My best friend won't get help.

Watch
Anyauk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So, my best friend keeps talking about things such as suicide/self harm, she often talks about how depressed she is all the time.

I try my very best to support her and help her, I've talked to her about going to the doctors or trying online councillors but she refuses. She's very shy and socially awkward. (I also think it's partially because she's embarrassed which I've told her that it's nothing to be ashamed of)

She told her parents but apparently they more or less told her that she'll get over it (so really not very supportive.)
I am really worried about her and we are really close but I don't know what else to do to help her.

Btw we are both 16.
And I appreciate any feedback given x
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anyauk)
So, my best friend keeps talking about things such as suicide/self harm, she often talks about how depressed she is all the time.

I try my very best to support her and help her, I've talked to her about going to the doctors or trying online councillors but she refuses. She's very shy and socially awkward. (I also think it's partially because she's embarrassed which I've told her that it's nothing to be ashamed of)

She told her parents but apparently they more or less told her that she'll get over it (so really not very supportive.)
I am really worried about her and we are really close but I don't know what else to do to help her.

Btw we are both 16.
And I appreciate any feedback given x
Tell her to call Samaritans. They are really supportive and they can offer professional advice. She doesn't have to see them face-to-face, she might feel more comfortable over the phone.
Phone number: 116 123
Anyauk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volibear)
Maybe suggest she look through/call these:

https://www.mind.org.uk

https://www.studentsagainstdepression.org

https://www.childline.org.uk

https://www.papyrus-uk.org

Just remember to look after yourself too. And ultimately, if she doesn't want help, nobody can make her get it.
Thank you x
Anyauk
Rep:
?
(Original post by UWS)
Tell her to call Samaritans. They are really supportive and they can offer professional advice. She doesn't have to see them face-to-face, she might feel more comfortable over the phone.
Phone number: 116 123
Thank you x
sunandbutterfly
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am glad that you are trying to help your friend. Is there anyone such as a counselor at school that you can speak to? They may be able to facilitate a conversation with your friend's parents on the topic. (And may also be able to get your friend some help.) In addition to your friend getting help, you may consider getting support as well. Hope that helps!
Anyauk
Rep:
?
(Original post by sunandbutterfly)
I am glad that you are trying to help your friend. Is there anyone such as a counselor at school that you can speak to? They may be able to facilitate a conversation with your friend's parents on the topic. (And may also be able to get your friend some help.) In addition to your friend getting help, you may consider getting support as well. Hope that helps!
Thank you, we have left school and going to the same college in September, so school is out of the image for a while I have given her a link to specific websites that might help, as for me I'm okay I'm just worried about her x
sunandbutterfly
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anyauk)
Thank you, we have left school and going to the same college in September, so school is out of the image for a while I have given her a link to specific websites that might help, as for me I'm okay I'm just worried about her x
Hopefully you can offer to go with her to the campus wellness center. Hope you can stay healthy so that you are able to be there for her.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads