The Student Room Group

Any marxists texts to study for A level coursework?

Hi, does anyone have an suggestion of novels I could study for my AQA A level coursework through the lense of Marxism.

Thank you xxx

Scroll to see replies

Just do Animal Farm and deliberately interpret it wrong.
Reply 2
Original post by TheTree0fDeath
Just do Animal Farm and deliberately interpret it wrong.

Thank you,
I was going to read Animal Farm but my teacher said that Marxism was too obvious in it so it wasn't a good choice. I was thinking of something like Rebecca but idk because I haven't read it yet.
Original post by Ella2001
Thank you,
I was going to read Animal Farm but my teacher said that Marxism was too obvious in it so it wasn't a good choice. I was thinking of something like Rebecca but idk because I haven't read it yet.

Rebecca would definitely be not obvious, I didn’t even realise there was any Marxism in it!
Reply 4
Original post by TheTree0fDeath
Rebecca would definitely be not obvious, I didn’t even realise there was any Marxism in it!

I haven't read it yh, so i'm going to read it over summer and see if I like it x
hi im in a similar situation i dont know what text to do for my course work
Jane eyre? Class is quite a big theme in that.
Hard Times - Factory owners, unions, workers trapped in poverty etc
Silas Marner - issues of class and employment
If you want to use Orwell, 'Down and Out In Paris and London is a good read. It's an autobiographical account of living in poverty in the two cities.
'The Time Machine' - Gives a dystopian view of workers and the class system in the future
Reply 8
Original post by Lit teacher
Hard Times - Factory owners, unions, workers trapped in poverty etc
Silas Marner - issues of class and employment
If you want to use Orwell, 'Down and Out In Paris and London is a good read. It's an autobiographical account of living in poverty in the two cities.
'The Time Machine' - Gives a dystopian view of workers and the class system in the future

Thank You, I will definitely research these books
Reply 9
Original post by GoodGirlFaith
Jane eyre? Class is quite a big theme in that.

Thank youuu
Reply 10
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
hi im in a similar situation i dont know what text to do for my course work

What literary theory are you planning on writing about as I may have some suggestions
im not too sure i was thinking either marxist or eco theory
my teacher recomended me mary shelly as i was looking at Frankenstein but i want to do a different one so i saw another novel called The last man
my teacher also receomended the power, the book theif
and books by margret atwood not sure though
Reply 13
im not too sure i was thinking either marxist or eco theory

For marxism a very obvious one is 1084. A less obvious would be Rebecca, A thousand splendid suns (this is quite good I've read it), The kite runner (but I'm not sure if you're allowed as it may be part of your spec, Animal farm, All quiet on the Western front (but I found the synopsis quite boring idk).
Hope this helps x
For marxism a very obvious one is 1084. A less obvious would be Rebecca, A thousand splendid suns (this is quite good I've read it), The kite runner (but I'm not sure if you're allowed as it may be part of your spec, Animal farm, All quiet on the Western front (but I found the synopsis quite boring idk).
Hope this helps x

oh thank you very much i will have a look at these x
Iain Bank's Culture novels?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Iain Bank's Culture novels?

which one of his would you recommend
Reply 17
my teacher recomended me mary shelly as i was looking at Frankenstein but i want to do a different one so i saw another novel called The last man
my teacher also receomended the power, the book theif
and books by margret atwood not sure though

Thank youuu, and is this for marxism?
Thank youuu, and is this for marxism?

yes im sure u can apply Marxism to them
i think i might stick with either Frankenstein or NW by Zadie smith my other teacher recommended to me
Reply 19
yes im sure u can apply Marxism to them
i think i might stick with either Frankenstein or NW by Zadie smith my other teacher recommended to me

Ok, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending