The Student Room Group

I witnessed a crime now what?

Tonight I witnessed an attack where I rang 999. The police are coming to my house tomorrow for a statement because I saw the whole thing.

What will I have to or might have to do?

Will I tell the police what I saw then that’s it? Or will I have to go to court or something? Will I have to do a identity parade or something ?
How severe was the attack?
I’m not a law student, so i wouldn’t know tbh. I suggest you use the internet to find this one out, look up your rights or smthing
Reply 3
Original post by Rbaby
How severe was the attack?

I don’t want to say too much in case I get into trouble but the police said the victim was critical
Reply 4
They will ask you what you saw. The other day they might ask you to come to police station to identify the suspects. I'm not sure about circumstances but they might ask you to attend court.

on the meeting tomorrow they might ask you general questions like where were you at certain time, where were you coming back from, details about the whole incident etc.
What was the nature of the crime?
Reply 6
Original post by Little Popcorns
What was the nature of the crime?

I don’t want to get in trouble but briefly the victim was punched and he was unconscious. Today, around 16 hours after it happened, I was told he is still in hospital. I have no idea how severe his injuries are. That’s all I know really
Tomorrow when the police come and ask you what you saw then they will most likely give you there information card and tell you what to expect next.
They will ask you for details, what you saw, where were standing, what you were doing, time of incident, if you can describe the victim as well as the attacker, who else may have witnessed the attack, if you know either party etc. They will write up what you told them, ask you to read it and then sign of you agree with their summary.

They will then explain what will happen next.

Do not worry, it is all procedural even if it feels daunting. They will answer any questions you may have as far as the law permits, so do not be afraid to ask.

You will be fine. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I don’t want to get in trouble but briefly the victim was punched and he was unconscious. Today, around 16 hours after it happened, I was told he is still in hospital. I have no idea how severe his injuries are. That’s all I know really

Don’t worry just do what you have to do
Reply 10
was it you who did it?
Original post by uberteknik
They will ask you for details, what you saw, where were standing, what you were doing, time of incident, if you can describe the victim as well as the attacker, who else may have witnessed the attack, if you know either party etc. They will write up what you told them, ask you to read it and then sign of you agree with their summary.

They will then explain what will happen next.

Do not worry, it is all procedural even if it feels daunting. They will answer any questions you may have as far as the law permits, so do not be afraid to ask.

You will be fine. :smile:

I’m just really worried that I will say the wrong things. It all happened so fast and when I look back there is loads of gaps in my memory where I can’t remember what order things happened. I told the 999 operator absolutely everything as it was happening but now my memory of the situation is blurry and I’ve started to doubt things. For example I told the 999 operator the attacker was wearing a vest/tank top but now I’ve started to doubt myself and question whether it might have been a t shirt. It’s been 2 days now and the police haven’t contacted me for a statement so half of me is thinking that they dontneed a statement and they wont contact me but half of me is worried that if they do want a statement my recollection of the incident will be blurry and wrong. What do you think?
Original post by Razz13
was it you who did it?

Oh dear, you got me! No it certainly wasn’t me. I just witnessed it and rang an ambulance
Original post by Razz13
was it you who did it?

Dude come on :colonhash: it's not because someone witnessed the crime that he/she is the criminal.

Besides, the OP has no much good to lie about his case on TSR as he's get the wrong advice.
Original post by Anonymous
Tonight I witnessed an attack where I rang 999. The police are coming to my house tomorrow for a statement because I saw the whole thing.

What will I have to or might have to do?

Will I tell the police what I saw then that’s it? Or will I have to go to court or something? Will I have to do a identity parade or something ?

I was a witness to a (fairly minor) crime and I had to give a statement to the police and then appear in court. It was pretty boring tbh, just sat around the courthouse with my dad all day then got told the trial was being rescheduled as they didn't have time. My dad was annoyed as he'd taken the day off work but I'd got the day off school so I didn't care. The new trial date was in half term so I was disappointed I didn't get to miss another day of school but I went with my mom this time, sat around the court for most of the day again then gave my statement. Was kinda interesting to see how the whole process worked but mostly it was just sitting around trying not to get too bored!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending