The Student Room Group

Those who have graduated Uni- How do you cope??

I graduated now and its ****ing terrible. Life is OVER. Finito. Finished. Im living at home with my parents, ZERO social life as all mates in other parts of country, no job atm despite 2:1 at good uni- and the pinnacle of my existence will now be the rat race life- wake at 6AM, work, sleep at 9/10pm, RINSE REPEAT. Im 21 and im a walking corpse, this fate is horrific and i wish i enjoyed uni even more than i did- i went out regurarly as you do but didn't have enough variety. Maybe i need a girl, but i wont be able to meet one now as zero social life, you don't go out with people you work with. NEVER LEAVE UNIVERSITY!!!! I SO WISH I CHOSE TO DO A MASTERS ALTHOUGH RATIONALLY I CANNOT AFFORD AND I HATE STUDYING. :frown: MY LIFE IS ****ED AND I AM MISERABLE

Scroll to see replies

Moving back home and being unemployed after university can seem a shock to the system, but try to remain focused and positive. What was your degree in and what kind of jobs have you been applying for? Whilst job hunting, you consider volunteering? It will give you extra experience to add to your CV, and it will get you out of the house and meeting new people.
Original post by ItsOver
I graduated now and its ****ing terrible. Life is OVER. Finito. Finished. Im living at home with my parents, ZERO social life as all mates in other parts of country, no job atm despite 2:1 at good uni- and the pinnacle of my existence will now be the rat race life- wake at 6AM, work, sleep at 9/10pm, RINSE REPEAT. Im 21 and im a walking corpse, this fate is horrific and i wish i enjoyed uni even more than i did- i went out regurarly as you do but didn't have enough variety. Maybe i need a girl, but i wont be able to meet one now as zero social life, you don't go out with people you work with. NEVER LEAVE UNIVERSITY!!!! I SO WISH I CHOSE TO DO A MASTERS ALTHOUGH RATIONALLY I CANNOT AFFORD AND I HATE STUDYING. :frown: MY LIFE IS ****ED AND I AM MISERABLE

It's going to be okay :hugs: This bit doesn't last forever.

Be methodical with your job searching so it doesn't hang over you 24/7 - what is your approach at the moment?

Have you considered trying temping for a little while? Gives you some experience until you find a permanent job.

What was your degree in? :holmes:
Reply 3
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

Be methodical with your job searching so it doesn't hang over you 24/7 - what is your approach at the moment?

Have you considered trying temping for a little while? Gives you some experience until you find a permanent job.

business :frown:!! what is temping?
Reply 4

my approach is just applying via recruiters idk the right approach
Reply 5
Original post by cheesecakelove
Moving back home and being unemployed after university can seem a shock to the system, but try to remain focused and positive. What was your degree in and what kind of jobs have you been applying for? Whilst job hunting, you consider volunteering? It will give you extra experience to add to your CV, and it will get you out of the house and meeting new people.

i need money cannot work for free!
Original post by ItsOver
business :frown:!! what is temping?

There are recruitment agencies that look for temporary workers - you'll go somewhere for a week or maybe a couple of weeks at a time. It's not much fun but it's an easier way to get your foot in the door/get work experience and some money and build out your CV as you look for full time work. Sometimes it can lead to full time employment too as you build up some contacts :smile:
Reply 7
There are recruitment agencies that look for temporary workers - you'll go somewhere for a week or maybe a couple of weeks at a time. It's not much fun but it's an easier way to get your foot in the door/get work experience and some money and build out your CV as you look for full time work. Sometimes it can lead to full time employment too as you build up some contacts :smile:

thanks for reply- what type of sites can i find these out of interest?
Original post by ItsOver
thanks for reply- what type of sites can i find these out of interest?

I would google for temping/recruitment agencies in your area as they are often local - then you can register to sign up with them. :smile:
Doesn’t the government do postgraduate loans now? You could use that to do a masters.
Jeez. Did you not think about the future at any stage of uni? I can't believe you're a graduate who doesn't know what temping is or some of the websites. What on earth were you doing? Did you go to any careers fairs? Apply for any graduate jobs? Have any summer jobs? Visit the careers service? No-one is going to help you if you don't take some initiative yourself. Decide where you want to go from here and just do it. You're not a student any more - welcome to life.
Reply 11
Original post by Duncan2012
Jeez. Did you not think about the future at any stage of uni? I can't believe you're a graduate who doesn't know what temping is or some of the websites. What on earth were you doing? Did you go to any careers fairs? Apply for any graduate jobs? Have any summer jobs? Visit the careers service? No-one is going to help you if you don't take some initiative yourself. Decide where you want to go from here and just do it. You're not a student any more - welcome to life.

no i didnt i was too busy partying, procrastinating and taking ket. Im the real winner here if i still get a good job out of it hehehe but for reals yea i did use careers/go to fairs but grad schemes don't open yet and id be very unprepared RN for the process
Reply 12
Original post by Caledonite
Doesn’t the government do postgraduate loans now? You could use that to do a masters.

considered this as an option, but couldn't afford living costs, was sick of studying tbh and only motive to do one would be living with mates/going out/uni lifestyle for another year but it wouldn't be a good/ rational long term decision. Also i doubt i could even have a fun time doing it as would be so intense so would rather earn definitely
Original post by ItsOver
no i didnt i was too busy partying, procrastinating and taking ket. Im the real winner here if i still get a good job out of it hehehe but for reals yea i did use careers/go to fairs but grad schemes don't open yet and id be very unprepared RN for the process

I can't tell whether you're a troll or an idiot.
Reply 14
I can't tell whether you're a troll or an idiot.

you missed out if you didn't take ket and get pissed constantly at uni. Very easy to get a 2:1 at a russell group with this method if not a retard. Its all about experience anyway after first job anyway. Also if you're a STEMcel i have bad news
Original post by ItsOver
you missed out if you didn't take ket and get pissed constantly at uni. Very easy to get a 2:1 at a russell group with this method if not a retard. Its all about experience anyway after first job anyway. Also if you're a STEMcel i have bad news

And now I've got my answer.
I hear you!

This was one of the hardest transition and you are not alone but stick with it my friend it will get better you will find friends and you will get a girlfriend and then you will be back on here stating you have no time 😊
Catch 22 but take this period as the calm before the storm, set yourself some goals, places you wanna visit etc, and then when you get your job your feel good that you have plans to work towards 😊
Reply 17
Original post by CLM25
I hear you!

This was one of the hardest transition and you are not alone but stick with it my friend it will get better you will find friends and you will get a girlfriend and then you will be back on here stating you have no time 😊
Catch 22 but take this period as the calm before the storm, set yourself some goals, places you wanna visit etc, and then when you get your job your feel good that you have plans to work towards 😊

hopefully i just have no idea if people even make new friends properly after un at jobs lol
Reply 18
And now I've got my answer.

listen duncan egg. My knob has been severed by a surgeon due to an operational malfunction i dont need your malice
Original post by ItsOver
hopefully i just have no idea if people even make new friends properly after un at jobs lol

It’s not easy, I won’t lie.
And it’s hard because your social life promotes the healthiest friendships rather than work etc.

Try not to avoid any invitations such as parties and weddings etc, go out on work nights once you’ve got your job.
Making friends isn’t as easy as when you were in primary school but catch up with old friends, make an effort to like and comment on their pictures (not all of them from like 2 years ago) but recent ones.. they could spark conversations and meeting up etc 😊

Quick Reply

Latest