Turn on thread page Beta

Black Box Top Up Miles watch

ReputationRep:
    Im running out of my 6k mile limit.

Its not worth buying another 1k extra as ill only need another 300 extra....

So I was wondering, can I buy less than 1k miles??... my insurance company is smart wheels. 500 miles seems like a good amount

ReputationRep:
    If you need 300, then you need at least 600. It's your estimations that left you short in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Nah my estimations were correct, but I started doing deliveries which I currently do, this made me go over my estimations
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 1Hunnid)
    Nah my estimations were correct, but I started doing deliveries which I currently do, this made me go over my estimations
    Do you have business class insurance to cover that...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    Do you have business class insurance to cover that...?
    Yeah... can I buy less than 1k top up miles? Or can you only buy set amounts?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Why don't you just ask your insurer?

ReputationRep:
    So you had normal insurance, and then took out business insurance and didn't think to also increase your mileage at that time, or you took out business insurance at 6000 miles, in which case, your estimations were not good or something doesn't add up lol.

Ask your insurer, no-one here can tell you what your insurer will offer you, if you go onto your dash and the minimum amount you can order is 1000, then that is what is on offer.

IWMTom TIL you can get telematics with business insurance btw.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by nevershear)
    IWMTom TIL you can get telematics with business insurance btw.
    It's news to me, that's for sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Why don't you just ask your insurer?
    Quicker doing it on here, as I gotta top up first and then wait on the line which takes the P

ReputationRep:
    Quicker doing it on here, as I gotta top up first and then wait on the line which takes the P
    It's not quicker, because we're not underwriters and can't see your policy information.

ReputationRep:
    Thought someone may have experience, to see if I can buy less than 1k miles add on

ReputationRep:
    Thought someone may have experience, to see if I can buy less than 1k miles add on
    They might, I know Tescos takes requests - however those requests, like with any other insurer are dependent on individual circumstances. To give an example I have an 8000 mile normal policy, but after a trip Italy, one to the Netherlands and two to France, I'm already at 7000/8000 with 6 months to go, irrespective of the moral high ground of telling the truth, I have a new car, it's going to be pretty obvious that if I crash it and they see 9500 miles or whatever on the clock when they assess it; it's pretty obvious I did all those miles myself, so I asked for an adjustment to 12000, however because of my criteria, they would only be willing to offer me 10k (which I took). The same will apply to you, you can ask them for 500, but because of the circumstances of the policy you took out, they might punch some numbers into a computer and tell you "well actually we can only offer you 150 at x amount". Or they could just outright decline, but accept that same request from someone else. Given how the way these companies make their money is from addons hoping that their customers screw up or misrepresent/underestimate - the likelihood is going to be they will say no - remember the reason they offer these policies at a low price is because the stringent restrictions are attractive to underwriting criteria (one of them especially being low mileage). Why offer you a low amount of miles when they can trap you into buying a higher amount which you will almost definitely consider because the alternative is to not drive or drive uninsured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    It's news to me, that's for sure!
    Think MoreThan Smartwheels is one of the only ones which offer it.

ReputationRep:
    Called em up and their systems are down ffs.

But I found out you can buy less than 1k top up miles.

Goes from 250, 500, 750, then 1000

ReputationRep:
    If i wanted to change my morethan smartwheels policy from just social to social and communting, would i be able to call them up and change it? Also will it cost more as i looked at quotes and the same company actually quoted me cheaper than what i pay now for just social?

ReputationRep:
    You probably can change it, but they may increase the insurance a tiny bit, as they love money

ReputationRep:
    Even after i tell them that i’ve been quoted a low price? I could even give the reference number for the quotes?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It may/may not be lower... only way to find out is to call em up... it shouldnt change much tbh

ReputationRep:
    Yeah true.
    Is driving to university considered commuting?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 6, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.