Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Last edited by imnotacat; 5 months ago
Volkerbund1933
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by imnotacat)
I know it's a bit long but this is LIFE CHANGING for me, so even if you have to skim through it, please do dive in.

Hello! How's everyone's summer going? Too hot for too long in my humble opinion.
Anyway, thought I'd start a little discussion here, so here goes... Basically, I'm 17 years old and I have just finished my first year at college (AS levels). There are certain aspects of college life which I do like and others which I don't but overall it's ok.

But, the thing is, when I was in secondary (comprehensive) school I ADORED every SINGLE aspect of school life. I was sooooo incredibly happy there - I loved the location, the facilities, the staff, the warm community feel and just about EVERYTHING else. I lived for the place. Over the five years I spent there as a pupil I grew a superbly strong bond with the school and the staff there.
So, as you might imagine, I was incredibly upset and disheartened when I had to leave there last year. On the day of my last exam I genuinely remember not being able to eat anything as I felt physically sick. My whole world had been turned upside down. I was so disheartened for many weeks, including episodes of crying and dispairing sadness.

I have to admit things did get a little bit easier as far as my emotions were concerned after starting college, but I emphasise little, as even now, a year on, I think about the school every day and still have some tough times (ocassional crying still).
It really is difficult to put in words just how much I loved my secondary school and how torn apart I was when I had to leave.

As far as careers go, I have always wanted to be a teacher (secondary). I am really quite passionate about education and I have thought about other jobs but teaching really is the one for me. Once I leave college I therefore want to go to uni and get a bachelor's degree. I then want to do a PGCE to train to teach.

Here's the heart of this thread (thanks for reading this far!) ...it's my absolute, unquestionable, all-time DREAM, it might not surprise you, combining these two things that I return to my previous school to teach there. I would be in a job which would make me elated for the rest of my life, I have NO doubts! I have been thinking about it for a while (my emotions are worse in the summer hols so, sad I know, but I mean like hours a day here) but I'd love to hear some other people's points of view/thoughts/etc. As a matter of fact, I have wanted to do it for a while, but the thing which really motivated me to create an account on this forum was so I could post this thread.

I know that several of the teachers I knew had actually started as pupils there themselves which shows it can be done, but is this really more a matter of luck or being 'in the right place at the right time'? Do you think it would be feasible for me to do it myself, having this intention at a young age? Here's how I see it.
- I must finish college to get A-levels to go to uni (this is going to take me 1 more year from now).
- I will go to uni to get a bachelor's degree (a BSc, hopefully), which takes 3 years studying full-time at the uni I want to go to.
- I will do a PGCE (teacher training) which will take a year, and then finish as an NQT (newly qualified teacher).
- And then I think I will (most likely) have to play something of a 'waiting game' so to speak. I will (hopefully) get a teaching job at some school reasonably locally. I think I will then need to actively and frequently be on the look out for any suitable vacancies which arise in the school I want to teach at (my old school). Here I would love to hear if anyone could suggest some potential logistics. I understand it's impossible to predict these kinds of things but how long reallistically do you think I could expect to wait before something comes up? I am hoping to teach a STEM subject. I know that 3 big roles came up over the 5 years I was there, which is just under about 1 big role every 2 years, although I'm not usre if this is normal or if I was in a busy period. The school is located in a town btw. I am also so worried asking myself what if something never comes up.
- Once a vacancy is there, I will need to apply and (hopefully) get interviewed (the headteacher there was an inspirational teacher of mine as well as a best friend, we are as thick as thieves!) and I also did lots while I was there for the school itself which I am hoping may work in my favour to at least some extent. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I didn't get the job, but if this was the case, I'd have to continue teaching somewhere else and wait for another vacancy, and then apply for that, (repeat however many times necessary!).

So assuming I got the job first time, from now, it will take 5 + (however long I have to wait before a vacancy) = time before my dream comes true

but the (however long I have to wait before a vacancy) is a variable I have no clue of the value of.

Soooo, what are your thoughts overall or thoughts on any of these questions I'm posing? Do you have any other thoughts? I'd appreciate it INVALUABLY to hear them! The people I have to talk to about this is extremely limited which is again a big reason why I'm posting this here - but of those, here are some of the things they've said:

Positives
- I am "making it happen" so surely it is inevitable one day. It's not as if I'm going for CEO of Apple.
- The encouragement to "follow your dreams" and that nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it.
- Some have suggested that it is human nature to try to put obstacles in the way because you want something so badly. That is, instead of focussing on achieving it, I focus on why it couldn't/shouldn't/won't happen.

