Failed my mocks (yr10) need help for yr 11

Watch
Maiya-016
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I failed all my mocks and got like 12/80 on every paper, even though I revised extremely hard on every topic in every subject, I used all my time just like I would in a real GCSE. This is scaring me for year11. Any tips please?
Tanzil784
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
First of all assuming the paper you got 12 on, is out of 80, was it maths
ERB_1998
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Did you revise?
lokidokie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Maiya-016)
So I failed all my mocks and got like 12/80 on every paper, even though I revised extremely hard on every topic in every subject, I used all my time just like I would in a real GCSE. This is scaring me for year11. Any tips please?
Find a more effective way to revise that works for you. At the end of the day, if you don't revise the right way it won't matter how many hours you put in.
aarnat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh my goodness, we have all been there and done that! Honestly do not worry, there was people in my year group who give a s*** whether they failed their GCSEs a couple of weeks before! It is nice to know you care but remember your mocks WILL be harder than the actual thing, I failed my mocks too - horrifically in fact, the only subject I had passed was maths and I got a 6. Look at what didn’t go well, was it cause I didn’t know stuff or was it cause I don’t know how to score marks, remember GCSEs are always that 50:50. I would recommend working through the specification if you want to do well, I remember I did that days before my History GCSE and it turned out Edexcel wanted to be assy and pick the last page of the specification AND the revision guide for a 12 marker in paper 2. SUMMARY: learn specification, and do lots of exam practice as well as understand the mark scheme. ALL THE BEST ❤️💕
maisiex10x
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Omg, I am in year 10 as well and this is literally me!! Where your mocks specimen papers? Just remember that we won't have covered all the content yet, I am really freaking out though!!! At least we are not the only ones!!
Maiya-016
Rep:
?
(Original post by ERB_1998)
Did you revise?
yes, i revised extremely harrd, like a real gcse exam. And, still failed?!!
Maiya-016
Rep:
?
(Original post by maisiex10x)
Omg, I am in year 10 as well and this is literally me!! Where your mocks specimen papers? Just remember that we won't have covered all the content yet, I am really freaking out though!!! At least we are not the only ones!!
(Original post by Tanzil Rahman)
First of all assuming the paper you got 12 on, is out of 80, was it maths
Yes, maths and science
Maiya-016
Rep:
?
(Original post by aarnat)
Oh my goodness, we have all been there and done that! Honestly do not worry, there was people in my year group who give a s*** whether they failed their GCSEs a couple of weeks before! It is nice to know you care but remember your mocks WILL be harder than the actual thing, I failed my mocks too - horrifically in fact, the only subject I had passed was maths and I got a 6. Look at what didn’t go well, was it cause I didn’t know stuff or was it cause I don’t know how to score marks, remember GCSEs are always that 50:50. I would recommend working through the specification if you want to do well, I remember I did that days before my History GCSE and it turned out Edexcel wanted to be assy and pick the last page of the specification AND the revision guide for a 12 marker in paper 2. SUMMARY: learn specification, and do lots of exam practice as well as understand the mark scheme. ALL THE BEST ❤️💕
Thankyou, at least im not the only one!
Maiya-016
Rep:
?
(Original post by maisiex10x)
To be honest, im not sure if they were specimen papers. And yes, i thought i was the only one who did bad in my mocks. Every one i know did amazingly well
Jenyvvv
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
All i can recommend is get a headstart. I can tell you care a lot about the grades and it's a good sign your wanting to improve. Remember: there are so many different revision techniques. How did you revise for these mocks?
Maiya-016
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jenyvvv)
All i can recommend is get a headstart. I can tell you care a lot about the grades and it's a good sign your wanting to improve. Remember: there are so many different revision techniques. How did you revise for these mocks?
I looked at CGP revison books and noted them down. I revised all the topics for example biology. I then learned each topic by heart! and spent at least 6 hours a day for 2 weeks. I just dont know where i went wrong?!
Jenyvvv
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I can suggest that you try different methods, like flashcards, take quizzes, practice papers. just experiment with methods becuase maybe noting down won't work for your brain to intake all the facts x
maisiex10x
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
did you do any PPQs this may be where you went wrong,try this next time
Liv2109
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't worry about it!

It may sound and seem stupid but revision takes practise to ensure that you are doing it in the correct and most beneficial way for you.

Have you tried taking some tests/quizzes online to see how you learn as they say there are many different types. Some people learn from writing things down, other from hearing or speaking it.

May I ask how you revised this time?
jemima0103
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You just need to find the best way to revise for you. I failed my biology mock and got quite low on geography and physics yet got good grades on history, English and chemistry, showing me that some revision techniques work better than others.

In our maths mock, some of the topics we hadn't covered yet and the grade boundaries used were quite harsh, but at least it showed the class what we needed to improve on.
Just remember that this is a mock and there is still time to improve.
sallyS22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd recommend trying out a few different revision techniques early next year, and also spend a bit of the summer practising the areas you struggled with. I found revision guides really ineffective, and instead tried out a number of different online platforms as these helped me understand more and recall the info better. Best for me was https://senecalearning.com/ and i also used https://quizlet.com/en-gb quite a bit (more for humanities than maths / science) and https://www.onmaths.com/. I also used a lot of youtubers, especially for maths and science, as they explain tricky concepts better and made it actually understandable for me. Hegartymaths, Primrosekitten, freesciencelessons etc .

Also, next year try to go through a bit of the year 10 work from each subject each week, on top of your year 11 work. Even if just 1 hour each weekend is spent doing 3 x 20min blocks of year 10 work, it will make it so much easier when you start revising as you won't have to learn it all again. Will just be refreshing
And I think the best way to improve marks is to do as much testing as possible, in lots of different formats. The more used to answering questions your brain gets and testing yourself, the better you become at it! Good luck!
tahmid011200
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i got the same type of levels as you too. didnt revise for sh** tho.
SomMC1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by tahmid011200)
i got the same type of levels as you too. didnt revise for sh** tho.
why wouldnt you revise for your year 10 mocks? it will all catch up to you and then you will regret not studying harder.
tahmid011200
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SomMC1)
why wouldnt you revise for your year 10 mocks? it will all catch up to you and then you will regret not studying harder.
i dont know tbh. im failing and i cant seem to find the right attitude. im even researching what happens if i fail GCSE and what opportunities are there if i do. I cant find the correct way to revise, especially maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
6.06%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (6)
18.18%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (4)
12.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (3)
9.09%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (11)
33.33%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (7)
21.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed