The Student Room Group

I'm friends with a rapist

Someone I used to be close friends with back in school was accused of rape about a year ago. I'm usually skeptical of these claims but from what I'm aware it was pretty clear cut and he even admitted it to one of his friends. I'm not particularly close with them but I do run into them on nights out, as he's friends with one of my friends. Not really sure how to approach the situation, when I originally heard about what he did I thought I would **** him up if I ever saw him again.

However, when I actually saw him, although I tried to remain cold towards him, after a few drinks I was having a properly decent conversation with him and acting like best friends again. I know what he did was disgusting and I'm obviously going to keep my distance from him but I can't help but kind of like hanging out with him. He's nothing more than a drinking buddy and I wouldn't be in contact with him at all if he didn't hang out with my actual friends. However they all seem to have forgiven him, despite knowing what he did, so I'm guessing I'm not the only one who's behaving oddly in this situation. Anyone have any experiences themselves in this type of situation or any advice?

Scroll to see replies

My (bad) advice would be to just beat the him until he wished he was dead.
Is your friend called Bryce Walker?
I think my judgement would depend on what kind of rape ?

was it a violent rape using a weapon ? or was it a technical rape where he didnt use a condom or get explicit yes

I know someone who was accused of rape and he lost all his friends
I can give you 13 reasons why you should cut him off.
Original post by Rainfall
I can give you 13 reasons why you should cut him off.

HA HAA!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I think my judgement would depend on what kind of rape ?

was it a violent rape using a weapon ? or was it a technical rape where he didnt use a condom or get explicit yes

I know someone who was accused of rape and he lost all his friends
It wasn't a violent rape of a stranger. From what I'm aware it was a case of him ignoring her desires to stop and not using protection.
Reply 7
throw stones at him
Reply 8
The banality of evil.
Get his side of the story

Still think he's a rapist? Just stay away. Obviously ignore the people who are saying be violent towards him because if he did it to one girl, he could do it to you so maybe don't give him a reason to.

Anyway that's one person who's suffered through rape herself's opinion. Only posting on anon because I want to give you advice but I'm not ready for people to know x
It wasn't a violent rape of a stranger. From what I'm aware it was a case of him ignoring her desires to stop and not using protection.

Rape is rape.

I tend to only be friends with good people, not people whom don't see my as their next victim.

`Really hope you're a troll.
My advice to you is cut all ties with him and let justice take its course on this.
you had a few drinks with a rapist maybe subconsciously you wanted him to rape you.
Someone I used to be close friends with back in school was accused of rape about a year ago. I'm usually skeptical of these claims but from what I'm aware it was pretty clear cut and he even admitted it to one of his friends. I'm not particularly close with them but I do run into them on nights out, as he's friends with one of my friends. Not really sure how to approach the situation, when I originally heard about what he did I thought I would **** him up if I ever saw him again.

However, when I actually saw him, although I tried to remain cold towards him, after a few drinks I was having a properly decent conversation with him and acting like best friends again. I know what he did was disgusting and I'm obviously going to keep my distance from him but I can't help but kind of like hanging out with him. He's nothing more than a drinking buddy and I wouldn't be in contact with him at all if he didn't hang out with my actual friends. However they all seem to have forgiven him, despite knowing what he did, so I'm guessing I'm not the only one who's behaving oddly in this situation. Anyone have any experiences themselves in this type of situation or any advice?

I have two friends who’ve had rape claims against them
One had it claimed twice, police were involved and no evidence found (he’s literally my best friend and his ex accused him)
The other raped his then girlfriend. She never went to the police and I try to avoid him at all costs as he keeps making advances and comments and it’s all a bit ew
Most seem to have forgiven him but I don’t trust him and am civil and that’s it
Original post by JTfoxlove
Rape is rape.

I tend to only be friends with good people, not people whom don't see my as their next victim.

`Really hope you're a troll.

No it isnt, there is a big difference between someone being a bit drunk and perhaps going too far and someone following someone in an alleyway with a weapon and raping someone
Only on TSR
Original post by AperfectBalance
No it isnt, there is a big difference between someone being a bit drunk and perhaps going too far and someone following someone in an alleyway with a weapon and raping someone

Nope.

Rape is rape but I'd happily agree to extra punitive sanctions which take into additional physical violence, abuse of trust/position, etc.

Rape remains rape.
I would cut him out. You are who you hang out with. Do you really want to be associated with people like him? If you decide to continue hanging out with him after you know for fact what he's done, means you are okay with what hes done. Hes a drinking buddy, they are easy to replace.
Reply 18
Nope.

Rape is rape but I'd happily agree to extra punitive sanctions which take into additional physical violence, abuse of trust/position, etc.

Rape remains rape.

chill you virgin
Nope.

Rape remains rape.

I agree with @AperfectBalance. There is a clear difference between being in a stable mindset and being drunk and inept. It is still wrong either way. But that is his opinion and one that you may not agree with but you should still be respectful about it rather than trying to sit on a high horse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending