The Student Room Group

gf dumped me by text today

I am in pieces as my gf just dumped me by text message saying it is not gonna work with us both going to uni and said she needs time to be single, we were each others first, we had been together for nearly 2 years and this as come out the blue as the other day she was talking how she was gonna come visit me at uni with us only being an hour from each other, why would she do this to me?
Reply 1
She may have suddenly had a reality check or maybe her friend told her a bad story of a long distance relationship working out?
It happens. It will suck at first but soon you will get over it.
Reply 3
Obviously, it is not fair on you for her to do it so suddenly and on text. I feel for you.
x
Reply 4
no i wont get over this i love her so much i feel like texting her a long texting saying why we should stay together even her friends said we were made for each other
Original post by Jambo J
no i wont get over this i love her so much i feel like texting her a long texting saying why we should stay together even her friends said we were made for each other

Everyone says this at the start. But trust me you will.
Look at the positives, you're now free to find a shiny, new girlfriend at Uni. It sucks at the minute but at least at freshers there's nothing holding you back anymore. Can fully enjoy and embrace the experience :biggrin:
Reply 7
Also, maybe she wants to go searching and see who else is out there. You said your eachother's firsts so she probably wants to explore and doesn't want to be held back at uni by a relationship at home - she might want the freedom of being able to flirt etc with other guys at uni.
Feel for you,
x
Reply 8
*you're
Reply 9
but why say i am the love of her life just the other day when we were at the beach
It was a lousy way to end it after two years but you will get over it, however, understandably bad you feel now.
There are very very few people who stay with their first love forever.
Moving apart, making new friends and starting new courses would make your relationship even more difficult.
Give yourself time to heal and enjoy yourself at uni
Original post by Jambo J
I am in pieces as my gf just dumped me by text message saying it is not gonna work with us both going to uni and said she needs time to be single, we were each others first, we had been together for nearly 2 years and this as come out the blue as the other day she was talking how she was gonna come visit me at uni with us only being an hour from each other, why would she do this to me?

Unless there was some reason more than that, then text is a very thoughtless, unfriendly and lazy way to do it.
The fact she has done it shows you it was in the way out anyway. Not many relationships last uni and so it makes sense.

Hopefully your exams will go well and then uni is the best for you as its a clean slate and you get to see people fresh. Leave the baggage at home.
You are going to be in shock for a few weeks, but then if you have your head switched on, then get busy enjoying uni.
No relationship will last if there's sex before marriage.
As a general rule.
Unfortunately this is somewhat common, and it's definitely not your fault. Whether it's the guy or girl in the relationship, one of them often will end up panicking as the next stage gets closer and deciding that maybe they were thinking too narrowly about their future life and aren't so sure anymore. On top of that, emotions are fleeting. It's really hard to rely on the excitement of romance, because if there's not true commitment and something deeper under the surface, things can change unexpectedly. I know how much that can hurt. Talk to her more when the time is right, and make sure she wasn't just overreacting to something or making an unnecessarily rash decision.

Maybe the two of you will change your minds and unexpectedly reunite, but it's not something you can bank your hopes on. I ended up regretting the amount of time I spent in college hoping to reconcile with a girl and then hoping I would end up with another girl. I ended up getting really into film and photography, and I would encourage you to similarly pursue something you're passionate about in order to keep your mind off of this girl and better yourself in the meantime. What are you going to be studying? How can you pursue it with vigour, and look for opportunities to advance it outside of your classes? Hoping for the best, and that you will look to the bright future.
she wants to monkey branch, don't be surprised..

Quick Reply

Latest