gcsemusicsucks
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a Dell Inspiron 7347 (2 in 1) which was bought in June 2015, but was stupid enough to knock it into a wall and its screen has cracked. The laptop is still perfectly functional but when I enable the touchscreen driver, I cannot use touchscreen around the area where the crack is (it isn't responsive), which is really bugging me. At university I'm planning to use the touchscreen more often, and I really don't want to run the risk of the crack getting worse and extending to the other side of the screen, therefore replacing the screen would be ideal.

I'd prefer to get it replaced at Currys PC World because they seem the most reliable rather than getting it done at some dodgy shop in town. I also want to avoid buying a screen and replacing it myself because I'm really paranoid I'll completely ruin my laptop

I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience with getting their laptop screen replaced at Currys PC World and how much it ended up costing at the end? The website states £60+ and I'm terrified that parts will end up costing a lot, but it feels wrong to consider getting a whole new laptop because I've only had this one for three years. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
I have a Dell Inspiron 7347 (2 in 1) which was bought in June 2015, but was stupid enough to knock it into a wall and its screen has cracked. The laptop is still perfectly functional but when I enable the touchscreen driver, I cannot use touchscreen around the area where the crack is (it isn't responsive), which is really bugging me. At university I'm planning to use the touchscreen more often, and I really don't want to run the risk of the crack getting worse and extending to the other side of the screen, therefore replacing the screen would be ideal.

I'd prefer to get it replaced at Currys PC World because they seem the most reliable rather than getting it done at some dodgy shop in town. I also want to avoid buying a screen and replacing it myself because I'm really paranoid I'll completely ruin my laptop

I was wondering whether anyone has had any experience with getting their laptop screen replaced at Currys PC World and how much it ended up costing at the end? The website states £60+ and I'm terrified that parts will end up costing a lot, but it feels wrong to consider getting a whole new laptop because I've only had this one for three years. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

£60 sounds low. I can only suggest ringing round taking a picture and asking for quotes. You can take photos of the crack, but I suspect they will replace the entire screen.

If you need a quote then also ask these people.[ nothing to do with me] might be able to id the issue and cost of both part and labour for you.

http://www.byteitltd.co.uk/

https://uk.trustpilot.com/categories/computer-repair

Seems the price for the part is c£120.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/13-3-LCD-To...768/1870320643
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
£60 sounds low. I can only suggest ringing round taking a picture and asking for quotes. You can take photos of the crack, but I suspect they will replace the entire screen.

If you need a quote then also ask these people.[ nothing to do with me] might be able to id the issue and cost of both part and labour for you.

http://www.byteitltd.co.uk/

https://uk.trustpilot.com/categories/computer-repair

Seems the price for the part is c£120.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/13-3-LCD-To...768/1870320643
Thanks that was really helpful! £60 was the fixed rate for labour costs and then I would have needed to pay for parts.

Just went into Curry's today to get a price quote and then found out that apparently they don't repair my laptop because it's too old so looks like the only option is to go to a dodgy store, repair it myself, find a new laptop or live with it :lol:
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by gcsemusicsucks)
Thanks that was really helpful! £60 was the fixed rate for labour costs and then I would have needed to pay for parts.

Just went into Curry's today to get a price quote and then found out that apparently they don't repair my laptop because it's too old so looks like the only option is to go to a dodgy store, repair it myself, find a new laptop or live with it :lol:
Most at Byte IT would give you a quote and not rip you off. I would use him but you can try for someone more local.

The point is although you can see the part for c £120 the company might charge you a lot more.

There are also some dell service centres.
gcsemusicsucks
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Most at Byte IT would give you a quote and not rip you off. I would use him but you can try for someone more local.

The point is although you can see the part for c £120 the company might charge you a lot more.

There are also some dell service centres.
Thanks for the advice! I've decided to stay away from my local centres since many friends have had bad experiences with them and I have terrible worry issues! My dad said he'd contribute £200 towards a new laptop for my birthday, and he can use mine since his own is very outdated and cannot visit some websites. I'll probably take him up on that offer Thanks again!
MOA23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I have a Lenovo idea pad 510 the screen keeps shaking, and sometimes it goes all dark and I think it’s broken and I don’t know what to do.? Do I bring it into the store or not?
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MOA23)
I have a Lenovo idea pad 510 the screen keeps shaking, and sometimes it goes all dark and I think it’s broken and I don’t know what to do.? Do I bring it into the store or not?
Please make your own thread next time rather than bumping one that's nearly half a year old.

Are these actual legitimate problems or is this normal use? For example does the screen wobble when you type? That's normal. Does the display turn off if you don't use it for a while? That's a power saving feature. We're going to need more info to know if these are real problems or part of the normal use case.

If it's still under warranty, you can easily take it in for repair or replacement. If not, you can at least go and get an opinion.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
My buddy... who knows computers inside out and has an IQ of 135... said he would rather drag in a passing 14yr old to fix his computer rather than go to PC world. Just passing it on...
eez
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Do it yourself. May seem intimidating but it's incredibly easy. Guarantee there's a video on YouTube for your model (or one similar) and the parts will be a fraction of the price if you order from aliexpress
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (60)
18.46%
Labour (130)
40%
Liberal Democrats (67)
20.62%
Green Party (25)
7.69%
Brexit Party (10)
3.08%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.23%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.54%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)