on talked about physics equations, now if I am not wrong in order for you to enter university for mechanics you need a good solid knowledge of physics and mathematics this is because you need to be good at analysing situations and creating solutions and mathematics is needed. Now you also said that why do maths when we have google and calculators, Albert Einstein predicted that our future would be dominated by the artificial intelligence and you have just shown that, you have seen no point in the use of human knowledge but instead you are now relying on artificial intelligence which is insanely sad. Just for your information I haven't memorised a single Shakespearean paragraph in my life and I am currently working through my GCSE's fine, I am analysing a modern text about Chimamanda Ngozi's views on feminism so I believe that the education system is not failing us.
    But what you're suggesting there, is that the only way to become a mechanic is to go to university. And that's another issue highlighted there with the education system. People are expected to go to university and get a degree to work. But that's just not true. There are a number of ways to work, and for a lot of people, they leave school, with GCSE's they are never going to need, and go into apprenticeships and into work that way. And since you like Einstein so much, here's a small quote of his: "Everybody is a Genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid". And that just about sums up the education system. Although we may be that monkey that can climb straight up, there are still lots of fish as it were, that are unable to work in the current education system. And so GCSE's, for some people, are the last exams that they'll ever take, and so need GCSE's that will be useful for them. And do they exist? Are there GCSE's useful for the fish? And does the exam system actually mimic the real world? No!

And in regards to relying on human intelligence, everyone does, people just use it for other things. I know plenty of people that could tell you everything you need to know on farming, but nothing on the GCSE's they've done for the past two years. Everyone relies on their intelligence, people just use it for different things.

ReputationRep:
    But what you're suggesting there, is that the only way to become a mechanic is to go to university. And that's another issue highlighted there with the education system. People are expected to go to university and get a degree to work. But that's just not true. There are a number of ways to work, and for a lot of people, they leave school, with GCSE's they are never going to need, and go into apprenticeships and into work that way. And since you like Einstein so much, here's a small quote of his: "Everybody is a Genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid". And that just about sums up the education system. Although we may be that monkey that can climb straight up, there are still lots of fish as it were, that are unable to work in the current education system. And so GCSE's, for some people, are the last exams that they'll ever take, and so need GCSE's that will be useful for them. And do they exist? Are there GCSE's useful for the fish? And does the exam system actually mimic the real world? No!

And in regards to relying on human intelligence, everyone does, people just use it for other things. I know plenty of people that could tell you everything you need to know on farming, but nothing on the GCSE's they've done for the past two years. Everyone relies on their intelligence, people just use it for different things.
    Okay so you have made the point that students who would like to be mechanics can't do it in primary or secondary school, so do you suggest that children should choose their career at a young age and stick to it throughout school? Should 10 year old children have to learn mechanics for the rest of their school lives because of a bob the builder movie which influenced this choice 5 years ago when his/her future career had to be chosen?

Our current education system gives students all the basic subjects need to allow students knowledge to further their studies in areas such as humanities and stem etc Nobody ever said that anybody HAD to do anything I believe that most countries have human rights laws and each individual can choose which path they take. Society has just formed a ridiculous idea that university graduates are more valuable as their skills are more developed when students who want to be mechanics can just skip uni and go for vocational studies. If that fish thinks that it is stupid then it has been pressed by societies views on education and not the education system itself. I believe that the education system is doing well in preparing students for further studies.

You still haven't rebutted my argument on humans relying on artificial intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so you have made the point that students who would like to be mechanics can't do it in primary or secondary school, so do you suggest that children should choose their career at a young age and stick to it throughout school? Should 10 year old children have to learn mechanics for the rest of their school lives because of a bob the builder movie which influenced this choice 5 years ago when his/her future career had to be chosen?

Our current education system gives students all the basic subjects need to allow students knowledge to further their studies in areas such as humanities and stem etc Nobody ever said that anybody HAD to do anything I believe that most countries have human rights laws and each individual can choose which path they take. Society has just formed a ridiculous idea that university graduates are more valuable as their skills are more developed when students who want to be mechanics can just skip uni and go for vocational studies. If that fish thinks that it is stupid then it has been pressed by societies views on education and not the education system itself. I believe that the education system is doing well in preparing students for further studies.

You still haven't rebutted my argument on humans relying on artificial intelligence.
    Are you going to disagree?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.