The Student Room Group

Independent Student Loan Back-Date

Last year when I applied for my student loan I was 25 years old prior to the 1st of August 2017, which according to SAAS should qualify me to be considered an Independent Student.

I didn't really pay much attention to what max loan values there were, I just asked for non-income assessed and received £4750 as the max value. I assumed this was the highest I could get.

I've checked my award letter on the SAAS website and now it's saying I have £6750 being due to be paid to me this year. This is a massive difference of £2000 and on investigating this it looks like it is because I've been classed as an independent student due to being, now, 26 at the time of applying for my fourth year.

The issue is though I was 25 and an 'independent' student last year - so why was I put forward for £4750 loan on a non-income assessed application?

Nothing has changed regarding my status, the application was identical to last years with the only difference being the year of study I was applying for and my age.

So I'm wondering if I raise this to SAAS or the SLC if they will back pay the £2000 I missed last year onto this years loan offering? Might be a long shot, but I genuinely didn't realise the differences until now.

If anyone can shed any light would be most appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending