Best university for computer science in 2019

Watch
Johnna
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Which is the best university for computer science?
TSR_Ollie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

Why do I do this?

The Universities forums get a lot of questions that are unanswered. This is often because the OP's thread got missed - bumping threads gives them another lease of life and frequently results in someone seeing it and being able to respond

If you would like to help with unanswered questions check out the first part of the list here and don't forget the second part of the list here.

Or if you have questions, get in touch with Puddles the Monkey.
multieman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cambridge.
Newcastle University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Johnna)

Hi Johnna,

Ours of course! 😊

Ha, or for a more well-rounded answer, I’d say that each University offers something different. We have a large school based in the newly opened Urban Sciences Building (https://www.ncl.ac.uk/helix/urban/) which is a flagship development located on the Newcastle Helix site. Our University is a central university and is ranked within the top 100 in the world for Computer Science (by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings).

You can find more information regarding our Computer Science BSc Honours course here:

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/g400/

And you can learn more about student life in Newcastle on our blog here:

https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncours...-our-students/

Best of luck with your decision, I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter which university you choose.
And if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask 😊

Susie
Student Roost Newcastle
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, Newcastle University have a brand new, amazing Computer Science building. We have a few students who study there and could not recommend it more!
Kiritsugu
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends what you care about. And the thing is, you often don't know until you've had a good helping.

For example, traditionally, and even still, people regard Cambridge/Oxford as the top universities for computer science. But how true is that really? How have you broken that down? What metrics have you used?

Some think Cambridge has 'no' social life. Some think universities are designed for academic results, so content/rigorous academic study matters more (and these often drive the latest research). Others know that a degree alone isn't enough. Many realise it's more important to be resourceful rather than being focused on resources.

In today's world, it's not enough to simply go to the 'best' uni and think that'll be it. You need to be conscientious, proactive, and have a strong mindset, thinking about what is actually the most beneficial and taking action on it. Do you want to be hot onto the newest inventions, maybe sometimes waiting years for the fruit of the latest scientific research to be realised? Do you want to be a six-figure developer/programmer/s.engineer entrepreneur working hard hours every single day?

Find the right balance. What offers a great course and great balance - both of which align with your heart. I know it might sound cheesy, but you ought to tune into what your intuition thinks is the right thing to do because it often just knows what the right thing is.

Either way, whichever path you choose, research carefully and embrace it fully.

Lastly, since I went to Newcastle I can confirm that it's pretty good (course, social life, the town, atmosphere) and it's about to get better in the future.
stinkyboi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kiritsugu)
Depends what you care about. And the thing is, you often don't know until you've had a good helping.

For example, traditionally, and even still, people regard Cambridge/Oxford as the top universities for computer science. But how true is that really? How have you broken that down? What metrics have you used?

Some think Cambridge has 'no' social life. Some think universities are designed for academic results, so content/rigorous academic study matters more (and these often drive the latest research). Others know that a degree alone isn't enough. Many realise it's more important to be resourceful rather than being focused on resources.

In today's world, it's not enough to simply go to the 'best' uni and think that'll be it. You need to be conscientious, proactive, and have a strong mindset, thinking about what is actually the most beneficial and taking action on it. Do you want to be hot onto the newest inventions, maybe sometimes waiting years for the fruit of the latest scientific research to be realised? Do you want to be a six-figure developer/programmer/s.engineer entrepreneur working hard hours every single day?

Find the right balance. What offers a great course and great balance - both of which align with your heart. I know it might sound cheesy, but you ought to tune into what your intuition thinks is the right thing to do because it often just knows what the right thing is.

Either way, whichever path you choose, research carefully and embrace it fully.

