The Student Room Group

What do I need to know about the exams in year 12, in preparation for Medical school?

I’ve only barely heard of things such as BMATs and UKCATs ... so if someone could enlighten me on what they are and what they entail, and how I can best prepare for them (starting now— I’m starting year 12 in September), that would be great!

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by ellacxoo
I’ve only barely heard of things such as BMATs and UKCATs ... so if someone could enlighten me on what they are and what they entail, and how I can best prepare for them (starting now— I’m starting year 12 in September), that would be great!

Thanks

You don’t need to prepare until much closer to the time. If you want to know a bit about them take a look at their websites and you can see what’s involved.
You've got plenty of time! I've just finished year 12 and Im doing my UKCAT in a few weeks and my BMAT in November, so you do them in the Summer before year 13 or during the start of year 13. The UKCAT is more so aptitude, such as situational judgement, decision making, using logic and reason, mathsy stuff and deducing conclusions. The BMAT is more science focused, it tests you on GCSE science knowledge, problem solving, a little bit of aptitude and you write a 30 minute essay to test your ability to communicate and argue effectively.
Reply 3
Also guys, would be great if you can include the names (or links) of books that you find effective for UKCAT and BMAT preparation.

Quick Reply

Latest