The Student Room Group

Isolation Due To Politics

I'm about to start my 1st year at uni, hopefully to do law (fingers crossed I get in). Basically, I went to a very small sixth form, with around 30 students, all very left wing. I myself am right wing (whether you agree with that or not is neither here nor there), and faced massive social exclusion from the other students because of that. I'm a nice person and usually get on well with others, but as soon as politics come up in conversation, game over as they seemed so disgusted by an opposing point of view.

Is this likely to continue at uni? Are people more accepting of different views there? I will be doing law so it isn't a matter of not bringing it up. Also, why should I hide it, it's not exactly a dirty secret?

Many say "why worry?", but it was such an issue at sixth form, it is playing on my mind.

Anyway, let's try not to have a political debate down below just legitimate answers.

Thanks
I know the feeling, even saying I am a conservative is enough to make quite a few "tolerant leftists" hate me, I tend not to bring up politics because I know this will happen.
If you look, you'll find plenty of other right-wing students. Join a student/young conservative society. Most uni's have them. Remember, don't tell them why we're so much happier being right-wing, show them!
Reply 3
Original post by AperfectBalance
I know the feeling, even saying I am a conservative is enough to make quite a few "tolerant leftists" hate me, I tend not to bring up politics because I know this will happen.

All of the people you hear talk about right wing politics, such as Ben Shapiro and Dave Rubin, say to not be afraid to voice your thoughts etc. Which is a nice idea, but it's pretty hard when you will face such a lonely existence. Especially in a completely new place, far from home. It's not like sixth form when you can go home at the end of the day, shut the door and forget about school, because you are there pretty much 24/7.
(edited 5 years ago)
As the old saying goes, if you want to be popular, don't discuss religion or politics.
Original post by SWF1
All of the people you hear talk about right wing politics, such as Ben Shapiro and Dave Rubin, say to not be afraid to voice your thoughts etc. Which is a nice idea, but it's pretty hard when you will face such a lonely existence. Especially in a completely new place, far from home. It's not like sixth form when you can go home at the end of the day, shut the door and forget about school, when you are there pretty much 24/7.

Overall it is better to be covert and only occasionally challenge them, if my classmates knew how I really felt I would probably be lynched. Do it later in life when you have less to lose much like Enoch Powell.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
As the old saying goes, if you want to be popular, don't discuss religion or politics.

Unless you are a leftist because you can do no wrong in the eyes of your peers, we had bloody communists and anarchists in our class that spouted views related to killing rich people and taking away their land and most saw them as ok people.
I think, if you respectfully talk about your political point of view - People shouldn’t have an issue with it in itself? Essentially, if you’re just non judgemental towards others political stance, they *should* be the same towards you. It’s okay to disagree with others as long as it doesn’t cause any conflict.
Reply 8
Original post by SWF1
I'm about to start my 1st year at uni, hopefully to do law (fingers crossed I get in). Basically, I went to a very small sixth form, with around 30 students, all very left wing. I myself am right wing (whether you agree with that or not is neither here nor there), and faced massive social exclusion from the other students because of that. I'm a nice person and usually get on well with others, but as soon as politics come up in conversation, game over as they seemed so disgusted by an opposing point of view.

Is this likely to continue at uni? Are people more accepting of different views there? I will be doing law so it isn't a matter of not bringing it up. Also, why should I hide it, it's not exactly a dirty secret?

Many say "why worry?", but it was such an issue at sixth form, it is playing on my mind.

Anyway, let's try not to have a political debate down below just legitimate answers.

Thanks

Hi,

I also am in a small minority at my university through supporting brexit, but the idea all students are raving intolerant lefties isn't true in my experience, most aren't that interested in politics.

My advice would be don't talk about it much until you get to know people, then they won't judge you on that and you can probably just laugh about it.
Reply 9
Unless you are a leftist because you can do no wrong in the eyes of your peers, we had bloody communists and anarchists in our class that spouted views related to killing rich people and taking away their land and most saw them as ok people.

There were loads of people that called themselves communists at sixth form. They loved to preach about Karl Marx and exploitation, at the same time tweeting about it and getting McDonalds for lunch and watching Netflix in their free periods.
There will be a society you can join, and if people ask you about politics, instead of mentioning something like 'i think Jeremy Corbyn is an idiot', or 'i am a devoted UKIP member', instead mention the policies you like, and explain why, and how it benefits people. Students often associate right wings with rich kids and racists, instead just explain policies when arguing.
Reply 11
Original post by criggles
There will be a society you can join, and if people ask you about politics, instead of mentioning something like 'i think Jeremy Corbyn is an idiot', or 'i am a devoted UKIP member', instead mention the policies you like, and explain why, and how it benefits people. Students often associate right wings with rich kids and racists, instead just explain policies when arguing.

I agree. The thing is though, I find I can calmly and politely explain my points with facts, legislation statistics etc, yet it will end up with the other becoming hostile. For example, Trump. When they bring him up and then brand me as a vile human for supporting him, you can explain any point you like in such a clear, informed and non-aggressive way, and still you get someone go absolutely crazy, like you have just punched their grandmother type mad.
Original post by SWF1
I agree. The thing is though, I find I can calmly and politely explain my points with facts, legislation statistics etc, yet it will end up with the other becoming hostile. For example, Trump. When they bring him up and then brand me as a vile human for supporting him, you can explain any point you like in such a clear, informed and non-aggressive way, and still you get someone go absolutely crazy, like you have just punched their grandmother type mad.

I'm sorry, but when you say you support a misogynistic, xenophobic, sexual harasser who constantly and blatantly lies, and locks up children in cages, there's no helping you.

Just don't mention you support him personally, but instead, support the party.
(edited 5 years ago)
*shrug* You can't simply ignore that a lot of people have strong feelings about right wing politics at the moment, hypothetically, they might well have a point?

Hell 20 years ago you'd be sacked and PROPERLY socially outcast for being in the BNP or such. UKIP was a the glossy watered down revival.
Reply 14
I'm sorry, but when you say you support a misogynistic, xenophobic, sexual harasser who constantly and blatantly lies, and locks up children in cages, there's no helping you.

xenophobic lol, how old are you.
Original post by bob072
xenophobic lol, how old are you.

3 years old, but I don't think that really matters.
Reply 16

- Women's unemployment is at a low under Trump and their wages are much higher
- He is not xenophobic, his wife is a Russian immigrant. He welcomes Immigration as long as it is legal. There are many points about this, I assume you are referring to the travel ban. This was drawn up by Obama in 2014, Trump simply decided to use it, because the 7 countries it applies to refused to share terrorism data with America, thereby posing a direct threat to them. The reason it is reported as a muslim ban is that the countries are majority Muslim. A travel ban is also not a new concept, they have been used before but no one cared
- The allegations of sexual harassment are just that, allegations. Facts are what need to be used otherwise anyone could get anyone imprisoned. There have been worse things said by other candidates, for example Hillary Clinton when she joked about rape
- Trump has dramatically improved the conditions for detainees at the borders. Obama gave detainees cages and rubber mats. Trump has given them actual beds. Children also get separated from their parents to prevent them being sex trafficked or kidnapped, which was a massive issue at the border. He has just signed a bill that is going through Congress to prevent the separation of children from their parents.

Not trying to provoke, simply informing you of the facts :smile:

Everyone loves a nutter.

Quick Reply

Latest