Should May just cancel brexit? Watch

Appazap
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
May is clearly too incompetent to deliver any form of brexit so should she just cancel the whole thing so we can move on from this and worry about more important issues?

I don't blame Corbyn for lacking in a solution because if i was a labour politician, i wouldn't want to be anywhere near this. Its chaos. Nobody has clue what to do so surely we should just give up for everyone's sake.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
take back con:troll:

Turquaz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Appazap)
May is clearly too incompetent to deliver any form of brexit so should she just cancel the whole thing so we can move on from this and worry about more important issues?

I don't blame Corbyn for lacking in a solution because if i was a labour politician, i wouldn't want to be anywhere near this. Its chaos. Nobody has clue what to do so surely we should just give up for everyone's sake.
Too late my friend. Brexit has now evolved into an ego battle between some extremely powerful souls to the point that the true interests of the country and its people don't matter anymore.
Appazap
Rep:
?
(Original post by Turquaz)
Too late my friend. Brexit has now evolved into an ego battle between some extremely powerful souls to the point that the true interests of the country and its people don't matter anymore.
We will not get a good deal. Our country has nothing to offer the EU. There was literally no point in this and the fact that this could last till March 2019 makes me really pissed off
Turquaz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We will not get a good deal. Our country has nothing to offer the EU. There was literally no point in this and the fact that this could last till March 2019 makes me really pissed off
Well said. But hey the illusions that the Brexiters had about the world lining up and dying to sign trade deals with the UK post Brexit are hopefully proving wrong.
Pantera Fan Club
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Better get your Irish passports and fast folks. I heard Portugal is great this time of year.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don’t blame the leader of the opposition for having no stance?? I wouldn’t blame him if he forfeited his pay. He’s paid to deal with this mess and offer his own stance, pathetic excuse.

Believe it or no I genuinely am impartial, I think Theresa is doing a great job with Brexit. What’s exactly wrong with the stance she’s taken? Truth is other countries are that excited to do trade deals with us and they appreciate our product quality, under Theresa’s proposal this quality would be maintained.
username3130442
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No. The majority of the country voted for it, so the majority of the country have to suffer through the diplomacy and drama that is finding a deal. If May cancels Brexit she will be out by the morning after. Hardline tories already want her out, and cancelling the democratic vote will seal her fate.

Also how can you not blame Corbyn? He has to have a stance and a deal, because another early election could be a few months away, it is impossible to know if another will be called. Corbyn cannot sit on a high horse declaring that he doesn't need to have a deal prepared because he isn't PM, it's a stupid stance and shows his incompetence. Corbyn is just as unprepared as May. May deserves more flak because she is leading the country, but Corbyn may lead the country in 3 months time.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No she shouldn’t.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
May's plan is simply not Brexit, we need to push harder and faster for a complete exit.
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well said. But hey the illusions that the Brexiters had about the world lining up and dying to sign trade deals with the UK post Brexit are hopefully proving wrong.
Yeah like the US, the most powerful economy in the world and a vital ally.... oh wait
Turquaz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
Yeah like the US, the most powerful economy in the world and a vital ally.... oh wait
Lol yeah I guess Trump has proved how "special" of a relationship it is between the two countries during his trip this week.
Appazap
Rep:
?
(Original post by pessim)
No. The majority of the country voted for it, so the majority of the country have to suffer through the diplomacy and drama that is finding a deal. If May cancels Brexit she will be out by the morning after. Hardline tories already want her out, and cancelling the democratic vote will seal her fate.

Also how can you not blame Corbyn? He has to have a stance and a deal, because another early election could be a few months away, it is impossible to know if another will be called. Corbyn cannot sit on a high horse declaring that he doesn't need to have a deal prepared because he isn't PM, it's a stupid stance and shows his incompetence. Corbyn is just as unprepared as May. May deserves more flak because she is leading the country, but Corbyn may lead the country in 3 months time.
I understand that brexit needs to happen because of democracy, however the brexit that was sold to the British people is not the brexit that we have now. The brexit people wanted is not possible and May has no way of delivering what was originally set. Politicians should have realised the immense amount of difficulty attached to leaving the EU. Nobody was really told how much political unrest would arise from brexit and now everyone is just pissed off and tired of it. I'd rather a brexit people voted for than some rubbish crap shes put together.

