English lit or lang? Watch

Newdongcity
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Is GCSE English Language or English Literature more important? My school’s giving students the chance to do English Literature as we all did English language 1year earlier(year 10).
If we choose to do English Literature we can’t do the English Language exam next year .
Which is more important?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
fred2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
[QUOTE=Newdongcity;78847066]Is GCSE English Language or English Literature more important? My school’s giving students the chance to do English Literature as we all did English language 1year earlier(year 10).
If we choose to do English Literature we can’t do the English Language exam next year .
Which is more important?[/QUOTE

English lang better and better to do in one year I did it in one year
Noonieiom
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If you fail the English Language exam in Y10, then you will resit it in Y11 (either in October or June). Some schools will allow you to complete both English Language and Literature together, however most will see Literature as an extension course from Language, and so may be reluctant to allow you to take it without a passing grade (by this I mean a C or above). English Language is of course more important than Literature as it is a core GCSE such as Maths or Science, which allows you to branch out, and also gives you the right first step in towards your future.

I took Lang. at GCSE and got a C, and yet in Lit I ended up with an A.

Realistically, Language is more important, it is the one that opens up gateways to other opportunities in life. However, if you are considering a university course to do with Literature, then obviously do Literature. It is mainly about your future plans. The safe option is Lang. But don't be afraid to take Lit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.65%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.41%
No, but I want to start (265)
37.59%
No, I am unable to (167)
23.69%
No, I chose not to (195)
27.66%