Moving to England and taking my IGCSE

Watch
paigemitchley
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi there! I'm immigrating to Surrey in September/October from South Africa. I am currently in the middle of my grade 11 year (I'm 17) and have dropped out of school to do my IGCSEs online.
I am currently doing Edexcel mathematics A (higher grade) and plan to write in January 2019. I just have a few questions regarding mathematics as well as other IGCSE qualifications.

What is the difference between CIE and Edexcel?

Is Travel & Tourism a worthwhile course to take?

Apparently, you can only write Geography and Business in May/June under Edexcel, if I study with an Edexcel textbook, could I possibly use a different examination board and write earlier?

Thanks in advance!
Psychdog
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
1. CIE and Edexcel are both different in what some people say in terms of “difficulty”. CIE is thought to be more rigorous and hard with its syllabus whilst Edexcel is a bit more lenient with its content. However i have heard that CIE is more recognizable around the world more because CIE is managed by Cambridge and only has “international” examinations whilst Edexcel has both local GCSE’s and International GCSE’s (IGCSE)

2. I did not take Travel and Tourism but however i do have friends that took CIE IGCSE for that subject. From what I’ve heard, they said it is fairly easy but very boring. If you think you need it in your future you may consider taking it. You can try to look through the syllabus and past papers to see what kind of content it has.

3. That could be possible however i strongly recommend you do not to do that. Even with similar content and with the same subject there may be crucial differences. For instance the syllabus of Edexcel is NOT the exact same as the syllabus for CIE. The question structures and papers would also be different as well the content. Same goes for AQA or WJEC or OCR they’re all different.
paigemitchley
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Psychdog)
1. CIE and Edexcel are both different in what some people say in terms of “difficulty”. CIE is thought to be more rigorous and hard with its syllabus whilst Edexcel is a bit more lenient with its content. However i have heard that CIE is more recognizable around the world more because CIE is managed by Cambridge and only has “international” examinations whilst Edexcel has both local GCSE’s and International GCSE’s (IGCSE)

2. I did not take Travel and Tourism but however i do have friends that took CIE IGCSE for that subject. From what I’ve heard, they said it is fairly easy but very boring. If you think you need it in your future you may consider taking it. You can try to look through the syllabus and past papers to see what kind of content it has.

3. That could be possible however i strongly recommend you do not to do that. Even with similar content and with the same subject there may be crucial differences. For instance the syllabus of Edexcel is NOT the exact same as the syllabus for CIE. The question structures and papers would also be different as well the content. Same goes for AQA or WJEC or OCR they’re all different.
Thank you!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In England most qualifications can only be taken in May/June so your choice of taking stuff earlier is limited. CIE do offer an October/November sitting but it's hard to find a UK centre that will accept entries so I'd stick with January (entry deadline at the exam board 21 October but the centre will need your details earlier) and the Summer (entry deadline 21 February, ditto).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.18%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.67%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.96%
I need help with my personal statement (57)
40.43%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.13%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise