Year 10 summer revision? Watch

s.m999
Badges: 16
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey. I’m in year 10 and approaching the end of year.
(We break up this friday yasssss)

I was wondering how much revision I should be doing over summer.

My grades are meh so far…

English lang: 8
English lit: 7
Maths: 4
Italian: 5
History: 7
Business: 8
Sociology: 9
Combined (trilogy) science: 6-6
RS: 7

I’m aiming for a clean sweep of 8’s with a 6 in Italian.

I know this summer will be very ‘maths- heavy’ as I need to pull that up by 3-4 grades; I need, at the least, a 7.

How much should I do? I’m not that busy this summer, I’m abroad for two weeks, will probably go out once or twice a week with mates but other than that I’m generally free. I don’t want to waste six weeks away and fall into an unproductive schedule; (wake up and go on my phone again) when next summer 16 years of education come down to one envelope.

I was thinking 6 hours a day when I’m free, so probably around 4 times a week, bunched into three 2- hour subject sessions. Is that too strenuous for my target, considering I am quite far off?

The thing is with the exception of 3 subjects (you guess them) I actually don’t mind revising. My parents don’t mind me doing only 1hr a day, but I want to do well more than anything so I want to go full throttle and smash it out. My grades aren’t too good to be honest when I’m aiming for straight 8’s and a 6 so I’m conflicted.

Thanks everyone :-)
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
don't burn yourself out in the summer! 6 hours is a lot and i personally wouldn't recommend doing that in the summer. maybe an hour a day, if that if you wanna do revision.
make sure all your revision notes are done so you're less stressed in year 11.
s.m999
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
don't burn yourself out in the summer! 6 hours is a lot and i personally wouldn't recommend doing that in the summer. maybe an hour a day, if that if you wanna do revision.
make sure all your revision notes are done so you're less stressed in year 11.
Thanks! The only thing is I am substantially off my target and I have to meet my grade target. :eek4:

I don't have that much to do to be honest, so I don't want to waste six weeks when I could be going back to school in September knowing I'm working at 10 grade 7's! :damnmate:
JustSomeoneAlone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would only do a minimal amount. But after gradually build up the hours you do.
s.m999
(Original post by JustSomeoneAlone)
I would only do a minimal amount. But after gradually build up the hours you do.
What do you mean by a minimal amount, how much exactly? Thanks
JustSomeoneAlone
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by s.m999)
What do you mean by a minimal amount, how much exactly? Thanks
Like 1-3 hours. The holiday is for a break and you don't want to be burning yourself out before you even start year 11 because you will need the energy.
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks! The only thing is I am substantially off my target and I have to meet my grade target. :eek4:

I don't have that much to do to be honest, so I don't want to waste six weeks when I could be going back to school in September knowing I'm working at 10 grade 7's! :damnmate:
you can still do a minimal amount of work in the summer and achieve your target grade for gcses:yep:
Rid The Kid
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
omg you are exactly like me

I made a whole list of what to do and am DEDICATED to doing over 4 hrs a day to get most 8's a 9 and rest 7
rn im most high 6's/7 and English literature an 8/9-finished the gcse and getting results on results day *fingers crossed *

I'm going to make notes, mindmaps and flashcards for all subjects, make sure you spam the school library printer with loads of maths practice papers.
I have a whole list with papers and topic tests to print out over the course of this week
HendoAndo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't bother. Do like an hour a week if you want but there really isn't any point. Enjoy the summers while they last. I didn't revise until the exams, and did fine, it really isn't worth it.
Rid The Kid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I will do English, maths, science, and history every day and at least 1hr and a half for each of them, I have an academic diary that plans your day so I will wake up at 8 am and do a revision until 6 pm with hour breaks. I can send you a screenshot of it tomorrow after school, doing hw rn

grades and targets:

maths: 6-7
english language: 6-8
combined science 5/6-7 7
RS:7-8
business:7-8
DT:7-8
History: 7-8

as you can see Im on 7's and want 8's like you
work hard=success

you will get those grades

PS- have a 1 week break and get things done THEN you can grind, thats what I will do, binge watch all tv shows and anime then no distraction.
aarnat
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
QUALITY OVER QUANTITY, that was my mantra and I think I’ve done pretty good because I could recall a lot more than I thought I would
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
catwhodoodles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
be careful not to burnout! i remember trying to do tonnes of work in the summer but i got bored of it rly quick
i'd recommend focusing on any topics that you didn't understand during the year or trying to improve on your weaker subjects
e.g. in my case i really hated poetry and didn't quite understand it either, so i tried to revise a poem a day for around two weeks and reviewed them all at the end of the holidays
hope it goes well! x
akpo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on whether this would help you to achieve good grades. As long as your revision is active and not passive, & you do not burnout, because 6 hour sessions sound realistic in theory, but when planned out, you tend to find that you have covered all the daily revision in less than the time suggested, or that your overwhelmed by how much revision you've planned. However, on a entirely different note, also enjoy your holiday, you still have a lot of time before your public exams & Good luck.
s.m999
(Original post by I'mComingOxford)
omg you are exactly like me

I made a whole list of what to do and am DEDICATED to doing over 4 hrs a day to get most 8's a 9 and rest 7
rn im most high 6's/7 and English literature an 8/9-finished the gcse and getting results on results day *fingers crossed *

I'm going to make notes, mindmaps and flashcards for all subjects, make sure you spam the school library printer with loads of maths practice papers.
I have a whole list with papers and topic tests to print out over the course of this week
Can you send me your academic diary please? Thankss
s.m999
(Original post by aarnat)
QUALITY OVER QUANTITY, that was my mantra and I think I’ve done pretty good because I could recall a lot more than I thought I would
Thanks, yeah I don't think I need to be concerned about relaxing too much haha, that's my forte aha
s.m999
(Original post by catwhodoodles)
be careful not to burnout! i remember trying to do tonnes of work in the summer but i got bored of it rly quick
i'd recommend focusing on any topics that you didn't understand during the year or trying to improve on your weaker subjects
e.g. in my case i really hated poetry and didn't quite understand it either, so i tried to revise a poem a day for around two weeks and reviewed them all at the end of the holidays
hope it goes well! x
Thankssss x

Yeah that sounds good, I think I am going to do a lotttt of maths and science, ughh I'm dreading thinking about it even, but I need to get 7's and 8's in those weaker subjects haha
s.m999
(Original post by akpo)
It depends on whether this would help you to achieve good grades. As long as your revision is active and not passive, & you do not burnout, because 6 hour sessions sound realistic in theory, but when planned out, you tend to find that you have covered all the daily revision in less than the time suggested, or that your overwhelmed by how much revision you've planned. However, on a entirely different note, also enjoy your holiday, you still have a lot of time before your public exams & Good luck.
Thank you! :console:

I quite enjoy learning about some of the things and I feel good after I've revised, so I don't think I'll burn out, I've also got to get started on my chest and six- pack that I've been putting off for a while now haha
Shafiabi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can you send me your academic diary please? Thankss
Can u send me your academic diary please thanku
catwhodoodles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thankssss x

Yeah that sounds good, I think I am going to do a lotttt of maths and science, ughh I'm dreading thinking about it even, but I need to get 7's and 8's in those weaker subjects haha
you can do it!! just think about the free time you'll have the summer after exams! and make sure to take adequate breaks too x
Rid The Kid
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Name:  20180717_162627-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 104
Size:  46.6 KB

here you go
Attached files
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X