The university decided not to take my special circumstances into consideration

Watch
Castro
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I had two modules which I failed the exams in summer 2017 but asked the OU to resit in summer 2018 instead of September 2017.

So I failed in June 2017 and took my resit in June 2018.

I have been going to severe depression and I submitted special circumstances with a doctors note and an explanation with 3 paragraphs of how my depression and mental health issues have been affecting me.

On the doctors note it says 'mental health problems'.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/assessment/ug/p2_11.asp it does say they will only take into consideration if the result is 'borderline'. I achieved 25% in the exam.

For one on the exams it says: fail: no resit/no resubmission and it goes special circumstances were presented to the module result panel.

And then it goes underneath "unfortunately the module result panel were unable to award you a pass module result on this occasion etc".

For the other module/exam it does overall module result: pending.

So what happens now? I don't think anything can be done. There is resits in September.

I was hoping they would look at my depression and offer me a resit in September.
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's strange they awarded the other module pending.

I don't understand why they haven't given you special circumstances even with a doctors note.
super_hannah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think this is ridiculous and you definitely should question this and push for them to reconsider. I get special consideration at uni too & they let me redo first year due to illness so how on earth they're not letting you resit two modules is beyond me! Hope it gets sorted for you
Castro
Rep:
?
On the doctor's note it said 'mental health problems'.

I gave them an explanation too and also on the other module it the results states: pending.

Can't believe they won't allow me to resit in September. Although this was a resit.
Castro
Rep:
?
I find it funny the other exam result is 'pending'. Really what do I have to do to get a resit in September?

I've had a prolonged illness which has genuinely affected my studies and there is professional evidence by a doctor's note.
Analyst89
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just send an email asking why they have reached that decision and give further supporting evidence.
Castro
Rep:
?
Thanks I will do so.

Anyone else had similar issues?
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Castro)
Thanks I will do so.

Anyone else had similar issues?
Did you write a covering letter?
Castro
Rep:
?
I did not write a covering letter.

I written in paragraphs without the sir/madam bit and yours sincerely.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tiger Rag could you help ?
Sounds ridiculous OP, you have a proper reason and that should be taken into account
Castro
Rep:
?
Maybe their policy is to award a resit for people who get 30-39% instead of 25%. Or pass students with special/mitigating circumstances if they fail in the 30-39% range.

They may have ignored my depression which did severely disrupt my studies.
Analyst89
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hope you get this sorted out. Push for this and get them to reconsider.

It also baffles me the other result is pending.

You do have a proper reason.
Castro
Rep:
?
I do have a proper reason and further proof too.

Perhaps they rejected the special circumstance because I written in the explanation 'depression and mental health issues'.

And also they rejected it because they feel I don't have the academic ability.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you state how your depression affected your studies? You can't get special consideration just because you have depression. You have to demonstrate how it has affected your ability to study / do your exam(s).
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Special circumstances aren't a free pass, they only mitigate a certain amount of performance reduction. The panel presumably thought that in the circumstances they were given, there was no reasonable prospect of you passing with a further resit. Sometimes there's a point where you have to stop scraping through and focus on improving your mental health, before using up all opportunities and ending up in an even worse situation, with all funding spent etc.
Castro
Rep:
?
Thanks for the comments.

I did explain how my depression affected me and explained very well. My mental health is getting better. In that time I had severe depression.
Castro
Rep:
?
Similar situation: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3718493

It did affect my studies and I should've been allowed to resit.

I can provide further evidence.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To play devils advocate, any evidence you had should have been provided at the start and as others said, depression is not a free ticket. Tbh it falls pretty low on the list of special circumstances and I say this as a sufferer (compared to deaths, being hospitalized your house burning down or being stuck halfway around the world without a passport) Special also tends to mean 'unusual' but in your case is long term and ongoing.

If you're already studying in the least stressful distance method possible and can't break 25% with 2 tries they'll have likely judged that it's unrealistic for you to continue without starting again from scratch.. Past a point you need to be able to complete and pass. depression or no :/

Likely unrelated but least year my uni got hit with new rules, only 1 resit allowed, not 2, end of
Little Popcorns
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Castro)
So I had two modules which I failed the exams in summer 2017 but asked the OU to resit in summer 2018 instead of September 2017.

So I failed in June 2017 and took my resit in June 2018.

I have been going to severe depression and I submitted special circumstances with a doctors note and an explanation with 3 paragraphs of how my depression and mental health issues have been affecting me.

On the doctors note it says 'mental health problems'.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/assessment/ug/p2_11.asp it does say they will only take into consideration if the result is 'borderline'. I achieved 25% in the exam.

For one on the exams it says: fail: no resit/no resubmission and it goes special circumstances were presented to the module result panel.

And then it goes underneath "unfortunately the module result panel were unable to award you a pass module result on this occasion etc".

For the other module/exam it does overall module result: pending.

So what happens now? I don't think anything can be done. There is resits in September.

I was hoping they would look at my depression and offer me a resit in September.
Have you submitted the exceptional factors and received a result?
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Little Popcorns)
Have you submitted the exceptional factors and received a result?
I suspect depression isn't Exceptional Circumstances as it's ongoing.

One uni's take on it

"The evidence must confirm that the circumstances were sudden, unforeseen and temporary at the time of the assessment deadline or scheduled examination date"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (108)
59.67%
No (38)
20.99%
Not sure (35)
19.34%

Watched Threads