As for Jeremy Corbyn, obviously not the best that he hasn't given a stance on the issue but i think in terms of keeping his credibility, it's for the best. As soon as he alludes to a side he will be held accountable for this mess which is inevitably going to end badly. Staying neutral is the only thing that will keep his party still intact. Let's be honest a lot of people despise labour. If he made the wrong choice over brexit, i feel like the whole of labour would just collapse.
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People who think she is delivering Brexit really need to read the consequences of her proposals, we are still going to be tied to the EU. We are not actually leaving, I was unaware the losing team actually wins.
AspiringAccount
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Definitely. Brexit is like a chip butty without the chips it won't work.
username3130442
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I understand that brexit needs to happen because of democracy, however the brexit that was sold to the British people is not the brexit that we have now. The brexit people wanted is not possible and May has no way of delivering what was originally set. Politicians should have realised the immense amount of difficulty attached to leaving the EU. Nobody was really told how much political unrest would arise from brexit and now everyone is just pissed off and tired of it. I'd rather a brexit people voted for than some rubbish crap shes put together.

As for Jeremy Corbyn, obviously not the best that he hasn't given a stance on the issue but i think in terms of keeping his credibility, it's for the best. As soon as he alludes to a side he will be held accountable for this mess which is inevitably going to end badly. Staying neutral is the only thing that will keep his party still intact. Let's be honest a lot of people despise labour. If he made the wrong choice over brexit, i feel like the whole of labour would just collapse.
The Brexit the people wanted is quite hard to decipher. The majority of voters voted just to stop free movement, that I am sure of. May can easily deliver a hard Brexit if she wants to, but it seems she frankly does not want to.

Lol what? "Nobody was really told how much political unrest would arise from brexit" Brexit has been the most controversial issue in British politics since the ref was announced. 48 to 52 is quite divisive, and not at all an overwhelming majority. We can easily have a Brexit that the "people" voted for, but May needs to be ousted first, and replaced with someone who has supported leave throughout the campaign and understands what the people want, which is the problem as remain politicians do not understand leave voters and their demands. People want Brexit regardless, they voted for it, so tough luck.

Corbyn has been pro-Brexit since the ref he has given a stance, but he has not given a coherent plan for how we will leave. Labour are unsure what to do as well. He already has been held accountable by remain voters, begging him to change his stance. some examples;

• In December 2016, Jeremy Corbyn voted in Parliament in favour of the UK leaving the EU and for the process to start no later than 31 March 2017.
  • Jeremy Corbyn three times voted in February 2017 in favour of the Prime Minister starting the process of leaving the European Union.
  • During the 2017 general election, the independent Channel 4 Factcheck service found very little difference between Jeremy Corbyn and Theresa May over Europe.
  • In the summer of 2017, Jeremy Corbyn opposed Britain remaining in the Single Market. He even sacked from his team Labour MPs who voted in favour of membership of the Single Market.
Gwilym101
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If she'd had more charisma than a dead fish and secured a proper majority she should have not triggered article 50 until the government had a starting position on what Brexit actually constituted. This whole "brexit means brexit" ******** is ridiculous and stupid as Brexit hasn't been defined, we leave the EU, do we stay in the customs union? (which is possible for non-members), what legislation do we want to keep?, what arrangement best secures our economic future? This **** should have all been decided and agreed upon before article 50 was invoked. As it is, we've 16 months into our 24 month negotiation period, our government has only just decided what it wants to negotiate for and only 4 hours of negotiation has actually taken place.
This isn't getting into the number of bloviating jackasses that have quit solely to score political points.
bob072
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you had followed the news just this week, President Trump has been urging May to do a proper brexit so that we can have a great trade deal with them (our largest trading partner).
bob072
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by random_matt)
People who think she is delivering Brexit really need to read the consequences of her proposals, we are still going to be tied to the EU. We are not actually leaving, I was unaware the losing team actually wins.
People are seriously feeling betrayed with this. A poll today puts Labour 4 points ahead because UKIP are up on 8%, the highest in 14 months.
So-Sarah
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pantera Fan Club)
Better get your Irish passports and fast folks. I heard Portugal is great this time of year.
well, the more people like you that leave the country, the better

and what makes you think you actually have anything to offer Ireland or Portuagal anyway?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (18)
25.35%
1 (8)
11.27%
2 (12)
16.9%
3 (9)
12.68%
4 (7)
9.86%
5 (6)
8.45%