What is your favorite book genre?

Watch
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What is your favorite genre of book, and why?
Marcus_:D
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I love a crime thriller because of its plot and I like the situation of uncovering truths that the author has drawn in words.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Romance, in the broadest sense of the word. Everything from sweet YA romance to 18+ too-kinky-to-be-believable fiction. Even a lot of my favourite books that don't fall under romance will have a good love story packed between the action.

For a decade I exclusively read LGBT romance, starting with fanfic before I came across Change of Heart by Mary Calmes in 2010. It was through that series I discovered how big the genre truly was and how great the community surrounding it could be. It was like I'd found my home as I'd been writing LGBT-centric fiction myself since 2006. But then when I lived with a friend for a year 2015-16 who gave me free-reign of her collection, mostly consisting of dystopian YA fiction, it got me reading a lot more mainstream stories with M/F couples. It broke down a barrier in my enjoyment of romance that I had acknowledged was there but hadn't had any incentive to cross. It's caused me to expand the scope of my own writing too to include het couples.

As for why it's my favourite, I like fast-paced stories that focus more on the characters and the way in which they interact with each other. I get stupidly excited over little details and reading between the lines. Nothing has me turning pages faster than wishing for my two favourite characters to get together. The more friction and snark the better. :heart:
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by sinfonietta)
Romance, in the broadest sense of the word. Everything from sweet YA romance to 18+ too-kinky-to-be-believable fiction. Even a lot of my favourite books that don't fall under romance will have a good love story packed between the action.

For a decade I exclusively read LGBT romance, starting with fanfic before I came across Change of Heart by Mary Calmes in 2010. It was through that series I discovered how big the genre truly was and how great the community surrounding it could be. It was like I'd found my home as I'd been writing LGBT-centric fiction myself since 2006. But then when I lived with a friend for a year 2015-16 who gave me free-reign of her collection, mostly consisting of dystopian YA fiction, it got me reading a lot more mainstream stories with M/F couples. It broke down a barrier in my enjoyment of romance that I had acknowledged was there but hadn't had any incentive to cross. It's caused me to expand the scope of my own writing too to include het couples.

As for why it's my favourite, I like fast-paced stories that focus more on the characters and the way in which they interact with each other. I get stupidly excited over little details and reading between the lines. Nothing has me turning pages faster than wishing for my two favourite characters to get together. The more friction and snark the better. :heart:
I’d love to get some LGBT romance recommendations from you if you have any? I’ve got really into the genre this year and am always on the lookout for new books
Rum Ham
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Horror.

People seem shocked when they find out how much I love all things horror because I am such a highly strung person in real life and suffer from a few anxiety disorders but I will happily expose myself to scary and fear provoking things while watching or reading horror fiction. The thing about horror is, its controlled fear. You are in control - you can switch it off or stop reading at any point whereas you can't when you have anxiety problems. I love the genre in general because of the control to it, I have always been into all things dark and macabre, horror fandoms are full of such brilliant and friendly people and that I find the genre to be an escape and outlet for when life gets tough. Like Stephen King said - "we make up horror to help us cope with the real ones" :yep:
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
True crime. I love everything about it. The background of the killer and victims, the police procedure, the investigation, the profiling, the trial.
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
I’d love to get some LGBT romance recommendations from you if you have any? I’ve got really into the genre this year and am always on the lookout for new books
Are you sure you're ready to open this can of worms?

Not sure if you're looking for contemporary romance or interested in it mixed with other genres so I'm going to throw in a mixture. Here are a selection of my favourites:

Spoiler:
Show

At First Sight (Series) - T.J. Klune [Contemporary]
Bullied - Jeff Erno [Young Adult/Contemporary/Short Stories]
Change of Heart (Series) - Mary Calmes [Paranormal-Shifters/Urban Fantasy]
Chrysalis Corporation - T.A. Venediktov [Science Fiction]
Erasing Shame - Yeyu [Historical]
Hemovore - Jordan Castillo Price [Paranormal-Vampires/Urban Fantasy]
Infected (Series) - Andrea Speed [Paranormal-Shifters/Urban Fantasy/Detective/Mystery]
Plan B - SJD Peterson [Contemporary]
precious_boy - K.Z. Snow [Contemporary]
Psycop (Series) - Jordan Castillo Price [Paranormal-Ghosts/Police/Mystery]
Stygian - Santino Hassell [Contemporary/Light Paranormal]
They Both Die at the End - Adam Silvera [Young Adult/Contemporary]
Rage (Series) - Sam C. Leonhard [Fantasy]
Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green & David Levithan [Young Adult/Contemporary]

Arguably though I'd recommend almost anything by Jordan Castillo Price and SJD Peterson. And I've read incredibly good snippets from Josh Lanyon's extensive bibliography but not got as far as reading a full book yet. There are others that I'd recommend that veer more heavily towards kink/erotica, so I'll play it safe and say PM me if you want to hear them.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?

Not sure if you're looking for contemporary romance or interested in it mixed with other genres so I'm going to throw in a mixture. Here are a selection of my favourites:

Spoiler:
Show

Infected (Series) - Andrea Speed [Paranormal-Shifters/Urban Fantasy/Detective/Mystery]
Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green & David Levithan [Young Adult/Contemporary]

Arguably though I'd recommend almost anything by Jordan Castillo Price and SJD Peterson. And I've read incredibly good snippets from Josh Lanyon's extensive bibliography but not got as far as reading a full book yet. There are others that I'd recommend that veer more heavily towards kink/erotica, so I'll play it safe and say PM me if you want to hear them.
I'll check some of these out soon, thank you very much for the list

Posted from TSR Mobile
username2281303
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't really have a favourite genre, if it has a good storyline, i'll read it

but mostly psychological thrillers seem to connect with me (particular with themes involving drugs, murder, etc)
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can classic be counted as a genre? classic itself has many sub-genres. Classic has not a clear definition, hasn't it?
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
Can classic be counted as a genre? classic itself has many sub-genres. Classic has not a clear definition, hasn't it?
I think it can be counted as a genre myself - it's a broad genre, but it still counts!
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it can be counted as a genre myself - it's a broad genre, but it still counts!
It is almost the only genre I am reading. So it just can be this one. I like the timeless factor most of all.
Kaffee_1998
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sci- fi. You can be as creative as fantasy and make it more interesting.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i quite like books by Special Forces dudes.

"Chris Ryan" is better than "Andy McNab" imho
Zomar4
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
YA books and classics
princess770
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I love reading horror suspense and mystery
username4094562
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Spoiler:
Show

I loved the Lightning-Struck Heart by T.J. Klune.
username4094562
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I read a variety of book genres but I would say the three genres I tend to read the most are Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Realist Victorian fiction. I particularly like books that have a LGBT theme to it, such as E.M Forster's 'Maurice' and Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series.
Tiffany Miles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I like detective novels.A good story always keeps in suspense until the end.
shadowdweller
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kaffee_1998)
Sci- fi. You can be as creative as fantasy and make it more interesting.
Definitely agree with SciFi :love:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (137)
14.41%
I'm not sure (42)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (286)
30.07%
I have already dropped out (24)
2.52%
I'm not a current university student (462)
48.58%

Watched Threads