The Student Room Group

Friends going on holiday without me, do I have a right to be mad?

Okay so a couple of months ago I suggested that me and two close friends go away over the summer to a city in Europe, however the suggestions I made were deemed too expensive so nothing was planned.

However, my two close friends and another friend applied for interail travel passes in a competition, I couldn’t enter because I wasn’t 18 until the end of August. I didn’t even know they had applied. A couple of days ago friend A messaged me to say that they had won the passes and that they were devastated that I couldn’t go with them.

She then told me when they were planning on going, the dates meant that they would miss my 18th which they knew. I had told them weeks ago that we could go out for my birthday. I didn’t really want to celebrate with anyone else.

They messaged me to say that they wouldn’t go if I didn’t want them to but how could I be that friend? I’m just upset because I feel left out and annoyed because I really wanted to go away with them.
I am quite a calm person so I messaged back saying I was upset and that I was happy that they won and they just said sorry and that was it. I’m not sure they realise how upset I am.

I don’t want to seem petty but do I have a right to be mad?
Original post by Anonymous
Okay so a couple of months ago I suggested that me and two close friends go away over the summer to a city in Europe, however the suggestions I made were deemed too expensive so nothing was planned.

However, my two close friends and another friend applied for interail travel passes in a competition, I couldn’t enter because I wasn’t 18 until the end of August. I didn’t even know they had applied. A couple of days ago friend A messaged me to say that they had won the passes and that they were devastated that I couldn’t go with them.

She then told me when they were planning on going, the dates meant that they would miss my 18th which they knew. I had told them weeks ago that we could go out for my birthday. I didn’t really want to celebrate with anyone else.

They messaged me to say that they wouldn’t go if I didn’t want them to but how could I be that friend? I’m just upset because I feel left out and annoyed because I really wanted to go away with them.
I am quite a calm person so I messaged back saying I was upset and that I was happy that they won and they just said sorry and that was it. I’m not sure they realise how upset I am.

I don’t want to seem petty but do I have a right to be mad?

Well. That’s kinda sad. I mean I wouldn’t leave a friend out. Don’t feel bad. You can feel mad and upset. But there’s not really much you could have done.
Reply 2
Original post by ProRoadman
Well. That’s kinda sad. I mean I wouldn’t leave a friend out. Don’t feel bad. You can feel mad and upset. But there’s not really much you could have done.

Thank you for replying. I think the fact I couldn’t do anything is annoying.
I think you're going to have to let them go however upset you are. It seems quite insensitive that they've booked it over your 18th when they know you were upset at not being able to go in the first place - could you ask for the interail pass for your birthday so you could go with them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending