The Student Room Group

3rd class honours degree, past regrets

Hi guys,

I would hugely appreciate any advice. Basically in 2013 I graduated from Uni with a 3rd class honours degree. Without disclosing too much, it was in the medical, nursing, health sciences sector. I have been sitting on my degree ever since (largely because I felt no employer in that field would look at me) I have since gone on to work as a carer despite liking the job, I feel a bit silly since I spent 4 years at Uni and I'm now in a job where the pay is pretty poor. It's not where I had imagined I'd be 5 years ago.

The two years leading up to my graduation were very traumatic for me, without going into too much detail, I wasn't coping well and I kept everything largely to myself. There were most definitely extenuating circumstances affecting my performance. Although my professor did recommend me to visit psychological services on campus, I missed lectures neglected my studies and began to lose interested in my course.

Looking back I really wish I handled things differently. Although I managed to scrape a pass and got my degree I still feel I could have accomplished much more had things been different.

I am now in a situation where I wish to either retrain, or get into the field that I qualified in as the money would be much better than what I'm currently earning. I just worry now that too much water has gone under the bridge and that (a) no university would even consider me if I wished to go back to study and (b) if I did indeed try to find work in the area I qualified in, too much time has passed by and my skills will have diminished in that area, I'd even volunteer at this point in order to gain experience.

I'm in a better place now then where I was 5 years ago and want to try make another go of it re: my career, but I just feel in limbo atm. I want to achieve, do more with myself but really don't know where to begin.

Has anyone out there been in a similar situation? Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Many thanks,
M
I have not been in your situation (I graduated with a 2:1 in 2017) but I would say make a few enquiries with any universities you would wish to study at. Phone up university admissions and explain that you wish to return to your studies - hopefully they will help you. I think making enquiries is better than worrying. Hope this helps!
You could study a second degree online with the Open University where you can pay monthly.

Also you could do a postgraduate degree online with the OU or RDI etc.
There are opportunities for medical related jobs in the Army that you can train for from scratch.

Look online as you can train as a nurse fully funded provided you work for a specified period of time.

Same in the RAF and Navy.

Look online.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending