The Student Room Group

Applying for Law, universities and LNAT AMA

As the thread suggests feel free to ask my advice about applying to university for Law. I get quite a few messages about this so thought I'd make a thread and see if I get any responses/questions that way it can help future students too. I applied this year and received offers from UCL, Kings, Warwick and Birmingham.
I will hopefully be attending Birmingham.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, What advice would you have for practicing for the LNAT multiple choice? How would you go about structuring the essay part of it?
Reply 3
Original post by Dobby's Phoenix
Hey, What advice would you have for practicing for the LNAT multiple choice? How would you go about structuring the essay part of it?

Hi!

I would say just do as many practice tests as possible! Have you bought any books or resources? I can recommend some if you like. With regards to the essay, pick a side and then make 4 main points. For each point write a counter argument and then reject your counter argument. Build and break basically.

I could send you a long message explaining what I did to prep for the LNAT if you like?

Any other help let me know!
Original post by new1234
Hi!

I would say just do as many practice tests as possible! Have you bought any books or resources? I can recommend some if you like. With regards to the essay, pick a side and then make 4 main points. For each point write a counter argument and then reject your counter argument. Build and break basically.

I could send you a long message explaining what I did to prep for the LNAT if you like?

Any other help let me know!

I haven't bought anything yet as I didn't know what would be useful, so if you wouldn't mind recommending some books etc that would be great.
Thank you that makes sense for the essay, it hopefully should just write itself by the time I get there! Please do send me that message, I'd love to get an insight of much I should do because it's quite hard to judge really. Thanks for your help and well done for getting amazing offers.
Reply 5
I haven't bought anything yet as I didn't know what would be useful, so if you wouldn't mind recommending some books etc that would be great.
Thank you that makes sense for the essay, it hopefully should just write itself by the time I get there! Please do send me that message, I'd love to get an insight of much I should do because it's quite hard to judge really. Thanks for your help and well done for getting amazing offers.

For future reference I'll recommend a book here - Mark Shephards Mastering the LNAT - but I will send you the long message with more recommendations and other advice!

Thank you and your welcome! Happy to help.
Reply 6
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Bump
Reply 8
Hi,

What were your GCSE’s and predicted grades/subjects?
Reply 9
Original post by Sergioo
Hi,

What were your GCSE’s and predicted grades/subjects?

Hi!
My GCSE’s were 4a*s and 8a’s. And my predicted grades in a level are a*aa
Original post by new1234
Hi!
My GCSE’s were 4a*s and 8a’s. And my predicted grades in a level are a*aa

Did u think with 8 A’s at GCSE and A*A*A* Predicted can get me into LSE/UCL in your opinion?
Reply 11
Original post by Sergioo
Did u think with 8 A’s at GCSE and A*A*A* Predicted can get me into LSE/UCL in your opinion?

UCL - yeah I think so
LSE- no idea but they are quite competitive so you would need high lnat scores etc...

Have you done many eca’s/wider reading?
Reply 12
Original post by new1234
For future reference I'll recommend a book here - Mark Shephards Mastering the LNAT - but I will send you the long message with more recommendations and other advice!

Thank you and your welcome! Happy to help.

My only word of warning with this book - the tests are very easy, much easier I would say than the real thing. There were a fair few threads on TSR this year by students who were in shock that they scored so low on the LNAT compared to their scores in this book, and other practise tests for that matter. I would recommend a wide-range of reading/tests to get a good feel for it.

The other advice given, I wholeheartedly agree with.

Best of luck!

(If you want any LSE-specific advice, you are more than welcome to message me. I have firmed them for Law this year :smile:)
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
bump
Original post by new1234
As the thread suggests feel free to ask my advice about applying to university for Law. I get quite a few messages about this so thought I'd make a thread and see if I get any responses/questions that way it can help future students too. I applied this year and received offers from UCL, Kings, Warwick and Birmingham.

What A-levels did you do?

What were your offers from UCL and Kings??

What did you get in your LNAT?
Reply 15
Original post by Mark jam
What A-levels did you do?

What were your offers from UCL and Kings??

What did you get in your LNAT?

My offers were A*AA and I got 21 in the lnat
Reply 16
Bump
Reply 17
I’m so sorry I didn’t see this question! I got rejected from Cambridge after interview because I didn’t perform well in the interview
Reply 18
Which university are you studying at?
I think you missed one of my questions, what A-levels did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest