The Student Room Group

Exam board (GCSE)

Hi there, I moved to London a week ago so I have some questions about the educational system.

What is the diference between AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, Eduqas, OCR 21st Century, OCR Gateway and WJEC?

Thanks
Original post by user2038
Hi there, I moved to London a week ago so I have some questions about the educational system.

What is the diference between AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, Eduqas, OCR 21st Century, OCR Gateway and WJEC?

Thanks

CCEA and WJEC exclusively serve Northern Ireland and Wales respectively.

Because the reforms in England conflict with the Welsh education system, WJEC now offers qualifications in England under the name Eduqas.

As to differences between them, there isn't much. The content of the specifications is prescribed by the DfE and there is little difference between the exams offered by the different boards. The main differences are stylistic, with different formatted papers, though topics might differ. For subjects with different options, eg. history, your new school might pick different options, so you'll have to catch up.

What will be most helpful to you would probably be to compare the specification used by your old school with that of your new one.
Reply 2
I agree with everything _gcx has said but i'd also say that there's no real need to worry about it as you have little control over it and it has no significant lasting effect. The school you go to will choose which exam board they use for each subject and they are all equally valued as GCSEs
Reply 3
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by _gcx
CCEA and WJEC exclusively serve Northern Ireland and Wales respectively.

Because the reforms in England conflict with the Welsh education system, WJEC now offers qualifications in England under the name Eduqas.

As to differences between them, there isn't much. The content of the specifications is prescribed by the DfE and there is little difference between the exams offered by the different boards. The main differences are stylistic, with different formatted papers, though topics might differ. For subjects with different options, eg. history, your new school might pick different options, so you'll have to catch up.

What will be most helpful to you would probably be to compare the specification used by your old school with that of your new one.

I used to live in scotland and there we dont have GCSE, so all these stuff is new to me :')

Also i want to say that I would like to study medicine, so what Exam board do you think I have to take or it doesn't matter?
I used to live in scotland and there we dont have GCSE, so all these stuff is new to me :':wink:

Also i want to say that I would like to study medicine, so what Exam board do you think I have to take or it doesn't matter?

Ah right.

Doesn't matter. There is standardisation between the boards to ensure that a grade on one specification is worth just as much as the same grade on another.
Reply 6

Thanks

If I'm correct, AQA is an English exam board? And like the rest provides courses for GCSE, A Level as well as vocational qualifications.

CCEA is The Council for the Curriculum, Examinations & Assessment and its headquarters is in Belfast, which probably explains why I don't really hear much about CCEA.

OCR is Oxford, Cambridge and RSA Examinations, again I'm pretty sure it is an English exam board.

WJEC is the Welsh Joint Education Committee and then Eduqas is also a part of WJEC. I'm pretty sure that in Wales everyone has to sit their exams with WJEC - at least that's what one of my teachers said.

However it doesn't matter which one you sit your exams with. Neither one has a higher value than the other and I'm pretty sure it's the teachers and the individual school that chooses which exam board they use, so it's pretty much out of our hands anyway :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
Ah right.

Doesn't matter. There is standardisation between the boards to ensure that a grade on one specification is worth just as much as the same grade on another.

thank you <3
Reply 8
Original post by Liv2109
If I'm correct, AQA is an English exam board? And like the rest provides courses for GCSE, A Level as well as vocational qualifications.

CCEA is The Council for the Curriculum, Examinations & Assessment and its headquarters is in Belfast, which probably explains why I don't really hear much about CCEA.

OCR is Oxford, Cambridge and RSA Examinations, again I'm pretty sure it is an English exam board.

WJEC is the Welsh Joint Education Committee and then Eduqas is also a part of WJEC. I'm pretty sure that in Wales everyone has to sit their exams with WJEC - at least that's what one of my teachers said.

However it doesn't matter which one you sit your exams with. Neither one has a higher value than the other and I'm pretty sure it's the teachers and the individual school that chooses which exam board they use, so it's pretty much out of our hands anyway :smile:

thank u <3
what about edexcel and the OCRs comapred to the others and what's the difference between OCR 21st and Gateway?
Original post by dimitriedu
what about edexcel and the OCRs comapred to the others and what's the difference between OCR 21st and Gateway?

As previous posters have said, they all have to comply with Ofqual's requirements (and are all accepted as equivalent by sixth forms, universities and employers), so the differences aren't huge. Why do you want to know - If you're attending a school then they will choose the exam board but if you're thinking of self studying GCSE Sciences then you may be better off choosing IGCSE rather than GCSE as the exam centre doesn't have to confirm you've taken the practicals for IGCSE

Quick Reply