gratedchedda
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys Just wondering if anybody gets DSA and and if you have the Sonocent Audio Notetaker, how do you use this in lectures and seminars,etc?

Will I still need to bring my notebook to lectures?

BONUS QUESTION
How do you make the most use out of other assistive tech like MindView and ClaroRead and dragon naturally speaking?

I like to be informed so please answer as best as you can! Thank you guys so much x
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gratedchedda)
Hi guys Just wondering if anybody gets DSA and and if you have the Sonocent Audio Notetaker, how do you use this in lectures and seminars,etc?

Will I still need to bring my notebook to lectures?

BONUS QUESTION
How do you make the most use out of other assistive tech like MindView and ClaroRead and dragon naturally speaking?

I like to be informed so please answer as best as you can! Thank you guys so much x
I use it in some of my lectures which aren't pre-recorded. It's useful for highlighting important things without having to write them down. You may not need to use the microphone that comes with it - depends on the size of your lectures and where you sit.

I did bring a notebook to make my own notes too. You don't have to. Try it and see how things go in your first few weeks.

I can't speak for the others because I only had Sonocent and ClaroRead and I honestly didn't use ClaroRead because when I tried to use it as an audiobook sort of thing, it pauses before it goes onto a new line, which is so annoying.
gratedchedda
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
I use it in some of my lectures which aren't pre-recorded. It's useful for highlighting important things without having to write them down. You may not need to use the microphone that comes with it - depends on the size of your lectures and where you sit.

I did bring a notebook to make my own notes too. You don't have to. Try it and see how things go in your first few weeks.

I can't speak for the others because I only had Sonocent and ClaroRead and I honestly didn't use ClaroRead because when I tried to use it as an audiobook sort of thing, it pauses before it goes onto a new line, which is so annoying.
Thank you for the reply! I was thinking I might use the sonocent in lectures despite them being on lecture capture because I don’t wanna confuse myself 🙈 I’ll bring a notebook too just to be on the safe side as well
And thanks for the head up about claroread, I’ll test it out but if it doesn’t work out for me then I think I’ll just leave it.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for the reply! I was thinking I might use the sonocent in lectures despite them being on lecture capture because I don’t wanna confuse myself 🙈 I’ll bring a notebook too just to be on the safe side as well
And thanks for the head up about claroread, I’ll test it out but if it doesn’t work out for me then I think I’ll just leave it.
Not all of your lectures may be recorded. Check your university's policy.
gratedchedda
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
Not all of your leokay Iectures may be recorded. Check your university's policy.
Okay I will, thank you
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Okay I will, thank you
e.g. Keele has an opt-out policy for lecturers using lecture capture/playback. It automatically happens but lectures can choose for it not to happen, and many do.

They can also forget to press record.:indiff:
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just wanted to add some of your university lectures you might be prohibited from recording as well. My health psychology lectures and psychoanalytic therapy lectures were both blanked out for me in my third year (although they were lectures from outside my department too) - I was told this was due to privacy reasons as we talked about own health experiences or experiences of others. Seminars and classes also weren't recorded.

I had Sonocent and MindView (+ some other stuff, including something similar to ClaroRead and Dragon Naturally Speaking called Read&Write Gold 11), I found the reading software really useful (actually still use it), Sonocent I didn't really use because most of my lectures were recorded and I had (mostly) unrestricted access anyway (I had more access to lectures than most other students due to my disability), and MindView/Read&Write Gold 11 were both pretty useful when doing essays, although I still preferred typing when my hands allowed it.

In lectures I brought a tablet with me but for the most part didn't use it unless I was in statistics or something.
gratedchedda
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pathway)
Just wanted to add some of your university lectures you might be prohibited from recording as well. My health psychology lectures and psychoanalytic therapy lectures were both blanked out for me in my third year (although they were lectures from outside my department too) - I was told this was due to privacy reasons as we talked about own health experiences or experiences of others. Seminars and classes also weren't recorded.

I had Sonocent and MindView (+ some other stuff, including something similar to ClaroRead and Dragon Naturally Speaking called Read&Write Gold 11), I found the reading software really useful (actually still use it), Sonocent I didn't really use because most of my lectures were recorded and I had (mostly) unrestricted access anyway (I had more access to lectures than most other students due to my disability), and MindView/Read&Write Gold 11 were both pretty useful when doing essays, although I still preferred typing when my hands allowed it.

In lectures I brought a tablet with me but for the most part didn't use it unless I was in statistics or something.
I am going to use a tablet too, my course is nursing but I think it’ll be helpful to use the sonocent on the iPad rather then carrying my laptop. It’s preett large laptop so I don’t wanna be lugging it around xx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (520)
33.74%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (638)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.54%

Watched Threads