The Student Room Group

Paying bills whilst renting

Hi there,

Myself and my housemate have recently moved into rented accommodation, bills not included. The letting agents weren’t very helpful in telling us where the electric, gas or water meters are, and couldn’t tell us who our current energy supplier is.

Anyway, when trying to switch to our own energy supplier of choice they always ask who the current supplier we wish to switch from is, but obviously we don’t know the answer and can’t find out. So we figured we’d wait until we got the first bill come through (presumably in the post) and we’d know that way.

But we’ve been living in the property for over a month now and have still not had any kind of energy or water bill come through the post. Is there something we’re missing? Presumably someone must be paying for it or it’s overdue, but we have no idea who to pay and how much it is? Could it still be under the previous tenants details and they’re paying?

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before when moving house or if there’s anyone here who knows what could be going on.

Cheers!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

Myself and my housemate have recently moved into rented accommodation, bills not included. The letting agents weren’t very helpful in telling us where the electric, gas or water meters are, and couldn’t tell us who our current energy supplier is.

Anyway, when trying to switch to our own energy supplier of choice they always ask who the current supplier we wish to switch from is, but obviously we don’t know the answer and can’t find out. So we figured we’d wait until we got the first bill come through (presumably in the post) and we’d know that way.

But we’ve been living in the property for over a month now and have still not had any kind of energy or water bill come through the post. Is there something we’re missing? Presumably someone must be paying for it or it’s overdue, but we have no idea who to pay and how much it is? Could it still be under the previous tenants details and they’re paying?

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before when moving house or if there’s anyone here who knows what could be going on.

Cheers!

You need to put money aside. meters are normally in cupboards or look under the sink or where the boiler is.

You can use these to find out who your gas, electric and water are.

https://www.ukpower.co.uk/who-supplies-my-gas-and-electricity

https://www.water.org.uk/consumers/find-your-supplier
I don't really see those sort of things as a letting agents problem, they are generally arranged between tenant and service provider.

Have a good look at the leccy meter for clues, branding, payment cards, inspection numbers ect, i'd be surprised if there wasn't something. Failing that ask neighbours who their with and see if there's a pattern? Phone the bigger ones and ask if your address is a customer?

In any case it's totally normal to not hear a peep out of them for 3 odd months so as Tigger said, put money by for a chunky bill.

(Here if you don't know who your provider is or what they cost how can you have a preference? :tongue: )
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

Cheers!

Previous tenants will have closed their accounts presumably, and you will not get a bill until you set up a new account. Your water provider will be based on the area you live in, contact them to set up an account e.g. if you live in Yorkshire, it's Yorkshire Water. Not all properties have water meters but your water provider will be able to tell you that. With regards to energy suppliers, when I moved I was told it was British Gas, so we called them and they saw on our account that we were actually with OVO Energy; so the provider you want to switch with should be able to find out what provider you currently have is. I really would not just leave it until a bill shows up, you could be paying A LOT, and be on an expensive default tariff. Ideally you would've taken meter readings on the day you moved in to ensure an accurate bill, it's strange you can't find a meter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending