The Student Room Group

life seems so pointless

i just feel so stuck right now. i can be in a good mood but then i’ll just sit back and think about it. what’s the point of any of this? it’s sounds sad but i’m just going to die anyway. i’m terrified of growing old, losing myself. i don’t even know how to explain it. tips on what to do?
keep yourself busy... get a hobby or a job...
Indeed what is to come will be better for you than what has gone by. When you sometimes feel lost just look at yourself in the mirror for a very long time. Maybe also think about what you have achieved or what you wish to achieve. I think sometimes we are expected to do new things and not really ponder much so we feel lost.

Reflect on things to help you realise what your initial aims or goals might have been.
Sorry to hear this. I went through a phase of this when I was at a low point in my life struggling with a chronic illness. Life is worth living and cherish every moment of it. Just because you're not in a good place at the moment does not mean that you won't be in the future. Try not to worry about the future...live in the moment and enjoy it. Life is way more beautiful than it seems and if you live every day like it's your last you begin to value its preciousness and you will feel much more fulfilled and positive. Surround yourself with friends & family and people that care about you. However if you are really down & need advice I would recommend talking to a counsellor; this helped me massively. Hope all goes well for you :smile:
Original post by super_hannah
Sorry to hear this. I went through a phase of this when I was at a low point in my life struggling with a chronic illness. Life is worth living and cherish every moment of it. Just because you're not in a good place at the moment does not mean that you won't be in the future. Try not to worry about the future...live in the moment and enjoy it. Life is way more beautiful than it seems and if you live every day like it's your last you begin to value its preciousness and you will feel much more fulfilled and positive. Surround yourself with friends & family and people that care about you. However if you are really down & need advice I would recommend talking to a counsellor; this helped me massively. Hope all goes well for you :smile:

What if you don't have any friends/family that care about you?

It all seems so pointless and easy to say.
Original post by Anonymous
What if you don't have any friends/family that care about you?

It all seems so pointless and easy to say.

It was just a suggestion as obviously I don't know you or your home situation. I recommend that you seek professional help then if you feel like this. I promise you it does help :smile:
Reply 6
I’m really sorry about this, i was once in your position and sometimes such thoughts still get to me. Being in a state of depression makes me angry as when i look at myself, i’m quite privileged and think of all the unpriviledged people who’d rather have such an opportunity. Anyway, i’m a big fan of Jordan Peterson who preaches that your mental state of mind is largely determined by your current hierarchical position in life. So my advice is, create a structure to your life, do something that you see an enduring reward to, and create relationships with people given that we are social animals. Its clear that life is suffering, but that doesn’t mean you should sit there and not do anything about it.
Original post by Anonymous
i just feel so stuck right now. i can be in a good mood but then i’ll just sit back and think about it. what’s the point of any of this? it’s sounds sad but i’m just going to die anyway. i’m terrified of growing old, losing myself. i don’t even know how to explain it. tips on what to do?

I feel the same way sometimes whenever I think too much of the future. Take one day at a time, focus on the present.

Quick Reply

Latest