Medicine - urgent a levels help Watch

esha.i
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey so to sum it up I’ve just finished gcses etc now I need to pick a-levels well I already have picked them (chem, maths and biology) however I have suddenly taken an interest in psychology and I was wondering is it still possible to study medicine or is it a weird combination of a-levels to study to do medicine if I chose to study chem, maths and psychology ?? Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by esha.i)
Hey so to sum it up I’ve just finished gcses etc now I need to pick a-levels well I already have picked them (chem, maths and biology) however I have suddenly taken an interest in psychology and I was wondering is it still possible to study medicine or is it a weird combination of a-levels to study to do medicine if I chose to study chem, maths and psychology ?? Thanks
It is technically possible, but you would be limiting your choices quite significantly. Biology is also the most relevant A level, so there's no good reason to not do it. You could do biology, chemistry and psychology instead?
Medicmba
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
taking psychology is fine as a 4rth choice,
if your wanting to replace one of your chosen subjects, i would say think twice as they are a good combination that set you up well for medicine- but if you really want to swap one, then i guess its better to do a subject you like as you will do better
Tahmidah
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All of them require Biology and Chemistry. Maths is a preferred third subject and what most people do but it is possible to get in with psychology.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tahmidah)
All of them require Biology and Chemistry.
No.

Maths is a preferred third subject and what most people do
No.

but it is possible to get in with psychology.
Yes.

1/3 = more work needed.
esha.i
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
Yes.

1/3 = more work needed.
So you suggest I do bio with Chem?
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So you suggest I do bio with Chem?
Yep. More info here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
Sanjith Hegde123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They all require chemistry but you'd be at a major disadvantage without biology.
DontJudgeImANerd
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you want to do medicine, I'd strongly recommend doing Bio and Chem, the third doesn't really matter too much, Maths is a strong subject (in general, not specifically for medicine), but most Unis don't really care what the third is in, just that it's there.

have you considered doing Psychology as a 4th A Level? It'll mean extra work (obviously :P) but it'll help you to stand out from other candidates, and if it interests you, and you enjoy it, that shouldn't really be a problem for you
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's really no need to take four A levels - it won't help your application and it may take up too much time and prevent you from getting the grades you need. AAA will get you in, AABB will not.
esha.i
Rep:
?
There's really no need to take four A levels - it won't help your application and it may take up too much time and prevent you from getting the grades you need. AAA will get you in, AABB will not.
Are u studying medicine rn?
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are u studying medicine rn?
No. Graduated and working.
esha.i
Rep:
?
No. Graduated and working.
Lol is it unusual coming back on the student room after you’ve studied
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not really, I've been on here since 2006 (pre-uni) so I just stuck around I guess.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's a lot of doctors on here - probably a function of being at uni for so long.
esha.i
Rep:
?
Guys what if I did bio, chem, maths and an EPQ? Is it even worth doing and EPQ? Any doctors on here pls tell me what a-levels you took(and grades) and your opinion about the whole EPQ
esha.i
Rep:
?
Any oxbridge doctors on here too?
daisie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Guys what if I did bio, chem, maths and an EPQ? Is it even worth doing and EPQ? Any doctors on here pls tell me what a-levels you took(and grades) and your opinion about the whole EPQ
I did EPQ along with Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I’m due to start this September to study Medicine. The EPQ isn’t overly difficult (unless you choose a really obscure topic) but the universities have not included it in any of my offers nor was it mentioned at any of my interviews. If writing comes natural to you then you may enjoy it but be sure to focus on your main 3 subjects because these are what the universities care about.
esha.i
Rep:
?
(Original post by daisie)
I did EPQ along with Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I’m due to start this September to study Medicine. The EPQ isn’t overly difficult (unless you choose a really obscure topic) but the universities have not included it in any of my offers nor was it mentioned at any of my interviews. If writing comes natural to you then you may enjoy it but be sure to focus on your main 3 subjects because these are what the universities care about.
What did you do ur EPQ about
daisie
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What did you do ur EPQ about
My title was ‘Should the NHS remain free?’ I got an A* on our provisional results day but the universities don’t even look at it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Guardian Offices, Kings Cross, London Postgraduate
    Mon, 2 Sep '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (220)
12.45%
Excited (166)
9.39%
Worried (308)
17.43%
Terrified (389)
22.01%
Meh (184)
10.41%
Confused (39)
2.21%