The Student Room Group

University With BTEC?

I want to study A levels in September, but I am worried that my GCSE grades may not meet the entry requirements of my colleges. One of my colleges offers BTEC Travel and Tourism, while another off BTEC Business (both at level 2) as backup options.

I understand that if I achieve good grades at level 2, I can progress to level 3 in that BTEC.

So my questions are :

1) Will I possibly be rejected from universities because of bad GCSE grades even if I achieved good grades in the BTEC?

2) Which BTEC would you recommend between the two?

3) Has anyone on here gone to university after achieving good grades at BTEC despite bad gcse grades?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by iiStrxwBxrry2001
I want to study A levels in September, but I am worried that my GCSE grades may not meet the entry requirements of my colleges. One of my colleges offers BTEC Travel and Tourism, while another off BTEC Business (both at level 2) as backup options.

I understand that if I achieve good grades at level 2, I can progress to level 3 in that BTEC.

So my questions are :

1) Will I possibly be rejected from universities because of bad GCSE grades even if I achieved good grades in the BTEC?

3) Has anyone on here gone to university after achieving good grades at BTEC despite bad gcse grades?

Thanks!

Do you want to study A-levels or a BTEC?

Which course are you considering at university?

How "bad" might your GCSEs be? Depending on the course some universities have minimum GCSE requirements for English and sometimes Maths. Some may also specify 5 good grades, but that's less common.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BTEC business at level 3 would be seen as valuable enough to get into uni, I know a few people that have gotten on to various courses through one. I know less about the travel and tourism one but I would imagine it could get you onto a degree but your options would be more limited than if you did a Business BTEC. It is deffo achievable to get there though as long as you pass Maths and English GCSE/ functional skills.

Don't get me wrong, you're unlikely to get into a 'top' uni, but you could get into 'a' uni
Reply 3
It really depends on what course you would like to take and which university you would like to attend. 1 -
Reply 4
A- Not many universities actually do care about GCSE other than the top ones such as Oxford and Cambridge etc. Most university only require a min of C in math and English, some may want a B in math depending on the course you're going for.

A - Honestly both of the BTEC courses are bad. They're a dead end and will not take you into a career field If you're going uni to do either of these courses then you will just waste time and money as there are no clear career prospect for these two. I think apprenticeship is more suitable for you as you clearly don't know what you want however, at least you will earn money and learn some real world skill that are actually employable whereas in the classroom you wouldn't. And it also gives you time to think about what you really want. But I repeat don't go university to do these rubbish courses.

A- Yeah I got into computer science at Goldsiths university.
Original post by A2k32
A- Not many universities actually do care about GCSE other than the top ones such as Oxford and Cambridge etc. Most university only require a min of C in math and English, some may want a B in math depending on the course you're going for.

A - Honestly both of the BTEC courses are bad. They're a dead end and will not take you into a career field If you're going uni to do either of these courses then you will just waste time and money as there are no clear career prospect for these two. I think apprenticeship is more suitable for you as you clearly don't know what you want however, at least you will earn money and learn some real world skill that are actually employable whereas in the classroom you wouldn't. And it also gives you time to think about what you really want. But I repeat don't go university to do these rubbish courses.

I want to do Law at uni and got told that there aren't any specific courses or qualifications you need to have taken, although it is supposed to be quite competitive.
If you want real life cases:
I know someone that got pretty low average GCSEs with mostly Cs in their GCSE but Bs on Maths and English. They did only BTEC, triple in college with no exams and full coursework.
They got into Queen Mary University of London . Something I could never hope to do with my almost full set of A/A* in GCSE and 3 average A levels . (sad life)
I think it depends on the course too. I want to do science which is more competitive I guess.
I know someone else who got into Biomedical Engineering with double science BTEC and one a level too.
BTEC is just as relevant, dont worry but in certain situations, make sure you do research to see if it fits you.
I just scraped C's in my GCSE'S but did 2 years at college (BTEC) and came out with D*D*D* Im now a student nurse! As long as you put the work in you'll do fine
Original post by iiStrxwBxrry2001

So my questions are :

Thanks!

1) not likely if you meet their entry requirements
2) business (depends what you want to do in uni tho)
3) i underachieved massively in my gcses got 3 Bs 5 Cs and a D (i was predicted As and A*s. i messed up my AS exams too the year after. i started doing a btec level 3 in a applied science as well as carrying on with my psychology A level. i’m going to a russell group university doing psychology (competitive course) in september. :smile:)

PS if you’re gonna do a btec male sure it’s level 3 and if you think you can handle it do an A level alongside )something like sociology as it may be easier, just because the actually A level won’t matter it’ll just be a way of showing you can cope with exams which improved for gcses, unis will love this ).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by A2k32

I agree do not do business and tourism at uni but will doing these courses hamper me a chance of getting an apprenticeship? I say this as someone who is currently taking the BTEC business course. Is it really bad and a dead end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending