If your parents/grandparents never existed, would you have been born anyway ?

Watch
Nalk1573
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A friend of mine was looking at old photogprahs of his family and said,
"thankfully they existed or I would not have been born".

But this isn't true.

He would have been born anyway, someone else would have given him life. He was destined to be born regardless of who it was that created him.

Is he right or am I right ?
GCSE pupil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think he is right but it is subjective
Hirsty97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
no your genetic material would be different and you wouldn't exist as you exist now
IQuitTSR
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Uh lol no

If my parents never met, I'd not be born and even if I was, it wouldn't actually be me because it would be a different person (with different genetics and maybe even different genders and different personalities).

If my parents have never met, i would have never been destined to have been born.
Nalk1573
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheTroll73)
Uh lol no

If my parents never met, I'd not be born and even if I was, it wouldn't actually be me because it would be a different person (with different genetics and maybe even different genders and different personalities).

If my parents have never met, i would have never been destined to have been born.
it would be you

You would have ended up the same as you are now, different city, maybe different hair cut, different clothes, it wouldn't matter. You were meant to be born
IQuitTSR
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nalk1573)
it would be you

You would have ended up the same as you are now, different city, maybe different hair cut, different clothes, it wouldn't matter. You were meant to be born
I guess this fits with the alternate universe scheme of things

The question is, are there any alternate universes?
OBAFGKM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Social influences and genetic influences would be different rendering you a completely different person

Can you define what would make a person the same person if their genes, personality, appearance, and lifestyle was different 🤔 what is it that would then make them them and not just another number? (I like the question btw)
Nalk1573
Rep:
?
(Original post by OBAFGKM)
Social influences and genetic influences would be different rendering you a completely different person

Can you define what would make a person the same person if their genes, personality, appearance, and lifestyle was different 🤔 what is it that would then make them them and not just another number? (I like the question btw)
did we choose to go back into human form whilst in the spirit world ?

and if so, why ?

https://www.edgarcayce.org/about-us/...g-our-parents/
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

But this isn't true.

He would have been born anyway, someone else would have given him life. He was destined to be born regardless of who it was that created him.

From what we can actually observe, your friend is right.

There is no scientific evidence to support what you are saying.
Ratchet Hoe
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There are like millions of sperms soooo like... you had to win the race for life. 😘
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OP you could only really be right if you managed to prove the existence of the soul and create a successful theory for how the soul is created and/or how a physical body is made for it, as well as what happens to it whilst it's body-less.

Big ask to be honest mate. I'd say it's easier to go with biology and agree with your friend for the moment.
louieee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You are definitely right. He'd have been birthed from other parents, keeping the same DNA he has now anyway. Potentially birthed whitely from those with dark skin, probably speaking English straight from the old womb. Bless our Gods and bless our stone-written spirits
ShyPhilosopher
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

But this isn't true.

It depends upon how you define what makes a person. I am assuming you believe a person is defined by a certain soul. Others would argue that a person is a combination of the genetics passed from each parent, combined with the sum of all the experiences they have lived through. Small fluctuations in childhood, such as closest friend at primary school, can hugely influence the personality. I would agree with your friend, as by the definition I use he would not exist.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads