How did Gerald Croft contribute to Eva's death?

Watch
username3457004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Like how, if anything he prevented it for some time by providing Eva with care and support for some time which could have prevented her from dying sooner. Unlike Sheila and Mr Birling I don't see how this negatively impacted Eva at all.
denyagoss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's implied that Gerald did love Eva however, due to him being her social superior he disposed of her when it suited him, abusing his social superiority and demonstratinf perfectly how priestly thought the upper classes to be ignorant, manipulating and abusive of the lower classes
username3457004
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by denyagoss)
It's implied that Gerald did love Eva however, due to him being her social superior he disposed of her when it suited him, abusing his social superiority and demonstratinf perfectly how priestly thought the upper classes to be ignorant, manipulating and abusive of the lower classes
So that represents the upper class in a harsh manner, but how did it contribute to Eva's death?
denyagoss
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think that his disposal of her reiterated the previous impression given to her that her class lessened her value? Like for instance if Eva Smith was of a higher class Gerald arguably would never have treat her the way he had
reinaadira
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
tI never thought he contributed to her death its self, as he made her happy for sometime as the Inspector said once, and it kind of slowed things down

but nevertheless he did use her when it suited him and that is more the exploitation in my opinion and unfair treatment of the lower class that is never justified
Tj8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it's the fact that Eva still loved him when he left and so when he left relatively suddenly she suddenly had nothing and that was such a stark difference to the love she had felt before. I guess it made her realise how many things she wanted in her life but couldn't get such as love and stability and so him leaving again was just conformation that nobody would stay with her or help her and so she killed herself.
x
Lit teacher
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When Gerald rescued her from the Palace Bar she was hungry and desperate. He used his money and contacts to temporarily give her security, but then also used her for sex. And then when it was no longer convenient, he ended the deal, gave her some cash and waved her goodbye. He didn't make the situation for her any worse, but at the end of the relationship she was back exactly where she started - selling herself in the Palace Bar.
Gerald had the perfect opportunity to help her and may have had good intentions at first, but like Mr Birling and Eric he thought that a problem could be made to go away by throwing money at it.

I think Gerald was included to provide more of a range of characters. The Birlings all have features that make them appear as stereotypical villains. Gerald offers a slightly more sympathetic character, perhaps to add a small sense of balance.
CR._2004
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes i agree lit teacher
LoneWolf225
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mean, the Inspector states before his speech that Gerald kept her happy for a moment. Gerald's involvement with Eva, caused her to fall for him and this was just wrongful, because he was aware that Eva cannot have him due to social separations. Besides, Gerald did not feel the same way for Eva as she did for him. I believe the Birlings contributed moreso, with Eric raping and impregnating her, Arthur firing her and beginning this mess, Sybil denying her help to her dreadful situation, Sheila firing her from emotional instability.
That seems like a hard question and hopefully AQA are nice enough to give you something better.
shanayaaaaaa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
He made her feel valued but also at the same time lead her on for a long time. He however cut ties with Daisy Renton when he realised how her intensifying love for him would affect him negatively. He abused his social advantages when he decide to support her financially and in return gained sexual intercourse from the 'young and pretty' girl. Gerald left her and Daisy Renton went further down her path to sucide.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (183)
28.82%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (105)
16.54%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.13%
I want to meet current students (53)
8.35%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
8.03%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
20%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.98%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.15%

Watched Threads