The Student Room Group

Too many jobless graduates

The number of jobless graduates is increasing daily and government has no clear plan to help them out. After a uni student is milked tens of thousands in tuition fees etc , he/she is kicked out of uni with a piece of paper which can hardly translate into jobs and money.

Scroll to see replies

Solution - pick a degree with employment potential, or just don't go to uni
Original post by Kevin70
The number of jobless graduates is increasing daily and government has no clear plan to help them out. After a uni student is milked tens of thousands in tuition fees etc , he/she is kicked out of uni with a piece of paper which can hardly translate into jobs and money.

It is their own fault - they chose to study a mickey mouse degree, they know there are other options to the 3 year party at "uni", nobody forced them to go there, they didn't research their degree properly.

No sympathy given for their situation.
Reply 3
Original post by Kevin70

University is largely a capitalist tool which ensures young adults get into debt and must become part of the workforce upon graduating. This creates a system of debt and capital amongst the working middle class.

As a young entrepreneur myself who went to 2 of the biggest Russel group universities I know most students will not have been taught the relevant skills they will need to perform the tasks I require. For example at university instead of being taught how to write for SEO (search engine optimisation) you are taught how to write using citations and Harvard referencing. This may look academic on paper but has little benefit to business's aiming to make a profit.

Nobody is forced to go to university - people still living within the blue pill fairy tail of good academics > good university > good job are mistaken. Aside from IB/Trading where you literally sell your soul working 100 hour weeks - even the 'best' graduate jobs in multinational companies pay low-mid 20's and lead to a boring/unhappy existence with nothing but the weekend to look forward to.

Either you are working to make money for yourself or working to make money for others.
Reply 4
I blame the lack of focus on Latin.
OP how would you feel about a system of:

1 place on a course = 1 job available in that sector

Would reduce graduate unemployment as they'd be guaranteed a job after their degree, but would massively reduce the number of places at Unis, thus less money put into the academic system. That would then mean a reduced quality of education and a worse graduate.

Unis are businesses wanting to make a profit, part for reinvestment. It's sort of required that they offer more places on a degree course than realistically the amount of available jobs in order to pay the bills and provide the top quality courses for those who are lucky enough to find a job in their sector.
Reply 6
After three to fours years of study at the university you get a piece of paper called a degree which you cannot even sell it for a £1. People without education are making 10 times more money. Most degrees seem to be useless unless they are in medicine, engineering and accouting.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kevin70

I think some people should stop studying rubbish courses at rubbish universities. Uni is now like a long holiday for some people. Then they graduate and complain about the lack of good prospects in their sector.

To me, there should a major reform of the education system. Encouraging more students to take up apprenticeships and other non-uni routes would reduce the pressure and provide a better path for many people.

Unfortunately, the system is now about making money, so students would be hounded to go to uni. Imagine paying the same fees for a dead uni when you can work harder to attend a much better uni with actual job prospects.
Reply 8
Original post by Kevin70

So what?
Original post by Kevin70

Original post by Kevin70
After three to fours of study at the university you get a piece of paper called a degree which you cannot even sell it for a £1. People without education are making 10 times more money.

Did you skip school and university? What degree did you study?
Reply 10
Original post by Kevin70
After three to fours years of study at the university you get a piece of paper called a degree which you cannot even sell it for a £1. People without education are making 10 times more money. Most degrees seem to be useless unless they are in medicine, engineering and accouting.

A bricklayer makes more money than most graduates with master’s degree.
Original post by 999tigger
Did you skip school and university? What degree did you study?

As if you'll get a reply... :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by Kevin70
A bricklayer makes more money than most graduates with master’s degree.

And almost certainly deserves it.
Original post by Drewski
As if you'll get a reply... :rolleyes:

I assumed Kevin was one of the new child prodigies that has bypassed the need for an education and has gone on to make his millions.
Come on Kevin have you chosen to bypass university as it would be unable to contain you?
Reply 14
Yes, six months of training in construction is worth 6 years of academic education at university
Solution - look at job prospects before chosing a degree course/choose a vocational course that is high in demand.
I don't get how people who chose to study things like English and history at uni are in peace of mind about getting a job in the future in their chosen field...

You can make money without even being a graduate. Get an amazon business or something, it's literally a passive job alongside a job that you wanna do.
Original post by LunaCat
You can make money without even being a graduate. Get an amazon business or something, it's literally a passive job alongside a job that you wanna do.

How does one go about this?
Original post by Wired_1800
I think some people should stop studying rubbish courses at rubbish universities. Uni is now like a long holiday for some people. Then they graduate and complain about the lack of good prospects in their sector.

To me, there should a major reform of the education system. Encouraging more students to take up apprenticeships and other non-uni routes would reduce the pressure and provide a better path for many people.

Unfortunately, the system is now about making money, so students would be hounded to go to uni. Imagine paying the same fees for a dead uni when you can work harder to attend a much better uni with actual job prospects.

Too many people AND especially parents thinks uni is the way to go. Like mine think if you don't go uni you'll ruin you're life and regret it later
There should be a system in place to educate them. My parents didn't know you could get an apprenticeship etc... They just thought uni or start work ygm.
Original post by Kevin70
Yes, six months of training in construction is worth 6 years of academic education at university

So have you been to university?

If not did you go to school?

If so what have you decided to study?

Do you think you are more employable and more intelligent than a postgrad?
Original post by Anonymous
How does one go about this?

Why should i give up my secret :mmm:

It's all over YouTube ngl. There is an hour and a half video on YouTube that explains all you need to do but you'd have to invest £2000+ to begin with and do lots of research. And that can be done alongside full time job/ studies but be careful when chosing your product. Other than that you don't do ANYTHING else.

Quick Reply

Latest