The Student Room Group

Logic circuits

Hey guys, I'm currently studying logic circuits for my exams and came across a question "7. An electrical circuit is set up with four switches. A lamp will light only if the following happens:
Switches A and B are both on.
Either Switch C or Switch D is on, but not both.
Draw a logic circuit to represent this" I made a AND gate for A and B, made a XOR gate for C and D but dont know how to close the circuit into one output as I now have two outputs. I hope you guys understand my situation and help with it, Thank you.
Original post by fadi tariq
hey guys, i'm currently studying logic circuits for my exams and came across a question "7. An electrical circuit is set up with four switches. A lamp will light only if the following happens:
switches a and b are both on.
either switch c or switch d is on, but not both.
Draw a logic circuit to represent this" i made a and gate for a and b, made a xor gate for c and d but dont know how to close the circuit into one output as i now have two outputs. I hope you guys understand my situation and help with it, thank you.

(AB)(CD)(A\bullet B) \bullet (C\oplus D)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
(AB)+(CD)(A\bullet B) + (C\oplus D)

Hello uberteknik, thank you for your answer but I don't understand what you mean by the bullet point and plus which gates are they supposed to represent?
Original post by Fadi Tariq
Hello uberteknik, thank you for your answer but I don't understand what you mean by the bullet point and plus which gates are they supposed to represent?

No worries.

I've looked at it again this morning and noticed I made an an error which is corrected below. Apologies (it was 3 in the morning! Lol)

F=(AB)(CD)F = (A\bullet B) \bullet (C\oplus D)

ABA\bullet B = A AND B

CDC\oplus D = C EXOR D

+ = OR

The AND function arises from the question which stated 'the lamp will only be on when', then gives two conditional logic statements.

i.e. The AND function is implied but not explicitly stated in this particular question.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Thank you uberteknik for your answer, I found it very helpful.
Original post by Fadi Tariq
Thank you uberteknik for your answer, I found it very helpful.

hello brother

Quick Reply

Latest