The Student Room Group

Alpha Gamma Solutions Job Interview - Should I go???

Hi, I have a job interview (2nd phase) at a sales and marketing company called Alpha Gamma Solutions tomorrow in Leicester. At first I thought the job was interesting and the company had emailed me personally asking to come in for an interview.

However after reading several reviews on Glassdoor, it seems that the company is a door to door sales business, where you have to work long hours and salary is commission based. This seems very off putting for me and I am now thinking of not going to the interview. Many applicants have gone home early at the interview stage as they spent up to 4 hours shadowing a senior member going from door to door. What should I do? Need some advice asap thanks.
Original post by United2810
Hi, I have a job interview (2nd phase) at a sales and marketing company called Alpha Gamma Solutions tomorrow in Leicester. At first I thought the job was interesting and the company had emailed me personally asking to come in for an interview.

However after reading several reviews on Glassdoor, it seems that the company is a door to door sales business, where you have to work long hours and salary is commission based. This seems very off putting for me and I am now thinking of not going to the interview. Many applicants have gone home early at the interview stage as they spent up to 4 hours shadowing a senior member going from door to door. What should I do? Need some advice asap thanks.

Know your walk away points. If it's commission based and that's a deal breaker for you, don't go. If door to door cold calling is a deal breaker, don't go. The other more subjective stuff (time shadowing etc.), ignore and make your own mind up on the job.
Reply 2
Original post by pmc:producer
Know your walk away points. If it's commission based and that's a deal breaker for you, don't go. If door to door cold calling is a deal breaker, don't go. The other more subjective stuff (time shadowing etc.), ignore and make your own mind up on the job.

Just don't want to waste my time that's all. I could go but if I end up leaving halfway through because it's not my thing, it'll be frustrating especially after having read the reviews. Commission based salary seems pretty bad tbf, gets worse when it's based on door to door sales. How do I let them know I won't be attending if I decide not to go? Just ring them up?
Just don't want to waste my time that's all. I could go but if I end up leaving halfway through because it's not my thing, it'll be frustrating especially after having read the reviews. Commission based salary seems pretty bad tbf, gets worse when it's based on door to door sales. How do I let them know I won't be attending if I decide not to go? Just ring them up?

I think you should call them to find out if the role is door to door & commission based. I'd be polite and decline if these are deal breakers... Definitely worth letting them know you won't be attending if this is the case (as then they can give someone else the opportunity).

If you decide against it, let them know you've reconsidered and commission only isn't for you. Thank them and keep job hunting!
Doesn't sound like the best of jobs. Just call them like PMC said. Best answer .
Reply 5
I think you should call them to find out if the role is door to door & commission based. I'd be polite and decline if these are deal breakers... Definitely worth letting them know you won't be attending if this is the case (as then they can give someone else the opportunity).

If you decide against it, let them know you've reconsidered and commission only isn't for you. Thank them and keep job hunting!

Interview is tomorrow at 11am so I'll ring beforehand and ask. What if they decline to say or give a vague answer? Surely they won't just straight up say that it's door to door/commission and will attempt to put some sort of spin on it?
Interview is tomorrow at 11am so I'll ring beforehand and ask. What if they decline to say or give a vague answer? Surely they won't just straight up say that it's door to door/commission and will attempt to put some sort of spin on it?

I imagine they'll be upfront. Some people thrive in commission/door to door environments and love it. Just because it's not our thing doesn't mean people don't see the value in it.

Where are you based? Is it just a job you're looking for?
Reply 7
I imagine they'll be upfront. Some people thrive in commission/door to door environments and love it. Just because it's not our thing doesn't mean people don't see the value in it.

Where are you based? Is it just a job you're looking for?

Based in Coventry and the job is in Leicester. Yeah just a job, applied to local Tesco as well which I should be hearing back from this week at some point, but just found it weird how this company contacted me out of the blue all of a sudden. Will probs reject tomorrow morning on the phone. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest