lokidokie
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hey, I'm about to go on my summer break and I want new books to read.

I just finished 'Sapiens' and 'Homo Deus' by Yuval Noah Harari (books I really enjoyed).
And I'm interested in mythology (especially Norse).

So, any recommendations? I'm open to anything tbh.
Rhodesian
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You should read American Gods by Neil Gaiman.
It is fictional so is not very accurate in mythological knowledge but I think it’s really good.
There’s also a tv show of it that came out recently.

It’s a very good novel.
I’ll give you the main gist of the novel:
Basically it’s set in modern America. And there are the new Gods ( gods of things that modern people enjoy like television and stuff)
And there’s the old gods like the Norse, Egyptian and other forgotten not prayed to Gods.

I’m not gonna tell you any spoilers. But one of the characters is Odin.
Rmcewan15
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well if you're interested in mythology, there are the big three of the classical world to choose from: The Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid.

Another option would be Beowulf, an Anglo-Saxon poem about a Scandinavian (I think Danish specifically) king who's immortal and I think he has to kill a monster as well. I think Stephen Fry also did a book of myths called Mythos or something. I don't know any specific Norse works, though I'm sure if you looked online you could find some good translated sagas to buy.

Obviously, if you haven't read J.R.R Tolkien, do so now (he was actually a professor of Old Norse if I remember correctly, so he might have done something related to that, or at least translated some famous saga).

From a non-mythological standpoint though, I can't recommend 'We Are The Ants' by Shaun David Hutchinson enough. I've sang its praises on Reddit, and I can link my much more extensive review of it on there if you like. To summarise it though, it's about a boy dealing with the ramifications of suicide, bullying, and being a teenager in the 2010's.

Fair warning, the main character is gay, and there are a few romance-y bits related to that, so if that puts you off don't bother. But if you do read it, I think you'll really enjoy it. I would consider myself a pretty prolific reader, and I've read a lot of heavy stuff and a lot of the classics and so on, but WATA is the only book to have ever made me cry.

If you really don't like the gay stuff btw, I would also avoid anything written prior to the Christianisation of the Roman Empire, as most of it is pretty damn homoerotic. That includes the first three classics I mentioned.
lokidokie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rhodesian)
It is fictional so is not very accurate in mythological knowledge but I think it’s really good.

It’s a very good novel.
Basically it’s set in modern America. And there are the new Gods ( gods of things that modern people enjoy like television and stuff)
And there’s the old gods like the Norse, Egyptian and other forgotten not prayed to Gods.

Sounds interesting. I'll give it a look!
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Factfulness by Hans Rosling. Non-fiction. This one's a real eye-opener and it's currently my favourite.
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to Books, literature and comics.
lokidokie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rmcewan15)
Well if you're interested in mythology, there are the big three of the classical world to choose from: The Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Aeneid.

Another option would be Beowulf, an Anglo-Saxon poem about a Scandinavian (I think Danish specifically) king who's immortal and I think he has to kill a monster as well. I think Stephen Fry also did a book of myths called Mythos or something. I don't know any specific Norse works, though I'm sure if you looked online you could find some good translated sagas to buy.

Obviously, if you haven't read J.R.R Tolkien, do so now (he was actually a professor of Old Norse if I remember correctly, so he might have done something related to that, or at least translated some famous saga).

From a non-mythological standpoint though, I can't recommend 'We Are The Ants' by Shaun David Hutchinson enough. I've sang its praises on Reddit, and I can link my much more extensive review of it on there if you like. To summarise it though, it's about a boy dealing with the ramifications of suicide, bullying, and being a teenager in the 2010's.

Fair warning, the main character is gay, and there are a few romance-y bits related to that, so if that puts you off don't bother. But if you do read it, I think you'll really enjoy it. I would consider myself a pretty prolific reader, and I've read a lot of heavy stuff and a lot of the classics and so on, but WATA is the only book to have ever made me cry.

If you really don't like the gay stuff btw, I would also avoid anything written prior to the Christianisation of the Roman Empire, as most of it is pretty damn homoerotic. That includes the first three classics I mentioned.
I've read some of Tolkien's works, but I'm on a mission to read more. I'll make sure to check out the other books you mentioned. Thanks for all the recommendations.
username2281303
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rhodesian)

It’s a very good novel.

damn...that sounds pretty good
think i might check it out too
is the tv show worth a watch?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (177)
58.42%
I don't have everything I need (126)
41.58%

Watched Threads