Pre Access Course for HE - Social Work

Watch this thread
SteerMeg
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hey everyone,
So I have just joined this forum in hopes I could get some answers to my questions. I am not even sure if I am posting in the relevant section but I believe I am.
I am 22, and wasted majority of my school life messing around, not putting my head down therefore I have some GCSES but not very good results, grades D or below.
I spent last Year retaking my Maths GCSE however I do not feel confident I will be getting my Grade C in that, so will more then likely be retaking again alongside my pre-access starting in January.
I have decided I would love to be a social worker, and have been offered a pre-access to HE with my local College.
How difficult are the pre-access courses? I don’t mind a challenge and excited to start my Journey into this career.
I believe I will be allowed to retake my English and Maths alongside but would this be GCSE or functional skills?
I already have an EDEXCEL Level 1 Adult Literacy and Numeracy Certificate too, is this equivalent to functional skills?
I have looked online at my local college to kind of see what course content I would be covering but found it didn’t go into much detail about that, does anyone know what kind of content this pre-access course to HE - Social work cover?
My excitement is overtaking and I am a little gutted I could not go straight into the Access Course starting September as I am just desperate to get my career rolling but completely understand why I am not allowed.
I would love to start getting myself some books so I can start getting some knowledge and preparing for my courses, are there any books anyone specifically recommend?
I also know University’s like to see some work experience etc,
I haven’t ever done paid work before as I had my eldest son very young of whom is also disabled, and have a toddler too so I have only ever done voluntary work,
I have done Teenage Pregnancy Peer Educating in my local Schools and Colleges for my local Council and completed specific training within this and learning how to deal with different situations that the students could put you in, not only that but teaching the realities of Teenage Pregnancy, contraception methods, STIS/STDS, I have also done 1-1 referral work with vulnerable students that were being groomed online etc, just shadowing. Would this be kind of relevant experience that they would look at and consider?
I have been offered to start some voluntary work for a YOUNG MUMS Matters course being a mentor for that and offered some voluntary work in my local youth centre too which I look forward to taking up in September.
What other work experiences could I look at that would be beneficial for once I eventually do apply for Uni?
Many thanks in Advance
Megan
PrittyVacant
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I can't advise on the pre-access course you mention, but I did an access course in 2014-15 and got a place to study social work in 2015-16. I'm starting 3rd year in september this year as I took a year out to have my 4th child. I just wanted to let you know that your voluntary work is highly relevant to the field of social work, and I would encourage, if you can, to keep doing it while you undertake your pre-access and access course. Good luck
(Original post by SteerMeg)
Hey everyone,
So I have just joined this forum in hopes I could get some answers to my questions. I am not even sure if I am posting in the relevant section but I believe I am.
I am 22, and wasted majority of my school life messing around, not putting my head down therefore I have some GCSES but not very good results, grades D or below.
I spent last Year retaking my Maths GCSE however I do not feel confident I will be getting my Grade C in that, so will more then likely be retaking again alongside my pre-access starting in January.
I have decided I would love to be a social worker, and have been offered a pre-access to HE with my local College.
How difficult are the pre-access courses? I don’t mind a challenge and excited to start my Journey into this career.
I believe I will be allowed to retake my English and Maths alongside but would this be GCSE or functional skills?
I already have an EDEXCEL Level 1 Adult Literacy and Numeracy Certificate too, is this equivalent to functional skills?
I have looked online at my local college to kind of see what course content I would be covering but found it didn’t go into much detail about that, does anyone know what kind of content this pre-access course to HE - Social work cover?
My excitement is overtaking and I am a little gutted I could not go straight into the Access Course starting September as I am just desperate to get my career rolling but completely understand why I am not allowed.
I would love to start getting myself some books so I can start getting some knowledge and preparing for my courses, are there any books anyone specifically recommend?
I also know University’s like to see some work experience etc,
I haven’t ever done paid work before as I had my eldest son very young of whom is also disabled, and have a toddler too so I have only ever done voluntary work,
I have done Teenage Pregnancy Peer Educating in my local Schools and Colleges for my local Council and completed specific training within this and learning how to deal with different situations that the students could put you in, not only that but teaching the realities of Teenage Pregnancy, contraception methods, STIS/STDS, I have also done 1-1 referral work with vulnerable students that were being groomed online etc, just shadowing. Would this be kind of relevant experience that they would look at and consider?
I have been offered to start some voluntary work for a YOUNG MUMS Matters course being a mentor for that and offered some voluntary work in my local youth centre too which I look forward to taking up in September.
What other work experiences could I look at that would be beneficial for once I eventually do apply for Uni?
Many thanks in Advance
Megan
mustafa_m
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Pre-access is a GCSE course for adults. And it is for the adult students who don't have GCSE Maths & English grade C or above. I believe you can do science as well as an optional subject.

BTW Access to HE certificate on its own not acceptable by Unis without GCSE Maths & English both at grade C/4 or above (or the equivalent Functional Skills L2 Maths & English).

I know some guys who did the pre-access course the year after they passed the main access! and some went the functional skills L2 way during the summer with private funding to not wast a whole academic year.

I think Maths & English should be part of the access to HE certificate. Its time wasting for adults to do another full academic year studying just GCSE Maths & English.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
34.5%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.77%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.37%
It was TERRIBLE (16)
9.36%

Watched Threads