The Student Room Group

RAF Recruit Training

Hello I have read somewhere that now in the Recruitment for RAF the training for PT is that you have to swim or something along the lines of that is that true or is the swimming only for certain roles once you finish Recruit Training
Reply 1
Original post by TheLostHDPenguin
Hello I have read somewhere that now in the Recruitment for RAF the training for PT is that you have to swim or something along the lines of that is that true or is the swimming only for certain roles once you finish Recruit Training

Swimming is part of the training for everyone.

But, aside from a couple of roles, you don't need to actually be any good.
So when I do raf basic training I will need to swim
I cant swim that well though.

Original post by Drewski
Swimming is part of the training for everyone.

But, aside from a couple of roles, you don't need to actually be any good.
Reply 3
So when I do raf basic training I will need to swim
I cant swim that well though.

Yes.

So learn.

For what it's worth, when I went through - while I could swim - I was **** at it. That didn't matter though.
Original post by Drewski
Yes.

So learn.

For what it's worth, when I went through - while I could swim - I was **** at it. That didn't matter though.

What do u have to do in the test. Ie how far you have to swim.
Reply 5
What do u have to do in the test. Ie how far you have to swim.

100m without touching the bottoms or side, 2 mins treading water, get yourself out unaided.

*At least, that's what it used to be.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
100m without touching the bottoms or side, 2 mins treading water, get yourself out unaided.

*At least, that's what it used to be.

It's now 100m (ish) without touching the side alone in coveralls. It is not required to pass but if you want to do the water sports at Adventure training then you will have to pass. That is the only time you actually swim during phase 1.

Source - I graduated phase 1 in april.
Reply 7
Original post by darklegendo
It's now 100m (ish) without touching the side alone in coveralls. It is not required to pass but if you want to do the water sports at Adventure training then you will have to pass. That is the only time you actually swim during phase 1.

Source - I graduated phase 1 in april.

And still any stroke except backstroke?
Original post by Drewski
And still any stroke except backstroke?

I don't remember exactly but everyone did breaststroke so I assume so
So i swim but if I fail then it doesnt really matter. will I be able to retake it in the future.
So i swim but if I fail then it doesnt really matter. will I be able to retake it in the future.

Correct, yes.

There's nothing to retake. If you fail, it doesn't matter. Just means you can't do water sports at Crick.
Original post by darklegendo
There's nothing to retake. If you fail, it doesn't matter. Just means you can't do water sports at Crick.

What if after i finish recruit training and i want to become an raf pilot then will I have another swimming test
What if after i finish recruit training and i want to become an raf pilot then will I have another swimming test

At some point in the future you will be given another chance.

If you want to become a pilot you'd reapply to join the RAF as an officer and do the whole application process again, but from a different point of view. And then, yes, you'd do more swimming.
Reply 14
When I went through you had to pass a swim test in coveralls
Reply 15
Granted that was18 years ago now
Reply 16
Hi I have my recruit training in a couple of weeks has anyone got any tips/advice for the bleep test as I have been practicing and I'm struggling to reach the reqiured level.
Original post by Bbbssss
Hi I have my recruit training in a couple of weeks has anyone got any tips/advice for the bleep test as I have been practicing and I'm struggling to reach the reqiured level.

Get running. Keep running.

Practise it.

Do HIIT runs. Do longer runs.

Aircrew have to pass the aircrew swim test every year and do maritime survival drills. It's what Drewski said before: 100m no touchy, 2 mins treading water, and then self extraction from the pool, all wearing a flying suit.

Quick Reply

Latest