The Student Room Group

Predicted grades

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymoususer16
I was looking at Newcastle, Nottingham and Lancaster for Computer Science as they do not require maths

I attended an open day at Newcastle University a couple of weeks ago, and in one of the presentations I attended they stressed that they place most of the weight regarding decision making on grades and your 'academic journey' rather than your personal statement.

I'm currently in a similar predicament, I got B's in my mocks but really close to A's. My college initially wouldn't budge, but they're now considering it after discussing it in person with the individual teachers - try and really sell yourself and how much work you're willing to put in, ask what you need to do to get an A and for resources to use.

Hope this helps!
Got BBC in my internal end of year 12 exams but need ABB for the university I want to go to. I deserved my grades as I only worked at about 30 - 40 percent intensity all year round, I treated them the same as I did GCSE's and expected to do better but in reality I was just lazy and got the grades I deserved.

I have now been predicted BBC, I know I can get at least AAB if I work hard next year, how can I convince my teachers of this as I have been getting B's and C's all year due to a lack of effort. Any advice would be appreciated.

I’m having a very very similar issue to you rn. Best bet is head of year or head of sixth form/college to override. The geo and bio grades are bs, should be predicted A’s. If you were to explain yourself and promise you would improve next school year and show that in the first couple of months do the year then I see no reason why not to move you up to ABB.
Original post by zq01
I’m having a very very similar issue to you rn. Best bet is head of year or head of sixth form/college to override. The geo and bio grades are bs, should be predicted A’s. If you were to explain yourself and promise you would improve next school year and show that in the first couple of months do the year then I see no reason why not to move you up to ABB.

Good luck! Hopefully I can move Bio and Geo up to an A and then Chem to a B - then I would have AAB and could apply to the unis I want to go to.
Don't particularly like the idea of a gap year but I guess it's always a back up plan. I just feel like my teachers are limiting my success as it is so demotivating knowing that even if I do well I won't have a secured place at my preferred uni.

The only person limiting your success is YOU - your teachers can't over-predict because the school will get a bad reputation for the accuracy of its predictions. They are doing their job!
Computer Science will have spaces - look at this year's clearing spaces - so aply where you want for 2 of your choices and two lower ones and see what happens.
Original post by Muttley79
The only person limiting your success is YOU - your teachers can't over-predict because the school will get a bad reputation for the accuracy of its predictions. They are doing their job!
Computer Science will have spaces - look at this year's clearing spaces - so aply where you want for 2 of your choices and two lower ones and see what happens.

Do you think there is much chance of an offer with a solid personal statement even though my predicted grades are 2-3 below the requirements...

Like I said previously I know I can do better, I just have to put in the work
Ace ur actual A levels. Do a gap year- lots of extra reading and work experience. Apply for Oxbridge. Get in. Profit???
Do you think there is much chance of an offer with a solid personal statement even though my predicted grades are 2-3 below the requirements...

Like I said previously I know I can do better, I just have to put in the work

Your reference will be more than the predictions so ask for work you can do over the holidays and hand it in on day one in September. You might then get some positive comments in what your teachers say. Things like 'recent progress' will help.
Original post by Kilam_Namoan
Ace ur actual A levels. Do a gap year- lots of extra reading and work experience. Apply for Oxbridge. Get in. Profit???

Unfortunately no hope of Oxbridge - I don't do Maths A Level
Good luck! Hopefully I can move Bio and Geo up to an A and then Chem to a B - then I would have AAB and could apply to the unis I want to go to.

Cheers mate, hope everything works out for ya
Original post by Muttley79
Your reference will be more than the predictions so ask for work you can do over the holidays and hand it in on day one in September. You might then get some positive comments in what your teachers say. Things like 'recent progress' will help.

Thank you for the advice, I will ask for some work to complete over the summer.

Quick Reply

Latest