E107
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I am applying to Coleraine for PGCE Primary for 2019/2020.

Any advice on the application process/interview?

Thanks.
Clarinetto
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi E107,I did the Primary PGCE in coleraine in 2010. It’s so competitive to get in but not impossible. I took a year out and did two night course - one in computing (just to have ICT officially on my Cv and another in childcare), then I volunteered in two different schools to get a good breath of experience. I was voluntary classroom assistant in both until I was lucky to get a paid SEN assistant post for about 5 months before going to interview and I read a lot of books about education and teaching. I prepared interview questions and came up with a unique story for the storytelling session because I thought they’ll have heard most stories a million times and be bored witless! My story had four different puppets and I told it along with the book, it was a from a pilot scheme in Northern Ireland so quite unusual.
When I went in there was an interview panel of five. The written assessment was something about how to deliver a lesson, I wrote a lot about active learning and holistic development (buzz words I picked up in book). If anyone does get accepted and is looking for 2019/20 accommodation, I now teach and live in coleraine and have two rooms in my home which is a newly built turnkey property. I may look at renting them out for students (only the PGCE type though lol) when they are in their university placement sections of the course.When you get onto the PGCE you do blocks, 6 weeks uni, 6 weeks teaching practice somewhere near your home, so they usually recommend you get a BNB; which is what I did at the time.Anyway, I’ll watch this thread. Good luck to all applicants.
Ps my undergrad was in Divinity, there were also people on the course with a 2:2 degree, they really look more on your experience and how you present at interview.
I’ll check back if anyone wants to know more from someone who went through the whole process, let me know.
chelsea27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

I’ve also applied for Coleraine pgce for primary however am scared about how hard it is to get into! I’ve applied for Primary PGCE in edge hill and Liverpool Hope and I have interviews for Edge Hill on the 9th of November!
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone

Best of luck with all of your applications! It's great to see some students have already applied :thumbsup:

If you need any help or advice about potentially moving over to Liverpool from Northern Ireland, just give us a shout! We have a few from over there (including myself! ) and will be more than happy to help.

You can also get some more information regarding the interview process from our Education Department. They will be willing to give you an insight into the plan of the day

Melissa :jive:
Edge Hill University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chelsea27)
Hey!

I’ve also applied for Coleraine pgce for primary however am scared about how hard it is to get into! I’ve applied for Primary PGCE in edge hill and Liverpool Hope and I have interviews for Edge Hill on the 9th of November!
Hi Chelsea,

Good luck with your interview next week!

Alex
Music 13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
For the story telling part how much is to be off by heart, I know it said we have to tell the story not read it but can we hold the book in front of us and use the pictures as prompts? I was going to do a story with ten repetitive verses but worried if I don't have the book in front of me that the story will fall flat as I only found out today I have my story telling interview next week and won't have time to get 10 different animal puppets!
marykelly84
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi I have the stage 2 interview next Wednesday has anybody any advise on how to prep for the aptitude test
chelsea27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Well done in getting through story telling!! I’m still waiting to hear back so fingers crossed. When did you find out?
marykelly84
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I got am email on the 20th of December was over the moon
pgce201920
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi,I am doing my story telling on Tuesday. I’m very unprepared as I have been finishing my degree over Xmas. What story did you do? Did you use props and could you hold the book in front of you as a guide? Any help appreciated, thank you!
pgce201920
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Clarinetto)
Hi E107,I did the Primary PGCE in coleraine in 2010. It’s so competitive to get in but not impossible. I took a year out and did two night course - one in computing (just to have ICT officially on my Cv and another in childcare), then I volunteered in two different schools to get a good breath of experience. I was voluntary classroom assistant in both until I was lucky to get a paid SEN assistant post for about 5 months before going to interview and I read a lot of books about education and teaching. I prepared interview questions and came up with a unique story for the storytelling session because I thought they’ll have heard most stories a million times and be bored witless! My story had four different puppets and I told it along with the book, it was a from a pilot scheme in Northern Ireland so quite unusual.
When I went in there was an interview panel of five. The written assessment was something about how to deliver a lesson, I wrote a lot about active learning and holistic development (buzz words I picked up in book). If anyone does get accepted and is looking for 2019/20 accommodation, I now teach and live in coleraine and have two rooms in my home which is a newly built turnkey property. I may look at renting them out for students (only the PGCE type though lol) when they are in their university placement sections of the course.When you get onto the PGCE you do blocks, 6 weeks uni, 6 weeks teaching practice somewhere near your home, so they usually recommend you get a BNB; which is what I did at the time.Anyway, I’ll watch this thread. Good luck to all applicants.
Ps my undergrad was in Divinity, there were also people on the course with a 2:2 degree, they really look more on your experience and how you present at interview.
I’ll check back if anyone wants to know more from someone who went through the whole process, let me know.
I would love to know more about the story telling as I have mine on Tuesday. When you enter do you introduce yourself, are we to pretend that the interviewers are kids, when reading the story can we have the book in hand just Incase we blank, is it preferable to use props? Sorry for the questions, thank you
marykelly84
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by pgce201920)
Hi,I am doing my story telling on Tuesday. I’m very unprepared as I have been finishing my degree over Xmas. What story did you do? Did you use props and could you hold the book in front of you as a guide? Any help appreciated, thank you!
Hi from what I seen the day I was there nobody had the book with them. I done the hungry caterpillar and used very little props I had pictures of the food and a teddy caterpillar. I think they are looking for a confident story teller with a good time of voice and a story that is age appropriate
Albert90
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello Mary, how did your interview go?
SarahDale
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi guys, I have applied for Coleraine for the Primary PGCE too and I haven’t heard anything since my application! Does anyone know anything about when interviews stop or will we be contacted even if we aren’t successful?
Albert90
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by SarahDale)
Hi guys, I have applied for Coleraine for the Primary PGCE too and I haven’t heard anything since my application! Does anyone know anything about when interviews stop or will we be contacted even if we aren’t successful?
Sarah I don't think the interviews start until mid February.
SarahDale
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Some storytelling sessions have already taken place, I haven't even heard about that stage of the process yet
Albert90
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Some storytelling sessions have already taken place, I haven't even heard about that stage of the process yet
Yes story telling has been taking place since December. I would give them a call and ask them. At least then you'll know.
Katrinarose7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, I just heard last week that I have progressed to stage 2 and passed the storytelling interview, which I was thrilled about. I read a Canadian book as I wanted to stand out a little and am currently living in Toronto. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what to expect in the next interview? I know how difficult Coleraine is to get into and I really really want a place so much so any help would be appreciated
SarahDale
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi guys I have my storytelling on Monday 4th March, it seems so late considering people have heard about a second interview! Anybody have any idea what they’re looking for?
Katrinarose7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi guys I have my storytelling on Monday 4th March, it seems so late considering people have heard about a second interview! Anybody have any idea what they’re looking for?
Hi Sarah! My advice would be to be super confident and have fun! That’s all they are looking for at this stage, someone who can capture the attention of children and educate them while doing so! Be creative and use props, it’s very competitive so try and make yourself stand out! Try and find a story they haven’t heard yet and one that is educational☺️ Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (223)
70.79%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.41%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.79%

Watched Threads