Negatives
- The process is lengthy. Both the school and staff will change dramatically. (I have to add in here, I'm not sure how much I agree, do you think that the staff will change that much over the course of say 5-10 yrs?, I know they didn't change much over the 5yrs I spent there as a pupil)
- There is always competition. With all things considered - the interview, being judged by school governors, etc. you have to have luck on your side to actually get the job, should one come up.
- If I was unlucky, it could take many years (if at all) before a vacancy did come up in what I want to teach.

I can see where all these points are coming from. The thing that tears me apart is the whole element of luck which seems to be associated with it all. Again, I must ask, do you think it is plausible that, really wanting to, I can make this a surefire thing for myself (or highly unlikely)? Or do you think I have my head in the clouds and the probabilities are severely against me?

I just want it more than anything else. Anything.
And I think that's about it. If you have read this far then thank you so much and it would mean the WORLD to me if you could offer any feedback, or advice, or opinions, or answers to questions...anything!
Thank you so, so much in advance.
What a long, yet nice insight.

This is something you want to look to and I say go for it. Sure there might be competition, but since you know the place it would seem you'd be a preferred candidate. Futhermore, the bursaries they pay for education would make uni education easier. If you ask teachers, they might provide advice to your venture.

This is a job dream for you, and I hope you can make it real in the futute
imnotacat
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
(Original post by Volkerbund1933)
What a long, yet nice insight.

This is something you want to look to and I say go for it. Sure there might be competition, but since you know the place it would seem you'd be a preferred candidate. Futhermore, the bursaries they pay for education would make uni education easier. If you ask teachers, they might provide advice to your venture.

This is a job dream for you, and I hope you can make it real in the futute
Thank you so much for your encouraging insight, it certainely brightened up my day!
I hope I can make it real in the future.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
I also really dreamed of becoming a teacher at my old secondary school, and I did have a few people try to talk me out of it. It's so great seeing another person feeling so passionate towards becoming a teacher as there aren't many people my age wanting to become a teacher (I'm 18 and just left school). I have felt really upset since my last day, and have also shed some tears! I have a real connection to the school and have met some inspirational teachers there that have shaped me as a person. I just really want to go back lol!

My plan at the moment though, is not to go straight into teaching after university, but to get a job related to the subject I want to teach for a few years before becoming a teacher. This is just so I can get some more experience in the subject, so I can give more to my students (that sounds so cool to say! ^_^) when I become a teacher. Also, if for some reason I change my mind about becoming a teacher, I'd just continue with this job.

Remember that your career plan is likely to change by some amount during your university life, so try to keep your options open. However it is good to have a plan, like you do now. So just continue following your dreams for now!
imnotacat
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I also really dreamed of becoming a teacher at my old secondary school, and I did have a few people try to talk me out of it. It's so great seeing another person feeling so passionate towards becoming a teacher as there aren't many people my age wanting to become a teacher (I'm 18 and just left school). I have felt really upset since my last day, and have also shed some tears! I have a real connection to the school and have met some inspirational teachers there that have shaped me as a person. I just really want to go back lol!

My plan at the moment though, is not to go straight into teaching after university, but to get a job related to the subject I want to teach for a few years before becoming a teacher. This is just so I can get some more experience in the subject, so I can give more to my students (that sounds so cool to say! ^_^) when I become a teacher. Also, if for some reason I change my mind about becoming a teacher, I'd just continue with this job.

Remember that your career plan is likely to change by some amount during your university life, so try to keep your options open. However it is good to have a plan, like you do now. So just continue following your dreams for now!
Thank you very much for your feedback (and for reading the really long post lol). I can't tell you how nice it is just to have someone else understand how I feel.

Yes, it does seem as though there aren't that many which are interested in teaching as a career any more, although, if anything, this will be a positive for us if you decide to eventually teach, as there could be less competition when applying for roles.

I completely see where you're coming from and I think your decision to work elsewhere initially is a wise one, and I'm open to the idea that I may change my mind over time, but I must say that at that the moment I want to teach as soon as I can because, as I said in the post, it is the only job for me.

For me, it extends beyond teaching, I just really want to get back to my old school and I really just want to know if it could happen one day.

Once again, thanks for your encouragement. I hope things work out well for your future self too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (111)
17.62%
It's just nice to be back! (172)
27.3%
Not great so far... (225)
35.71%
I want to drop out! (122)
19.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed