Is it a good or bad Idea to do A level fine art and A level textiles in sixth form?

Watch
Jenyvvv
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm concerned the coursework will be too much to handle . Alongside these two I would pick English Literature. I enjoy art a lot and even though I never took GCSE textiles, I want to get into it in sixth form. Good idea to do 2 art subjects or no?
IQuitTSR
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what do you want to do after sixth form?
Jenyvvv
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheTroll73)
what do you want to do after sixth form?
Either illustration, Graphic design or Fashion design
super_hannah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Depends on what you're thinking of doing in the future but I can tell you that you'll have a huge amount of coursework
Jenyvvv
Rep:
?
(Original post by super_hannah)
Depends on what you're thinking of doing in the future but I can tell you that you'll have a huge amount of coursework
Yeh i'd definitely knew that it would be a lot, but if I started early and worked hard would it be alright or just overly stressful?
IQuitTSR
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want, yes.

But make sure your third option is a facilitating subject, which are listed below:

• Mathematics and Further Mathematics
  • English Literature
  • Physics
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Geography
  • History
  • Languages (Classical and Modern)

I suggets you try a fourth a level too (maybe even another facilitating subject) so you can drop one of the subjects if they don't end up being enjoyable
Jenyvvv
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheTroll73)
If you want, yes.

But make sure your third option is a facilitating subject, which are listed below:

• Mathematics and Further Mathematics
  • English Literature
  • Physics
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Geography
  • History
  • Languages (Classical and Modern)

I suggets you try a fourth a level too (maybe even another facilitating subject) so you can drop one of the subjects if they don't end up being enjoyable
I would pick english lit, maybe a forth subject could be a good idea
super_hannah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jenyvvv)
Yeh i'd definitely knew that it would be a lot, but if I started early and worked hard would it be alright or just overly stressful?
I think it would be quite stressful yes & most likely have to stay after school most days. A levels are stressful enough as it is.
If you're wanting to go into art/design and not anything specific, unis will literally only look at a degree in art. Plus if you have gcse textiles then that's great. However if you love them both & you think you can handle the huge amount of pressure then go for it.
Jenyvvv
Rep:
?
@super_hannah Thank you, the only other option I would pick would be photography which *may* be easier but I'm not sure. I just thought that perhaps Uni's would value textiles over photography for the future career and course I wanna do.
IQuitTSR
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jenyvvv)
@super_hannah Thank you, the only other option I would pick would be photography which *may* be easier but I'm not sure. I just thought that perhaps Uni's would value textiles over photography for the future career and course I wanna do.
I would think that a level textiles would suit better for the possible courses you wish to do.

I am sure that if those are subjects you enjoy, then you will be able to handle the high amount of coursework.

One also needs to realize that the more the coursework, the less the exams at the end! (which is a concern for those taking no A levels with coursework)

It seems art and textiles are quite related too, which may help ease the workload (I know from experience A level math, further math, and physics is not the same workload as 3 unrelated A levels)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (90)
64.75%
I don't have everything I need (49)
35.25%

Watched Threads