The Student Room Group

Would this be a REALLY stupid idea?

Hi, I'm applying to university for 2019 entry soon. Since I can't pick a 5th course for myself, since i am a big fan of economics, I plan to apply for Econ at LSE. What do you think my chances would look like; and is it worth applying in this way?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Synthetic Dozen
Hi, I'm applying to university for 2019 entry soon. I want to do computer science and have 4 options. Since I can't pick a 5th CS course for myself, since i am a big fan of economics too, I plan to apply for Econ at LSE. My PS is CS oriented (a little bit of econ as one of my A Levels), but I'm hoping with my A level predictions and subject references I may get in (but am not really expecting to). What do you think my chances would look like; and is it worth applying in this way?

Your chances wouldn't be ideal with a statement that isn't relevant at all, you don't have to use all 5 choices.
Original post by claireestelle
Your chances wouldn't be ideal with a statement that isn't relevant at all, you don't have to use all 5 choices.

I thought applications were reviewed holistically though.. Do they put more weighting on the PS than, say, academic achievement/projections?
I thought applications were reviewed holistically though.. Do they put more weighting on the PS than, say, academic achievement/projections?

They will consider academics but subjectively if a statement has no mention of that subject at all, and you're up against people with very committed personal statements then they'd pick the committed statement especially LSE who have many applicants per place .
You could ask LSE if they will allow you to sent them a personal statement specifically for them. Durham does that for combined social sciences? Why can’t you choose CS for all five options?
Original post by 12aissid
You could ask LSE if they will allow you to sent them a personal statement specifically for them. Durham does that for combined social sciences? Why can’t you choose CS for all five options?

See I've had a look for this and I don't think they do allow this. It's not that I can't pick a 5th option for CS, but the other courses just don't really appeal to me..
See I've had a look for this and I don't think they do allow this. It's not that I can't pick a 5th option for CS, but the other courses just don't really appeal to me..

So just apply to 4 choices for now. You can add a fifth later if you find another choice you like or don’t get as many offers as you hoped. Or if you do get offers for most of your four choices then don’t use the extra choice at all.

LSE will reject you if you apply with a CS PS for econ(although if you have some offers you are happy with you can always add it as your fifth choice in January to give it a try)
Hi, I'm applying to university for 2019 entry soon. I want to do computer science and have 4 options. Since I can't pick a 5th CS course for myself, since i am a big fan of economics too, I plan to apply for Econ at LSE. My PS is CS oriented (a little bit of econ as one of my A Levels), but I'm hoping with my A level predictions and subject references I may get in (but am not really expecting to). What do you think my chances would look like; and is it worth applying in this way?

LSE set great store by the PS, so to be frank you have a snowball's chance of getting into one of their most prestgious courses with a PS aimed at CS.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2017/BSc-Economics
Original post by ageshallnot
LSE set great store by the PS, so to be frank you have a snowball's chance of getting into one of their most prestgious courses with a PS aimed at CS.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2017/BSc-Economics

Shame they don't do interviews 🙄
Hi, I'm applying to university for 2019 entry soon. Since I can't pick a 5th course for myself, since i am a big fan of economics, I plan to apply for Econ at LSE. What do you think my chances would look like; and is it worth applying in this way?

I wouldnt do it. LSE are going to get some of the best and most focused applications dedicated to economics. You are suggesting you will chance your arm with a CS PS. I dont think it will convince them and you underestimate the quality of applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest