The Student Room Group

Overlapping modules

Short version: How do universities deal with overlapping content from undergrad to a post grad taught masters?

Long version: I am currently studying maths as an undergrad but wish to study a masters in statistics at a different university. I am planning to take some advanced statistics modules in my third year (time series, likelihood inference, medical statistics, multivariate statistics). I have seen these modules listed in masters courses offered by other institutions, and in some cases modules with a partial overlap in content.

Would I still be able to opt for these modules? And where the overlapping content is compulsory, will I still be able to apply for that university?

I would very much appreciate some advice, thank you!! :smile:
Original post by ben789
Short version: How do universities deal with overlapping content from undergrad to a post grad taught masters?

Long version: I am currently studying maths as an undergrad but wish to study a masters in statistics at a different university. I am planning to take some advanced statistics modules in my third year (time series, likelihood inference, medical statistics, multivariate statistics). I have seen these modules listed in masters courses offered by other institutions, and in some cases modules with a partial overlap in content.

Would I still be able to opt for these modules? And where the overlapping content is compulsory, will I still be able to apply for that university?

I would very much appreciate some advice, thank you!! :smile:

Often, even though you're taking some advanced modules, they will still be level 6 modules. Master level is level 7, so the beginning of the module will be getting everyone up to speed and then building on the content you might have already learned. Its unlikely there would be an issue with you applying to the university, in fact it might be viewed favourably because it'll give you something to talk about in your application about why you're applying for that course in the first place.
Reply 2
Original post by Parkleton
Often, even though you're taking some advanced modules, they will still be level 6 modules. Master level is level 7, so the beginning of the module will be getting everyone up to speed and then building on the content you might have already learned. Its unlikely there would be an issue with you applying to the university, in fact it might be viewed favourably because it'll give you something to talk about in your application about why you're applying for that course in the first place.

That has calmed my nerves a bit :P

Are you speaking from experience?
Original post by ben789

They don't consider it at all. Good luck to you if you find a Masters degree that contains the same content as your undergrad. Chances are they will stretch you on the application of the work, but if not, you just got lucky. They won't be tracking modules done in undergrad and checking they don't overlap.
Original post by ben789
That has calmed my nerves a bit :P

Are you speaking from experience?

Sort of - My undergrad was in Criminology and Psychology, and my masters in Forensic Psychology, therefore I already had a fair amount of knowledge about criminal psychology and the like. Most people on my course came from single honours Psychology, so the first few weeks (and nearly a whole module) I'd already done so it just gave me the opportunity to refresh my knowledge, and made one of the exams easier. See it as a good thing!

Edit: Thinking about it as well, it made writing my personal statement for my application much easier, as I could already demonstrate an interest in the forensic side, and it made me more comfortable in my interview knowing I was well-suited to the course
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending