vk0109
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey everyone!Can anyone suggest some good books for haematology,cell biology and for biochemistry??
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

These are books I use to study as subjects that are elements of medicine (the cell biology one I use is only for quenching my thirst for knowledge) - it does depend on what course you are doing, therefore both the level of detail required as well as the emphasis on basic sciences or clinical features?

Haematology: Essential Haematology by Hoffbrand + Moss - quite detailed [400+ pp] - very well presented and with very good quality pics - more than sufficient for UG medicine - if it is a subject of special interest for you, there is a comprehensive version by same author [1000 pp +] - to take an example, there are four pages on the structure and function of Hb, including biochemistry of 2,3 - DPG metabolism and a v good diagram of structure of erythrocyte cell membrane (cf. the biochemistry book below has 16 pages on Hb, but of course with a different emphasis [this includes short sections on anaemia, sickle cell disease, etc which have many pages in the haematology book.]) Wiley have a very user-friendly web version [of course only comes c a new book.

Cell Biology: by Pollard + Earnshaw - very comprehensive, perhaps too detailed for my purposes [but still love it being Sheldon ] - goes into details of snRNA [and other minor RNAs], complex info on transcription factors and their mode of function, and e.g. a myriad of lytic enzymes in the lysosome, etc.

Biochemistry: Fundamentals of Biochemistry by Voet + Voet + Pratt:- [1000pp +] - very good perhaps even for a degree in biochem - e.g. detailed description of elucidation of the a.a. sequences of proteins, the hexose monophosphate shunt, gluconeogenesis, structure of HEW lysozyme and several other proteins, etc. - detailed but concise description easy to assimilate - if you need more detail e.g. for a biochemistry degree [despite my comment above!], there is a 1500 pp version by Voet + Voet. I bought a new copy of an older edition [of the smaller book] to save money [actually got a bargain price], but there is a problem with the digital/web version, so I have sent an email to resolve this.

Good luck!

M
vk0109
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by macpatgh-Sheldon)
Hi,

These are books I use to study as subjects that are elements of medicine (the cell biology one I use is only for quenching my thirst for knowledge) - it does depend on what course you are doing, therefore both the level of detail required as well as the emphasis on basic sciences or clinical features?

Haematology: Essential Haematology by Hoffbrand + Moss - quite detailed [400+ pp] - very well presented and with very good quality pics - more than sufficient for UG medicine - if it is a subject of special interest for you, there is a comprehensive version by same author [1000 pp +] - to take an example, there are four pages on the structure and function of Hb, including biochemistry of 2,3 - DPG metabolism and a v good diagram of structure of erythrocyte cell membrane (cf. the biochemistry book below has 16 pages on Hb, but of course with a different emphasis [this includes short sections on anaemia, sickle cell disease, etc which have many pages in the haematology book.]) Wiley have a very user-friendly web version [of course only comes c a new book.

Cell Biology: by Pollard + Earnshaw - very comprehensive, perhaps too detailed for my purposes [but still love it being Sheldon ] - goes into details of snRNA [and other minor RNAs], complex info on transcription factors and their mode of function, and e.g. a myriad of lytic enzymes in the lysosome, etc.

Biochemistry: Fundamentals of Biochemistry by Voet + Voet + Pratt:- [1000pp +] - very good perhaps even for a degree in biochem - e.g. detailed description of elucidation of the a.a. sequences of proteins, the hexose monophosphate shunt, gluconeogenesis, structure of HEW lysozyme and several other proteins, etc. - detailed but concise description easy to assimilate - if you need more detail e.g. for a biochemistry degree [despite my comment above!], there is a 1500 pp version by Voet + Voet. I bought a new copy of an older edition [of the smaller book] to save money [actually got a bargain price], but there is a problem with the digital/web version, so I have sent an email to resolve this.

Good luck!

M

Hi.Thank you so much for your reply.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.43%
England (143)
34.71%
Belgium (32)
7.77%
Germany (41)
9.95%
Spain (10)
2.43%