MacBook Pro for Mechanical Engineering

Watch this thread
kads93
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I’ve recently turned 18 and got a MacBook Pro as a present. I’m going to be starting a Mechanical Engineering degree after summer and was wondering if anyone could let me know the advantages and disadvantages of using a MacBook for this purpose and if there’s any way to overcome the disadvantages. Thank you.
Marcus_:D
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
It’s much easier to use programmes on windows devices for programming and modelling situations which you may come across, however there are almost always Mac versions of software.

I’ve heard complaints about ergonomics with the new MacBooks, especially with the escape key if you have the touch bar and the thin keys can be quite uncomfortable if you are quite a heavy presser and like the feedback when you push into the keys.

Other than that, performance wise everything should be okay and I don’t think there is a massive worry about it, but just take care of it 🙂
LostChip1
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Not sure about other disadvantages, but i know you can't use a lot of CAD software on mac (you also might want to check if you can use software like matlab and labview and other software you will be using).

you can bookcamp your macbook to run windows alongside MacOS. Although, the windows operating system in this case doesn't work as well as a standard windows laptop (overheating, limited windows shortcuts etc).

All in all not too bad tbh, if you have a 16gb RAM mac i think it will tailor to your duties just fine.
kads93
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Marcus_:D)
It’s much easier to use programmes on windows devices for programming and modelling situations which you may come across, however there are almost always Mac versions of software.

I’ve heard complaints about ergonomics with the new MacBooks, especially with the escape key if you have the touch bar and the thin keys can be quite uncomfortable if you are quite a heavy presser and like the feedback when you push into the keys.

Other than that, performance wise everything should be okay and I don’t think there is a massive worry about it, but just take care of it 🙂
Do you think it would be expected of me to install all the Engineering software on my own device or would it be okay to use the university computers?
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kads93)
Do you think it would be expected of me to install all the Engineering software on my own device or would it be okay to use the university computers?
Most people just use the university workstations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Strathclyde Student Ambassador
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi All,

I'm a very recent (two weeks ago) graduate of Mechanical Engineering (MEng) at Strathclyde, and I've used a Macbook pro for my entire university career. Thanks for asking the question kads93.

Marcus_:D and LostChip1, are right about the respective software limitations, for example Autodesk Inventor (3D cad package), doesn't have a dedicated full mac suite, however what most people do in this case is 'partition' their laptop, essentially load windows onto say 10% of the memory of your mac so you can run both - this way you get the best of both worlds with mac hardware and power, as well as the software options of windows.

That said university workstations will generally be where you do the bulk of your hardcore simulations.

I would recommend you get Matlab for Mac, and a non-subscription version of word & excel for mac (2011 version is more than ample!).

If you have any other questions about laptop choices or indeed 5 years of mechanical engineering, I'll be on this all week.

Best of luck
Calvin - Strathclyde Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.38%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.03%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.35%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (24)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (35)
25.74%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
19.85%

Watched Threads