Lastly, since I went to Newcastle I can confirm that it's pretty good (course, social life, the town, atmosphere) and it's about to get better in the future.
Can you tell me more about your experience at Newcastle University studying Computer Science? Everything you can tell me.
sarahyousaf786
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
ooo Im going to be doing computer science at university too - But im in year 12 atm so i'll be going to uni in 2020
Kiritsugu
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by stinkyboi)
Can you tell me more about your experience at Newcastle University studying Computer Science? Everything you can tell me.
Sure, just wait a couple of mins.
Kiritsugu
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can't really paste it here, so I'll just attach the word document. Have a read and if you have any specific questions, let me know. If I can't answer I can redirect you. Good luck!
Attached files
stinkyboi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can't really paste it here, so I'll just attach the word document. Have a read and if you have any specific questions, let me know. If I can't answer I can redirect you. Good luck!
Holy sh*t! Thanks you so much for taking your time and putting effort into writing this for me! I appreciate it a lot! I am thinking about going to Newcastle University or if I should go to London at King's College but I think I won't be able to have a good quality of life even if I would live at home with my mother. So that's why I want to ask you how you are liking Newcastle as a city and if you could tell me more about the city itself?! Also, how is the campus at the University? Are the buildings in good condition as I saw that most of them are really old and ugly and I also saw a few modern ones like that Urban Sciences Building. I just don't want to go to a University that makes me feel like I live in a poor country, you know. Thank you for helping me!
Kiritsugu
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Holy sh*t! Thanks you so much for taking your time and putting effort into writing this for me! I appreciate it a lot! I am thinking about going to Newcastle University or if I should go to London at King's College but I think I won't be able to have a good quality of life even if I would live at home with my mother. So that's why I want to ask you how you are liking Newcastle as a city and if you could tell me more about the city itself?! Also, how is the campus at the University? Are the buildings in good condition as I saw that most of them are really old and ugly and I also saw a few modern ones like that Urban Sciences Building. I just don't want to go to a University that makes me feel like I live in a poor country, you know. Thank you for helping me!
I like the city - there are loads of great shops such as Bubble Cha where they sell bubble tea, there are anime and game shops, there is Eldon Square like a big modern shopping mall and there are loads of fine restaurants in there. 99% people are friendly. Transport links are pretty good and simple to understand and Taxi services are prompt. Most the places I've been to feel or look modern. The USB is certainly modern, most accommodation are modern, most shops are modern, and event spaces are modern and popular. I suppose some streets deep in town near the rail service can look a bit shoddy but you generally won't be there like 99% of time. All lectures take place at the USB so it's always cool there. The town near the USB at Northumberland street looks fine and it's not rundown - I imagine you can google maps it.

The only thing I'd say is that sometimes it can be noisy at night depending on where you live but generally it's okay.

I imagine you can always visit here for like a day. Probably money well-spent seeing as how this is a huge investment.

But yeah you should definitely get a second, third, fourth opinion from other people about your choice.
stinkyboi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I like the city - there are loads of great shops such as Bubble Cha where they sell bubble tea, there are anime and game shops, there is Eldon Square like a big modern shopping mall and there are loads of fine restaurants in there. 99% people are friendly. Transport links are pretty good and simple to understand and Taxi services are prompt. Most the places I've been to feel or look modern. The USB is certainly modern, most accommodation are modern, most shops are modern, and event spaces are modern and popular. I suppose some streets deep in town near the rail service can look a bit shoddy but you generally won't be there like 99% of time. All lectures take place at the USB so it's always cool there. The town near the USB at Northumberland street looks fine and it's not rundown - I imagine you can google maps it.

The only thing I'd say is that sometimes it can be noisy at night depending on where you live but generally it's okay.

I imagine you can always visit here for like a day. Probably money well-spent seeing as how this is a huge investment.

But yeah you should definitely get a second, third, fourth opinion from other people about your choice.
Do you live in a student accommodation? If so, how is your whole experience?
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
IMO

Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
UCL
Warwick
Edinburgh
St Andrews
Bristol
Southamptom
Bath
and then there are the international universities which are better than most of the ones on the list.
M4cc4n4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
ofc

but this is a british forum, so i assume op wants to attend a british uni
I mean that's already discounting 2 of the UK's Universities
Kiritsugu
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you live in a student accommodation? If so, how is your whole experience?
Yes. When you get there students help you take your stuff if you want. The washing machine facilities are very close by. Receptions are generally useful. If you would like more information, check out the uni pages on accommodation - also type in specific places followed by the word "reviews". Hope that helps a bit.
stinkyboi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes. When you get there students help you take your stuff if you want. The washing machine facilities are very close by. Receptions are generally useful. If you would like more information, check out the uni pages on accommodation - also type in specific places followed by the word "reviews". Hope that helps a bit.
How are the people in your hall and how is it to share a kitchen with them?
Kiritsugu
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How are the people in your hall and how is it to share a kitchen with them?
People in my hall are fine. Occasionally in some halls you could obviously be paired up with lousy ones. With the uni-owned accommodation, you generally have the option to swap halls just in case.

I share a kitchen with 5 other people. All good so far. No complaints and we look out for the kitchen for one another.
stinkyboi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People in my hall are fine. Occasionally in some halls you could obviously be paired up with lousy ones. With the uni-owned accommodation, you generally have the option to swap halls just in case.

I share a kitchen with 5 other people. All good so far. No complaints and we look out for the kitchen for one another.
Did you learn Java in your Computer Science course?
r_gup
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Kings sucks at CS . Actually.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (14)
18.18%
No one else does (25)
32.47%
I'm embarrassed about my background (9)
11.69%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (25)
32.47%
We don't use a video platform (2)
2.6%
I don't have a camera (1)
1.3%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.3%

Watched Threads