The Student Room Group

who voted for Brexit and now regrets it ...? Be Honest ..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sulfolobus
One of the central narratives to the Brexit campaign was trying to shift blame onto the EU for our problems. The EU/Europeans are responsible for stealing our jobs, wages, benefits, first loves, whatever.

So it comes as no surprise that having voted for Brexit without bothering to develop a suitable strategy for extricating ourselves from the EU, Brexit supporters are now pointing the finger of blame at everyone but themselves for the entirely predictable chaos and uncertainty. This anti-responsbility mindset that you promote has not only made us a laughing stock in other European countries, but also goes a long way to explain why we are the most obese nation in Western Europe.

No, one of the central narratives of Remain was pretending that xenophobia is the overriding reason for voting to Leave.

Britain is not a laughing stock - the only people who think that are Remainers. The other EU nations are waiting to see what happens, most of them having fairly strong anti-EU bodies in their own countries. The EU leadership want to paint Britain as a laughing stock - because that's what they do. They use every single opportunity to sow division and politick.

Sure, Brexit has become a mess. I fully embrace that, because there is almost no price I wouldn't pay for Britain to be free of the EU. Much of the reason is because the whole thing was poorly thought out - most people including Cameron had no inkling that a successful Leave vote was possible, hence the extreme bitterness and anger from Remainers.

I do blame the EU and Remainers for at least part of the problems we are having at the moment. The EU want the process to be as painful as possible to deter others from leaving, and Remainers are under the impression that if they cause as much trouble as possible, they can reverse the decision.

I have no doubt that Brexit is going to be a festering sore in British Politics for generations to come. Europe had been a divisive issue for decades, and I see no reason why that would change. I would like to think that Remainers can at least at some point accept it.

To the EU - I hope it collapses peacefully and frees Europe from it's insane power-hungry ambitions.
Original post by Trinculo
No, one of the central narratives of Remain was pretending that xenophobia is the overriding reason for voting to Leave.

That might have been a rationalisation after the event. It has little to do with the Remain campaign which wasn't expecting to lose. It is undoubtedly true that many of the foot soldiers of Brexit voted that way because of immigration. Others just wanted to give Cameron a kicking. That has little to do with the Brexit campaigns other than dog-whistling to get their votes.

Britain is not a laughing stock - the only people who think that are Remainers. The other EU nations are waiting to see what happens, most of them having fairly strong anti-EU bodies in their own countries. The EU leadership want to paint Britain as a laughing stock - because that's what they do. They use every single opportunity to sow division and politick.

Yes, we are, including among Eurosceptic parties in Europe that think we have made a complete horlicks of this.

because there is almost no price I wouldn't pay for Britain to be free of the EU.

That is where you part company with the vast majority of the British population.

I do blame the EU and Remainers for at least part of the problems we are having at the moment. The EU want the process to be as painful as possible to deter others from leaving, and Remainers are under the impression that if they cause as much trouble as possible, they can reverse the decision.

The problem is that there was never a deliverable Brexit. There could have been. But that needed a rational view of what we would have to sacrifice. The vision of Brexit put forward was not that Brexit was collectively better for Britain but that nothing individually would be worse. That is why it has not been negotiable.

Even today the Daily Mail has a "this is what will happen in a "no deal Brexit"" feature but most of the unpalatable things have been dismissed as "we will do a deal over these". No you won't. If you, Paul Dacre, think you are going to welsh on writing a cheque for £39 Billion and yet France is going to let British Airways jets land at Orly, you are out of your tiny mind.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Trinculo

I have no doubt that Brexit is going to be a festering sore in British Politics for generations to come. Europe had been a divisive issue for decades, and I see no reason why that would change. I would like to think that Remainers can at least at some point accept it.

To the EU - I hope it collapses peacefully and frees Europe from it's insane power-hungry ambitions.

I don't really see how the EU are making this difficult. They are providing swift and comprehensive responses to proposals, accepted a fudge of transition arrangements and are expressing flexibility on N Ireland.

Why would remainers accept it? Leavers never accepted the EU. Those seeking Scottish independence ain't going to accept the remain vote. Why should they.

Seems unlikely the EU is going anywhere, even we can't leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending